Half Torsion axle + idler hub question

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
Looking to start a trailer build soon and I'm going to be using some half torsion axles. I have a 5th gen 4Runner that I'd like to run Toyota wheels on the trailer as well to have spares on hand etc.

Most of the 2-3,500lb axles come in a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Instead of running wheel adapters, I'd like to just have the proper idler hub assembly to start.

The "bare" axle set I'm looking at are these:

The problem is finding an idler hub that'll work to be able to run 4Runner 17" Off-Road stock wheels. I talked to someone at etrailer.com and the only ones they have fit up to a 16.5" wheel...

I'm waiting to hear back from Truckspring.com to see if these hubs will work:

I know some people have experience with running Toyota 17" wheels on their trailers (and people with general trailer axle knowledge) so just trying to pick some brains here.

smike95

Interesting enough, I did the exact same thing you are describing. I had considerable trouble getting everything to come together, but it absolutely can be done. Here is a link to the hubs I purchased, but unfortunately they are out of stock:

Southwest Wheel 6-Hole, 5.5" Bolt Circle Idler Hub for 3,500 lb. Axles https://a.co/d/4fM1TiL

Maybe you can find that part number somewhere else.

If you mount the half axles with the outside edge flush with the outside of the frame, your tires will rub the frame. I added 2 inch hub centric spacers, but if you are really worried about your width, could probably get by with 1.5 inch.

Feel free to ask more questions if you need, I can send some pictures. This can be daunting, but you’ll find the parts you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

smike95

I have ordered several custom axles and there is always a choice on bolt circle pattern. All those axles also had track custom to the inch. And they were less expensive than the hardware store Canadian Tire, Princess Auto.... stock axles only available in 5', 6' tracks.

Go to a spring, truck, trailer suspension shop.... they will build what you want.

This where adding where you live makes a HUGE difference.... where do you live....

Someone might have a local solution.

I explored this route when I built my camper. I got a quote from a local trailer shop. For a torsion axle, custom width, it was going to be something like 600-800, without hubs, and 6 or 8 weeks lead time. At that time, the half axles weren’t in stock anywhere, but I found a right and a left on eBay. I overpaid to get them, and I ended up about 800 with hubs if I remember correctly. Maybe different shops would have better results, but I felt like the half axles were my best bet at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bdiddy11

Adventurer
I'm in Idaho, Nampa to be exact. I've look at the various axle options and would like to go with the half torsion for extra clearance/independent suspension aspect of it.

I've sourced some options in the 3,500lb range.

The dilemma I have now is to either get some with electric brakes and run an adapter for Toyota wheels or go a bit cheaper and run without brakes. The cost of a 3500 lb half torsion axle w/6x5.5 bolt pattern hubs + hub centric adapters is gonna run about $672 and a a 3500 lb half torsion axle with electric brakes with a 5x4.5 to 6x.5.5 hub centric adapter will be about $861 (from what I've been able to source). We don't do any hardcore trails so not sure if we should splurge for the ebrakes just to err on the side of caution... or save some money and put it towards other trailer glamping goodies.

The frame is going to be 4.5x6 made from 2x2x.120 wall with 1x1x.120 wall verticals all clad in some 16 gauge sheet metal with 36" tall sides. Ideally with a battery setup for a fridge down the road (RTIC cooler for now), a 20-30 gal water tank for showers, dishes (5 in our family) running some matching tires/wheels in a 255/75/17 flavor.

1000arms

... Where I live in BC the braking point is over 2950#. ...
:unsure: ... Interesting pun? ... :)

Perhaps the braking breaking point? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94