GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Could be Waveslider...
We were running over to Deer Park WA and saw it parked next to Duluth Trading Company. I pulled in and spoke with them, actually the wife as he was on the phone. They are _offtherock on Instagram and have been hanging out in MT the last week as the Canadian border closure has postponed their Alaska plans. Really nice truck and nice people.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
It was really cool to see it up close and in person. She said they cruise about 67 on the freeway and get about 9 mpg. Have 160 gallons of water, 160 of fuel and solar with lithium batteries.

gregmchugh

Observer
It was really cool to see it up close and in person. She said they cruise about 67 on the freeway and get about 9 mpg. Have 160 gallons of water, 160 of fuel and solar with lithium batteries.

Tires are rated for 68 mph, I limit at 65 and also have gotten 9 mpg on the highway. We have 130 gal of water, 200 gal fuel, and 720 AH lithium and 1000 watt solar on ours.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
We were out and about this weekend but were further south than CDA. During the summer, you'll know its us its towing a drift boat or a whitewater raft setup for fishing! I forget the owner's names of the other Beige one (its nicer than ours if I'm being truthful)

EDIT: And we are getting around 7ish mpg but are doing a LOT of small road/mountain pass that could easily go to 9+mpg on the highway. We are a bit lighter with 98gal water, 90 fuel

Mike Van Pelt

This whole virus thing has pushed our plans back by a year. A couple more questions.

What drove people to choose a K370 over an International Workstar? One obvious difference is the overall length for any given box size and probably turning circle. I personally find the Kenworth to be more visually appealing from the outside and more modern on the inside.

With the K370, are you stuck with the maximum of 250 HP and 660 lb ft? Is this adequate for people living in the mountainous west compared to say the Cummins L9 available in the Workstar with 350 HP and 1,000 lb ft? Can the PX7 be chipped for more performance? Can one get a PX9 in a K370 at a reasonable price?
The rest of the story if you will. The M1078 weighs between 17,000 and 18,000 BEFORE a body is started and that's in a 4x4. The K370 with 260 HP weighs 12000 with 4x4 added. Also the M1078 4x4 is rated at 26000 GVW and the 6X6 is rated at 33000 lbs GVW. The K370 is rated at 33000 but bumped to near 37,000 when 4x4 is added and can be higher but most when complete finish less than 24000 to 25000 lbs. Some as much as 27,000 to 28,000 Consider the weight to HP ratio and a new truck with Cummins/ Allison and all pretty much off the shelf common standard parts vs military gear reduction axles, 12/24 volt combo alternator (difficult to get) and starter relays that go out that are also hard to find and then compare.

Zuri

The rest of the story if you will.

That is something that I hadn't thought through. An unchipped Kenworth has about the same horsepower per ton as the Workstar and about 8.5 lb ft of torque less than the International. A chipped K370 has a definite power to weight advantage.

I think that my strategy of buying a K370 with the next series of gearboxes up to future proof it and living with it for a while before considering chipping it makes some sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles