GXV Patagonia on the Kenworth K370 chassis

jostalli

Observer
The two lifting roof Pangea Unimogs for sale at GXV are the orange Perky Mog at $580,000 and a newer essentially unused silver one for $660,000 and another smaller size lifting roof model. Not sure you can pick up a lightly used GXV for 50% off of new but it will be less than new with no waiting time for a build...

Right. How much do you think they paid for Perky Mog? And is that $580k their bottom dollar price? Doubtful. It's still for sale. Someone will buy it for half of what they paid.

gregmchugh

Observer
Right. How much do you think they paid for Perky Mog? And is that $580k their bottom dollar price? Doubtful. It's still for sale. Someone will buy it for half of what they paid.

Is this your conjecture or do you have examples of used GXV vehicles that sold for half of what they cost? How old were these vehicles? Just interested in understanding if there is actual sales data behind your statements...

I didn't know this thread was about finding your next truck but I'll try and help.

Your first requirement is met with most expedition trucks as they are typically built with a 6'5-6'6" interior height. Your second requirement is met with a few performance modifications. The Unimogs can have their HP increased and with fast axles they are 75mph highway speeds, monster climbers, and can tow a trailer (if that's your thing). We have met many European overlanders with expedition trucks (mostly Unimogs, Mercedes and Man trucks) and since we are interested in building one I grill them all with questions.

75mph is NOT a good idea for Unimogs for a lot of reasons. It is ok if it is GEARED for 75mph and one does not exceed 55-60mph, but driving 75 is quite dangerous for so many reasons...

Charlie

Daurie

K370

Hey Greg, we are going to run down to MO this summer to (hopefully) sit in one. But can you compare how roomy the KW cab is compared to a FUSO? Have you been in both? Meaning, driver/passenger headroom and legroom and overall ergonomics? Bigger, smaller or the same? The FUSO seems cramped, but admittedly that's completely due to my size. Just wondering how different the KW is.

I'll interject here. I'm getting the second Patagonia / K370 from GXV. Hope to have it in late May. I use Fuso FE cab overs for my service trucks and I can tell you the K370 is significantly larger than a Fuso. I'm not sure I'd want an FG (4x4) but I can say that we use and load the hell out of our FE's and they keep on trucking despite not getting the love they deserve if you know what I mean. They are all late 90's chassis.

The K370 is not so big that I think it will be cumbersome and hard to get in tight spots but it's a decent size rig. We have visited GXV a few times now to see the progress. Look forward to reporting back once we take delivery.

Daurie.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Daurie,

Thanks for chiming in and congrats on the new rig. Sounds like you have a good frame a reference for both vehicles. My "ask" was more about a comparison the actual size of the cab/cabin of the two vehicles. The ergonomics of the FUSO don't work for me as I'm too tall and I'm wondering how you find the Kenworth as compared to Mitsu in driver comfort and roominess? It sounds like with the KW they can cut the pass thru a tad larger and allow the driver seat to lean back a little further for more room which would be a bonus.

I'm not sure but I think the Cabs on the FE's are the same are the same or similar to the FGs. I would be curious to hear your comparison in any case. Again, congratulations on getting your new rig (soon)

gregmchugh

Observer
I'll interject here. I'm getting the second Patagonia / K370 from GXV. Hope to have it in late May. I use Fuso FE cab overs for my service trucks and I can tell you the K370 is significantly larger than a Fuso. I'm not sure I'd want an FG (4x4) but I can say that we use and load the hell out of our FE's and they keep on trucking despite not getting the love they deserve if you know what I mean. They are all late 90's chassis.

The K370 is not so big that I think it will be cumbersome and hard to get in tight spots but it's a decent size rig. We have visited GXV a few times now to see the progress. Look forward to reporting back once we take delivery.

Daurie.

Hi Daurie,

Been wondering if the owner of the second GXV on a Kenworth might show up here. Our cabin just came back from painting and the Kenworth arrived at GXV from the dealer this week. I guess we are about a month behind yours or maybe less.

Nice to see you here...

Daurie

Wave, you should have plenty of leg room. It's a roomy cab. I'm 5'10 and have decent room in the Fuso. I'm sure the FG cab is the same as an FE. The K370 has a good bit more as I recall. There was a question about the 4wd conversion and that may have been answered but it's about 30 grand and we went with locking / unlocking hubs. Unlocking the front hubs will no doubt free up some MPG. GXV sends it off to Ohio maybe to have that done and it looks factory when they get it back.

We went with a 4kw inverter too. We added a washer/dryer. We do a lot of running and hiking so washing workout clothes every couple days is imperative ha. I can go weeks in the same pair of jeans or shorts but I can't stand to smell stinky running socks or shorts.

Greg what part of the country you in? Daurie Schwartz in Memphis on Facebook. Send me a friend request and we can follow each other's adventures. Have you seen our truck by chance? We are certainly looking forward to getting it.

Daurie

gregmchugh

Observer
Daurie,

We were last there at the end of January so we didn't see anything on your build. We are in the Detroit area. I will look you up on Facebook...

Greg

ScottReb

Adventurer
I cant wait to see more of both your trucks! Very jealous. FYI the RUF Fuso was built on a FM 260 if I recall, I think its a bit different animal than a FE or FG.

Sagestone

Observer
Thank you Daurie for your feedback. Anxious to discover more details about the 4x4 conversion. Manually locking hubs...check. Will you have a switch on the dash or a lever selector for choosing 4 wd high and/or low range? Or is this system providing only 4 high? Did you opt for the factory locking rear differential (switch on dash)? Would be appreciated if you post some actual pics of your rig. How exciting! Congratulations. Dean

utahpow

Daurie & gregmchugh, are either of you posting progress photos and detailing your visit to GXV or will do-so in a blog, Insta, FB, etc? I'm interested in following along. Thx -

gregmchugh

Observer
I am not documenting the build but will be glad to try to answer any questions. I will post some photos after it is delivered in June.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles