GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

Daurie

I believe our truck with the 18.5 ft body weighed in at right around 21K. Add 1100 lb of water, 1388 lb of diesel and a full stock of recovery equipment, tools and all the things you need I would expect to be around 25-26K max. I've been on some soft sand and on some somewhat rough terrain. Aired down to around 60 psi it did well in moderately loose sand. Keep in mind the tires are designed to operate at 110 psi max. As far as traction goes we had no trouble getting up a fairly loose steep grade in 4wd lo. It has a locking transfer case and I believe it locks front and rear drive axles once engaged. With the locking rear we had plenty of traction. I can see where a front locking diff would be desirable and I'm sure its available but I didn't see the need. I did opt for manual hubs and I think GXV is putting them on all the Kenworth trucks standard now. The first one didn't have them. I'll double check but I really believe the massive divorced transfer case that is going in the Kenworth isn't a "center diff" but a true locking transfer case.

Attachments

• 2012-06-01 001 008.JPG
    2012-06-01 001 008.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 104

gregmchugh

Observer
Our 20 ft box weighed in at 22,415 lb at delivery from GXV. It was delivered from Kenworth at 10,412 lb before any mods for 4wd, etc.

Last edited:

gregmchugh

Observer
greg, have you weighed it fully wet and loaded with gear? on a split scale so you can get each axle weight?

what are your capacities for fuel and water?

i thought it would be more like 26k -30 fully loaded and wet... perhaps i overshot the mark...

thank you in advance,

Have not weighed it yet but plan to when we have it loaded up for the trip to Alaska.

I think your estimate is accurate for a 20 ft box configuration like ours.

As I noted above, I expect it to weigh at least 26,000 lb fully loaded with full fuel and water. I have not guessed at the weight of the stuff we are loading into the truck but in addition to the standard stuff for camping, it includes equipment for recovery and tire changing in addition to a regular set of tools. Still deciding on bringing one of our inflatable kayaks. Looking at the Pakayak modular kayaks as an option. We are planning to get a cab roof rack when we get back in the fall. You can see the bumper and a roof rack on the latest build shown on the GXV website...

http://globalxvehicles.com/patagonia-on-kenworth-2017-3/

135 gallon fresh water and 200 gallon diesel fuel.

As originally delivered from GXV it weighed 22,415 lb and since then we added several upgrades that would increase the weight: heavy duty front bumper with winch, King shocks, and new cab seats.

Here is ours as it was delivered before the recent upgrades...

http://globalxvehicles.com/patagonia/patagonia-on-kenworth-2017-2/

Last edited:

Zybane

Greg I think I saw an interview of you on Youtube with your rig. I love the computer chair and mini desk. Do you hook your chair to the wall with a bungee cord or something when you travel?

gregmchugh

Observer
Greg I think I saw an interview of you on Youtube with your rig. I love the computer chair and mini desk. Do you hook your chair to the wall with a bungee cord or something when you travel?

Yes, that was me being interviewed.

Chair is held against the wall with a small ratchet strap when traveling. Without opposing bench seats or a dinette on the side you don’t have a second bed location so that is a consideration.

Herk72

Ditto here for what both Greg and Daurie mentioned. I have a 20’ version of the Patagonia and actually weighed it out of curiosity. It came in at 27,400 fully loaded with fuel, water and our winter gear. It has the storage boxes on the rear, 7 solar panels on the roof, cab roof rack and front/rear winch.

Henry

Herk72

David - The length is 29’. My typical interstate speed is around 65 but it can do more. As far as maintaining speeds on grades, it depends on the pitch. On the interstate for example, I can usually maintain cruising speed if the grade is gradual and I stay on it. On steeper grades it does slow as Greg previously mentioned.

I haven’t measured the turning radius but it’s about as good as my 2500 crew cab truck. Remarkably good in my opinion.

Herk72

Thank you..sorry I missed that comment from Greg on grades and speed... great vehicle..

Is that 29' including your boxes on back?

Do you have a front game guard bumper? If so does it include that?

What tires did you guys go with? 445? 425?
Yes, The 29' includes the rear boxes and f
We have the 425 tires and recently added the front bumper as shown on Herk72’s vehicle shown on the GXV website (link below). GXV is developing headlight protection to be added to the bumper which we will be getting along with the cab roof rack this fall when we return from Alaska.

http://globalxvehicles.com/patagonia-on-kenworth-2017-3/

Yes, The 29' includes the rear boxes and front bumper. That's one of the advantages of the cabover setup. You can get a good sized living area while keeping the overall vehicle length down.

gregmchugh

Observer
Ours was a little over 26 ft as delivered before we added the front bumper. We will only have a hitch mount bike rack for our two bikes on the rear (a Voltbike Mariner electric folding mini fat tire bike and a regular bike). We have the spare inside the garage area and no rear external storage boxes so only the bikes on the back. With the bikes we will probably be about the same length as Herk72.

gregmchugh

Observer
I have a couple of fat tire folding e bikes.. radpower mini ... Love them...

Wouldn't it be better to keep the bikes inside and the spare outside? I mean... Who cares if the spare gets dirty...???

All comes down to trade-offs in the design. We wanted the 2 ft of full height storage in the rear along with the underbed storage so we have a garage door in the rear and two side doors into the storage area. The spare tire is inside along the side on the passenger side so it does take up some inside storage space. With the garage door you would need a swing away tire carrier to have the tire mounted outside which is doable. Bikes take up more space inside than the spare tire so we would be losing storage space by moving the bikes inside and moving the spare outside. We will have a cover on the bikes so they won’t get very dirty from travel but they get dirty in any case from riding them and need to be washed regularly so keeping them inside to keep them clean doesn’t seem to be an advantage in most cases. Swinging the tire out of the way whenever you open the garage door is not a big deal and swinging the bikes down to open the garage door is not a big deal. So, just the way we ended up making the trade-offs in the design...

gregmchugh

Observer
I have a couple of fat tire folding e bikes.. radpower mini ... Love them...

Wouldn't it be better to keep the bikes inside and the spare outside? I mean... Who cares if the spare gets dirty...???

I was originally going to get the Rad Power Mini but after looking at the Voltbike Mariner I decided to go with it. The standard bike includes the fenders and the step over height is lower (I am an older guy) and the customer feedback on shipping and initial quality seemed to be better with Voltbike than with Rad Power. Not as powerful a motor but I don’t think that will bother me.

Zybane

Any of you guys wish to discuss who your insurance is and the cost on these recent GXV's? I've got a quote for $350K used GXV from Progressive for $5000/year which seems quite high.

gregmchugh

Observer
I am paying around $3500 per year for a Progressive Full Timer RV policy on our Kenworth Patagonia which is registered in Sarasota FL where we are domiciled (sold our house and live in the truck). Not sure how much it effects the premium but we are retirees in our late 60’s with good driving records and no recent insurance claims.

In terms of pricing for the truck, I won’t give the price of ours but GXV quoted a base price of $430,000 for the Patagonia on the Kenworth when it was introduced last year. Each vehicle is custom designed, the price will increase when you add length to the camper body, select heating and electrical options, and add other options to the base configuration which can be extensive.

The agent I used is in Montana and specializes in RV insurance...

Keith Nelson
Garden City Insurance
Phone: (866)444-1084

Fax: (406)549-8527

keith@gardencityins.com

Zybane

I am paying around $3500 per year for a Progressive Full Timer RV policy on our Kenworth Patagonia which is registered in Sarasota FL where we are domiciled (sold our house and live in the truck). Not sure how much it effects the premium but we are retirees in our late 60’s with good driving records and no recent insurance claims.

In terms of pricing for the truck, I won’t give the price of ours but GXV quoted a base price of $430,000 for the Patagonia on the Kenworth when it was introduced last year. Each vehicle is custom designed, the price will increase when you add length to the camper body, select heating and electrical options, and add other options to the base configuration which can be extensive.

The agent I used is in Montana and specializes in RV insurance...

Keith Nelson
Garden City Insurance
Phone: (866)444-1084

Fax: (406)549-8527

keith@gardencityins.com

Thanks greg, good info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles