Hagertys Top 6 Picks

85_Ranger4x4

Well now I am thinking about the Scout ,I think I may have had a bit of a rarity . It was a single cab pickup . If I remember correctly it did not have a separate box ,but part of the body .It had a small removable bolt on top and a steel panel that separated the box from the cab . The box was small,like 4 feet long if that . and yes everything rusted to hell in Buffalo back then .

They made Broncos like that too.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Well now I am thinking about the Scout ,I think I may have had a bit of a rarity . It was a single cab pickup . If I remember correctly it did not have a separate box ,but part of the body .It had a small removable bolt on top and a steel panel that separated the box from the cab . The box was small,like 4 feet long if that . and yes everything rusted to hell in Buffalo back then .

When the Scout was first produced it was marketed as a multi purpose vehicle for a variety of uses including agricultural. One of the options was a single-cab that turned it into a tiny pickup.

That option was rarely ordered which is why you don't see many of them around now. As others have pointed out, half-cab Bronco's and Jeeps were also sold in very small numbers.

85_Ranger4x4

When the Scout was first produced it was marketed as a multi purpose vehicle for a variety of uses including agricultural. One of the options was a single-cab that turned it into a tiny pickup.

That option was rarely ordered which is why you don't see many of them around now. As others have pointed out, half-cab Bronco's and Jeeps were also sold in very small numbers.

They were all pushing the ag thing pretty hard. By all rights the Scout should have had the edge since they were sold at IH dealers. Jeep was even trying to market Jeeps as tractors for awhile.

aKSSgm-qj8qbu2rdC70NUbTz30ISE6OixiTiKoLkeaR7CGtdty1j5pY8ONXvhHbkp5aSX-q43p2V-xFivAAOZuWdaAC8

mobydick 11

They were all pushing the ag thing pretty hard. By all rights the Scout should have had the edge since they were sold at IH dealers. Jeep was even trying to market Jeeps as tractors for awhile.

aKSSgm-qj8qbu2rdC70NUbTz30ISE6OixiTiKoLkeaR7CGtdty1j5pY8ONXvhHbkp5aSX-q43p2V-xFivAAOZuWdaAC8
Ha ha yes as I recall we used to refer to the bigger international dump trucks as corn binders , or was it hay binders ? Something like that. I don't think the scout was sold at ag dealers though , it was the truck division . There was only one dealer in all of buffalo I think . It was the beginning of the sport utility area .

85_Ranger4x4

Ha ha yes as I recall we used to refer to the bigger international dump trucks as corn binders , or was it hay binders ? Something like that. I don't think the scout was sold at ag dealers though , it was the truck division . There was only one dealer in all of buffalo I think . It was the beginning of the sport utility area .

It all died before my time. I think some dealers were both truck and ag.

I know grandpa broke the interior door handle on his pickup and the handle to a IH 1066 tractor cab was identical.

Halligan

Adventurer

Corn Binder is the slang term people use for International trucks. My father had a late 70's Scout with the Rallye package when I was young. It had the V-8 engine and the original owner put on a custom dual exhaust that dumped in front of the rear wheels. The truck sounded good but ultimately my father installed a factory single exhaust when it needed to be replaced. This was in the early 80's when an exhaust would last about 2 years and rot off.

mobydick 11

Corn Binder is the slang term people use for International trucks. My father had a late 70's Scout with the Rallye package when I was young. It had the V-8 engine and the original owner put on a custom dual exhaust that dumped in front of the rear wheels. The truck sounded good but ultimately my father installed a factory single exhaust when it needed to be replaced. This was in the early 80's when an exhaust would last about 2 years and rot off.
would that have been a second generation then? I am not sure if the V8 came in the first generation like we had . I am thinking are scout must have been early to mid sixties

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
IMG950026.jpgIMG950024.jpg
My friend in Alaska sent me these pics, these are at an abandoned homestead about 20 miles from his house, just rotting away in the grass, the white one is a factory 4 speed with A/C, very rare.

DCH109

Adventurer
I could agree with just about everything on this list BUT the Defender. When was the last time you saw an accessibly priced Land Rover Defender? For 28K that they are commenting on, I could pick a slew of better choices to fill this slot and all in the same range as the others.

Halligan

Adventurer

Yes it was a Scout II, probably a '77 or '78.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz