GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

gregmchugh

Observer
There have been at least two extended cab Kenworth K-370 trucks built by GXV. The one shown below has been delivered to a customer and it is the shorter cab extension that I have seen. A truck with a longer extension has also been built but I have not seen a delivered truck with that extension. In addition to the added interior size for the cab, there are some other added benefits: The roof engine air intake has been moved to the side which allows the roof rack to be flat across the roof and of course larger than the regular size roof rack. There is room for a ladder on the driver side of the cab to access the roof rack and the cabin roof.

Note that the European DAF LF truck (the basis for the K-370) has larger cab options but only the daily cab is built and sold in North America for Kenworth and Peterbilt (PACCAR includes DAF, Kenworth, and Peterbilt brands).
5771A133-E905-4D60-8697-6FCDAB42EAE0.jpeg

Zuri

This whole virus thing has pushed our plans back by a year. A couple more questions.

What drove people to choose a K370 over an International Workstar? One obvious difference is the overall length for any given box size and probably turning circle. I personally find the Kenworth to be more visually appealing from the outside and more modern on the inside.

With the K370, are you stuck with the maximum of 250 HP and 660 lb ft? Is this adequate for people living in the mountainous west compared to say the Cummins L9 available in the Workstar with 350 HP and 1,000 lb ft? Can the PX7 be chipped for more performance? Can one get a PX9 in a K370 at a reasonable price?

gregmchugh

Observer
This whole virus thing has pushed our plans back by a year. A couple more questions.

What drove people to choose a K370 over an International Workstar? One obvious difference is the overall length for any given box size and probably turning circle. I personally find the Kenworth to be more visually appealing from the outside and more modern on the inside.

With the K370, are you stuck with the maximum of 250 HP and 660 lb ft? Is this adequate for people living in the mountainous west compared to say the Cummins L9 available in the Workstar with 350 HP and 1,000 lb ft? Can the PX7 be chipped for more performance? Can one get a PX9 in a K370 at a reasonable price?

We chose it since we prefer a cabover for the reasons you mentioned, turning circle, overall length, and view out the cab.

Here is the PX-7 spec sheet. Not sure if Kenworth offers PX-7 engine upgrade options after delivery via calibration changes or not but you can check. Not likely you can get a PX-9 into a K-370 easily but maybe some diesel shop would try it. Plenty of aftermarket diesel tuning options available but I expect they would void the 3 year engine warranty.

Our truck at 28,000 lb is not overpowered and we slow down along with the other semi trucks in the mountains. We are retired and in no hurry so it works for us. Our 2018 engine is 260 HP, not 250 , but still 660 ft lb torque.

Zuri

We chose it since we prefer a cabover for the reasons you mentioned, turning circle, overall length, and view out the cab.

<snip>

Our truck at 28,000 lb is not overpowered and we slow down along with the other semi trucks in the mountains. We are retired and in no hurry so it works for us. Our 2018 engine is 260 HP, not 250 , but still 660 ft lb torque.

Thank you. We are also retired.

The tuning idea is a good one. It seems that 300 hp and 850 ft lbs is in the realm of possibility which puts it into the lower end of the PX9 range with warranty risk. My 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 diesel has 260 hp and 480 ft lbs by way of comparison.

I think that the Kenworth is about 3'8" shorter overall than the International for any given box size which is material.

gregmchugh

Observer
Thank you. We are also retired.

The tuning idea is a good one. It seems that 300 hp and 850 ft lbs is in the realm of possibility which puts it into the lower end of the PX9 range with warranty risk. My 2020 Dodge Ram 1500 diesel has 260 hp and 480 ft lbs by way of comparison.

I think that the Kenworth is about 3'8" shorter overall than the International for any given box size which is material.

need to check that the transmission can handle the added torque...

waveslider

Outdoorsman

Isn't the wheelbase longer on the IH - which would also have an impact on the overall maneuverability? I can report that our 170" wheelbase KW has some pretty amazing turning capability to get in and out of some pretty tight spots.

Zuri

I can report that our 170" wheelbase KW has some pretty amazing turning capability to get in and out of some pretty tight spots.

How long of a box can you fit onto a 170" wheelbase KW? The relative advantages and disadvantages of 18', 20' and 22' boxes are myriad.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Just saw one headed south on 95 in Coeur d'Alene ID. It was a beige color. Didn't get a good look at it as we were going north. Is it anyone's on here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles