GXV Patagonia on Volvo chassis

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

9203-copy-11.jpg

What would one do with a vehicle like that?

D

Deleted member 9101

Love it!
(except for the color.... Kind of tired of trucks that color...lol)

AMBOT

Adventurer
Seeing how those chassis standup to the Alaskan roads in things like ice road truckers and gold mining shows it may handle a lot, as long as it fits.

AMBOT

Adventurer
Agreed, someone looking at a dynamax Rv that wanted more rough road abililty would be well served with this.

D

Deleted member 9101

Ahhh.. looked closer at the pics... it's an auto... no thanks. If it was a straight-10 it would be pretty damn awesome.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
Ahhh.. looked closer at the pics... it's an auto... no thanks. If it was a straight-10 it would be pretty damn awesome.

I'm not sure if the Volvo USA truck use the I-shift that is available in the Euro trucks, but it's a great gearbox and drivers seem to love them. They can be loaded with different software depending on the use, and can be shifted to operate in manual mode whenever needed. One of the software packs uses a GPS receiver so that the truck knows which road you're on and where, and will select the right gear before an incline to avoid inopportune downchanges.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm not sure if the Volvo USA truck use the I-shift that is available in the Euro trucks, but it's a great gearbox and drivers seem to love them. They can be loaded with different software depending on the use, and can be shifted to operate in manual mode whenever needed. One of the software packs uses a GPS receiver so that the truck knows which road you're on and where, and will select the right gear before an incline to avoid inopportune downchanges.

While all of that sounds good, I'd rather float gears and make gear selections based of experience and forethought... can't quite imagine the thought of letting a rig do it for me...haha.

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Our clients provide us the trucks typically, so when this owner showed up with this Volvo you can imagine our excitement. This truck was a pleasure to build. It was so nice to get to build on a NEW TRUCK!!! Most of our clients want to do world travel, making a pre 2007 chassis a must
and as a result most trucks we build on are 10 to 15 years old and look it , and it's a challenge to make them look as good as they mechanically are.

This Volvo is probably the nicest chassis we have seen. The photo does not do the color justice. This Volvo shifts like the nicest car built, and has a 13 liter engine with an abundance of power and the quietest cab in the truck world. It is a large build, but it has good visibility and the steering stops are set up to it make it very maneuverable for a larger rig. It had its challenges, but the owner is a brilliant person that understands Expedition Vehicles, and had a clear understanding of exactly what he wanted built.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Our clients provide us the trucks typically, so when this owner showed up with this Volvo you can imagine our excitement. This truck was a pleasure to build. It was so nice to get to build on a NEW TRUCK!!! Most of our clients want to do world travel, making a pre 2007 chassis a must
and as a result most trucks we build on are 10 to 15 years old and look it , and it's a challenge to make them look as good as they mechanically are.

This Volvo is probably the nicest chassis we have seen. The photo does not do the color justice. This Volvo shifts like the nicest car built, and has a 13 liter engine with an abundance of power and the quietest cab in the truck world. It is a large build, but it has good visibility and the steering stops are set up to it make it very maneuverable for a larger rig. It had its challenges, but the owner is a brilliant person that understands Expedition Vehicles, and had a clear understanding of exactly what he wanted built.

Thanks Michael - I really like the look of it, and know plenty of folks fulltime domestically with Volvos. The lack of a driven front axle, size, ULSD, etc just make me curious about what it will be used for.

michaelvanpelt

Observer

Clean1

Observer
What looks to be the same truck was converted by Tulsa Truck manufacturing http://www.tulsatruckmfg.com/
The owner wanted the vehicle as low as possible but have all wheel drive, so Tulsa used a hydraulic driven front axle for
the front of the vehicle. Sounds like the owner did a lot of research for his options. By the way Todd at Tulsa was full of information on class 8 truck conversions.
IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0869.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles