Halley - '17 WK2 Trailhawk Overland Build

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Are you using another platform for documenting the build & travels or just nothing new to report?

Nothing new, and not documenting anywhere else! We moved to Raleigh, NC from Boston last summer and I had to close my business due to Covid, so we've been home more and just at a different place now than we were two+ years ago when this build was really underway. There's also something to be said for the fact that there's only so much I can do to the platform. I've had moments where I've thought about selling it and picking up a new project, but my wife is hesitant to do that since we love the WK2 and it's our best/largest road trip vehicle.

All that said, I do have a great trip video from a winter 2019 adventure we did... I should post that!

bobholthaus

Observer
Checking in, 8 months later. You still have Halley? I’ve always appreciated your writeups and posts. I still have my 2014 Overland Diesel, which just rolled 97,000 miles. I’ve decided to keep it for 2 more years, to give to my then 16-yr old son. I ordered a Wrangler 392 last month to “tide me over” with a new ride until I get another GC in 2024; my 2012 fully-built JKUR is for sale now. I’m so bummed that there will be no more diesel, as I love this engine for towing (boat, toy hauler, and the JK to events) and day-to-day gas mileage. It’s been a great ride.

I saw you had to close your business. I hope you guys are doing well and that you’re back at whatever you’re doing, dreaming of your next project. Thanks again for the most valuable info on the web about WK2s. Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dmski

Adventurer
How many miles are on the WK2 these days? I've been reading through your build thread and it's giving me ideas. I sold my Titan Swapped Xterra and now am left with my wifes Overland which has gotten me thinking about some fun things to do to it to make it less of a wheeling rig and more of a camping trip rig.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
How many miles are on the WK2 these days? I've been reading through your build thread and it's giving me ideas. I sold my Titan Swapped Xterra and now am left with my wifes Overland which has gotten me thinking about some fun things to do to it to make it less of a wheeling rig and more of a camping trip rig.
You might be waiting a while for your reply. This member hasn't been around in a long time.
I say, build up your overland and enjoy it. Share some pics of your build a trips here!

2180miles

Endurance Adventuring
Checking in, 8 months later. You still have Halley? I’ve always appreciated your writeups and posts. I still have my 2014 Overland Diesel, which just rolled 97,000 miles. I’ve decided to keep it for 2 more years, to give to my then 16-yr old son. I ordered a Wrangler 392 last month to “tide me over” with a new ride until I get another GC in 2024; my 2012 fully-built JKUR is for sale now. I’m so bummed that there will be no more diesel, as I love this engine for towing (boat, toy hauler, and the JK to events) and day-to-day gas mileage. It’s been a great ride.

I saw you had to close your business. I hope you guys are doing well and that you’re back at whatever you’re doing, dreaming of your next project. Thanks again for the most valuable info on the web about WK2s. Bob Holthaus - St. Louis, MO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey @bobholthaus! SO late replying here. I think EP stopped sending me notifications. Closed the business in 2020 due to COVID, moved from Boston to NC, built a big garage for the toys, bought a Porsche, had a baby girl (who is now a year and a half) and am living a totally different life as far as adventuring goes. Once a month or so I get out of the house for a 250+ mile high speed backroads drive with a local Euro car club. Most of our New England Overland group split up and bought more utilitarian vehicles... some even outfitted a Sprinter van and did 85,000 miles as as "van-lifers".

The WK2 is in the driveway and ready for a new set of Falkens, but we've sold 2 of our 3 rooftop tents, put the remaining one on a storage rack under the screen porch, and the Wilco Hitchgate lives in the garage in between our weekend trips to the Smoky Mountains.

Just rolled 53,000 earlier this month. I'm glad the thread is giving you ideas. I stand by the fact that this is a great, albeit less popular, platform to build a capable and comfortable rig out of. It's certainly not a "wheeling rig" the way my TJ Wrangler locked and lifted on 35" MTR/Ks is, but the WK2 is a rig that will get you deep into the backcountry for a weekend or week then will drive you 700 miles home in comfort.

You might be waiting a while for your reply. This member hasn't been around in a long time.
I say, build up your overland and enjoy it. Share some pics of your build a trips here!

I appreciate your comment here - it actually got a notification through to a buddy of mine (thanks @rob cote) that someone commented and he told me to check in on this thread!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles