Hallmark rear storage bins option - anyone have it?

LosAngeles

Hi all

Am hoping to have Hallmark build us a new pop up truck camper.

Hadn’t planned on bringing a generator with us, however we already own a Honda 2000, and if we had it with us for occasional use, it would mean we could get installed on the pop up truck camper - a little less solar, and a little less battery. We like to boondock.

Hallmark offers a re-design of the back end - with higher jacks, and 2 storage compartments…. that a Honda 2000 should fit into one of them, and also a slightly better angle of departure.

Does anyone here have this option? Thoughts?

also… does anyone happen to know if those rear brake lights are legal (conforming) to Canadian safety standards? I’d hate to have an issue if we are driving in Canada. :-/

thanks

J.

Attachments

• IMG_E1950.jpg
    IMG_E1950.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_E1953.jpg
    IMG_E1953.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_E1962.jpg
    IMG_E1962.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 50

Brentos

We have a 2009 Halmark K2 that we bought in 2014. It came equipped with the storage boxes.

Overall I like them, and I'm glad the camper has them. They offer a lot of storage room, which is great for a family of 4 with 2 dogs. The will fit a generator or extra LP tanks without issue. We use ours mostly for tools, leveling blocks, a portable gray water tank, and a grill.

On the downside, the fit and finish isn't great on ours, but it was about the time they introduced the boxes. As a result, water can pool on top...ultimately running into and collecting on the bottom of them. I probably could put some effort into weather sealing the edge.

The departure angle is fantastic for a camper that overhangs the back of the bed. It actually is the same as without the camper on the truck (2005 Ram 2500). We've taken it on back roads all over the place from the desert southwest to the deep forests of the midwest, and never had a clearance issue. The only challenge is that the jacks will not extend far enough to lift the camper off the bed, necessitating blocks under the jacks.

I have no idea about the lights meeting Canadian regulations, but they would be easy to swap out if needed.

LosAngeles

super helpful - many thanks!

Hallmark said that a Honda 2000 (or the similarly sized Honda 2200) would fit in a storage bin. and also help the departure angle. This both has great appeal to us.

Have them on mine, great addition to the camper. Keep all the tools and vehicle liquids, oils, etc in them, along with grill, basically the messy stuff. Typically carry a Honda 2000 in one side and can still fit other items in with it. As Brentos said, not watertight. I ended up drilling out weep holes so water wouldn't collect in them. I have the K2 also, no problem with departure angle as of yet. They install the rear jacks up 1 bolt hole to help keep them high and out of the way, but that does necessitate blocks or jack extenders.

1R4A4801

Brentos

Nice setup Hopeless Diamond. As you can see, I use it them mainly for the messy gear too.

North of Crested Butte, CO. You can see in the box here with the leveling blocks. Yes, we even stash our garbage in there to pack it out.

On the Wind Rivers Wilderness boundary in WY, you can see we have a bike rack that swings out of the way and around the boxes.

LosAngeles

Hi Brentos - that is a slick bike rack.... may I ask what make and model is that bike rack?

and

if we get a 9.5 food Hallmark, with an 8 foot bed F350.... show would we make up the 18" that might be needed to get the bike rack out far enough to clear the back of the Hallmark?

also concerned about the leverage, of that extra distance, with the weight of the bikes, extended out 18"

thx

J.

Brentos

The rear overhang on your setup should be similar to ours (6'4" bed w/ 8' camper).

We use a Thule T2 Classic with the extra 2 bike addition, but the bike tray closest the truck has been removed. Between it and the truck, we use a RakAttach swing away system. With this setup, no extensions are needed, so no more torque than there would normally be on the hitch or rack. The RakAttach is rated for 4 bike racks, so no worries there.

RakAttach also private labels the design for Kuat racks, they have an equivalent swing away adapter.

I just switched setups to a GM 3500, we need to now carry 4 bikes, so I will be using an extender w/ 10" rise->RakAttach->1UpUsa 4 bike. I'll post back with pics when I get it mounted up.

Brentos

Another benefit is that I believe they can be removed down the road for use with a long bed truck it needed. At least for the K2.

hemifoot

Observer
i wouldn't worry about the rear lights conforming to canadian laws, in b.c. at least. when i'm towing my boat the boat trailer lights are my brake/signal lights and the camper is unplugged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier