H-D plans an adventure tourer for 2020

haven

Expedition Leader
Harley Davidson sales have declined a bit in the past year, particularly in USA. To increase interest and sales, H-D is planning to introduce several new models in the next few years. Of interest to readers in this section of the forum is an adventure touring model called the Pan America. Above is a screen grab from a brief video that introduces the Pan America.

Cycle World has done a frame by frame analysis of the Pan America video, and thinks the new model will sport a 1200cc DOHC water cooled engine, trellis frame with engine as a stressed frame member, chain and sprocket rear drive (not the belt used by H-D street cruisers), adjustable front and rear suspension, 33 inch seat height, and electronic traction controls. Weight of the new bike is expected to top 550 lb, similar to other machines in the 1200cc class. Here’s a link to the article
https://www.cycleworld.com/breaking-down-harley-davidson-pan-america-frame-by-frame

Last edited:

autism family travels

HA HA clutch. Damn, that thing makes BMW's look beautiful! Also, they come with oil absorbing mats to put under it when parked in the wilderness to prevent environmental damage. I think they are changing the name from the pan America to the Valdez for release date.

autism family travels

Harley Davidson sales have declined a bit in the past year, particularly in USA. To increase interest and sales, H-D is planning to introduce several new models in the next few years. Of interest to readers in this section of the forum is an adventure touring model called the Pan America. Above is a screen grab from a brief video that introduces the Pan America.

Cycle World has done a frame by frame analysis of the Pan America video, and thinks the new model will sport a 1200cc DOHC water cooled engine, trellis frame with engine as a stressed frame member, chain and sprocket rear drive (not the belt used by H-D street cruisers), adjustable front and rear suspension, 33 inch seat height, and electronic traction controls. Weight of the new bike is expected to top 550 lb, similar to other machines in the 1200cc class. Here’s a link to the article
https://www.cycleworld.com/breaking-down-harley-davidson-pan-america-frame-by-frame

Making it the lightest Harley ever produced HA HA.

MTVR

Making it the lightest Harley ever produced HA HA.

Sorry for the necropost, but...

Ask any Harley-Davidson "lifestyle enthusiast" what the most successful racing motorcycle of all time is, and they won't have a clue.

Give them some hints by describing it- 295 pounds, 26 degrees of rake, a wheelbase of less than 57", chain final drive, 31" seat height, 748cc displacement, 100 horsepower, 8,000 rpm redline, and they still won't have a clue.

This is particularly ironic, because the most successful racing motorcycle of all time is the Harley-Davidson XR-750.

The reason that they don't know this, is because Harley-Davidson "lifestyle enthusiasts" are not motorcycle riders- to them, the motorcycle is simply the largest and most expensive element of their Walter Mitty costume.

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
I don't know I put 100,000 miles in 3 years on an Electra glide and all the hardest core riders I know are Harley riders. I put a pretty high number of miles on my road glide and on my road Kings. Only bike I put more miles on in a single year was my r1100s.

MTVR

I don't know I put 100,000 miles in 3 years on an Electra glide...

I don't know what I find more difficult to believe- you putting three times as many miles on your motorcycle as the average U.S. motorist drives every year, or a Harley-Davidson lasting 100,000 miles. Either way, I'm not buying it.

and all the hardest core riders I know are Harley riders.

Okay, I'm calling B.S. on that- I see plenty of Harleys being trailered from place to place, parked in front of bars, being washed and waxed in suburban driveways, and holding up traffic on their Sunday afternoon rolling costume parties, but I don't see them actually being ridden on long trips.

And with all due respects, your definition of the word "rider" may be much more liberal than mine- I generally reserve the word "rider" for motorcyclists that actually know how to ride, and I don't think I've ever met a Harley owner that actually knows how to ride.

jadmt

ignore button user
I don't know what I find more difficult to believe- you putting three times as many miles on your motorcycle as the average U.S. motorist drives every year, or a Harley-Davidson lasting 100,000 miles. Either way, I'm not buying it.

Okay, I'm calling B.S. on that- I see plenty of Harleys being trailered from place to place, parked in front of bars, being washed and waxed in suburban driveways, and holding up traffic on their Sunday afternoon rolling costume parties, but I don't see them actually being ridden on long trips.

And with all due respects, your definition of the word "rider" may be much more liberal than mine- I generally reserve the word "rider" for motorcyclists that actually know how to ride, and I don't think I've ever met a Harley owner that actually knows how to ride.
you can believe what you want. I got paid to ride 40 hours a week and trained yearly on the track. i would then ride on my days off. We would ride 400 miles for a good cup of coffee and ride home for dinner. I did my first iron butt when i was 18 before an iron butt was even a thing las vegas to missoula, mt. I have owned sport bikes, dirt bikes, Dual sports and touring bikes. Never had a bike on a trailer and just because you see plenty of harleys on trailers does not mean there are not plenty of guys who ride hard day in and day out.

Last edited:

MTVR

... just because you see plenty of harleys on trailers does not mean there are not plenty of guys who ride hard day in and day out.

How many miles do you get out of a pair of Harley tires?

Last edited:

jadmt

ignore button user
How many miles do you get out of a pair of Hatlet tires?
Hatlet tires? I am not familiar with that brand. I almost always ran oem Dunlops and depending on road surfaces anywhere from 6000 to 10,000 miles A set. Never had a flat in all the miles. It is pretty simple to pull the wheels and I have buddy who has a snap-on tire machine so easy to put new rubber on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles