Hairy Apple's camping trailer build.

jwiereng

Do you think is necessary to media blast or remove the mill scale before painting?

I’m asking myself the say thing on a recent frame built.

hairy_apple

Adventurer
Do you think is necessary to media blast or remove the mill scale before painting?

I’m asking myself the say thing on a recent frame built.

I have no idea! I know for powdercoating, you have to sand blast stuff very clean. Paint I am not sure. I think my friend who's trailer this will be, is going to have it professionally painted, so I guess we'll leave that up to the paint guys. I would think so though, since it's a little greasy and oily. I would think to get the best possible paint, the milscale might need to come off. Then again, most of the time it seems like you do a lot of sanding before paint anyway, might get enough of it off that way. I have no idea. I'm not a body/paint guy at all.

You need a clean surface free of millscale/rust/oxides before applying any coating or it won’t adhere properly. For bigger surfaces just use a flap wheel or nylon abrasive disk to clean off most of the junk. Use acetone or equivalent to remove any oil or grease just before painting and you’ll be glad you did:))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

46flattie

Observer
Great build and love the metal work. Trailer axle spindle for the spare tire swing away? I've used them before for that and they work great! Curious as to why you are swinging the tailgate one way and the spare the other?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier