GX470 Suspension Recommendation

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Looking for suspension recommendations for my 2006 GX470 (currently 123k miles, stock suspension, 265/70r17 c load bfgs)

Uses/Planned Mods:
1. Non daily driver
2. Long road trips with crap dirt roads/tracks thrown in. Very minimal crawling.
3. Tow an extremely light trailer (500lbs)
4. 3rd row removed
5. Dual batteries
6. Hidden winch mount (50lbs)
7. 8-9500lb winch with synthetic line (60lbs)
8. 2 pretty light people vast majority of the time
9. Light weight drawer system
10. Aluminum skids
11. Sliders
12. Fj cruiser 8.2 w/elocker axle swap

Desired outcome:
1. Minimal lift to maintain mpgs and cv
2. Maintain excellent road manners
3. Comfortable as possible offroad (especially washboard) with a bit of increase in travel
4. Reliable for next 50k miles
5. Around $2,500 or less all in

Questions:
-Do I need a diff drop kit for 2"?
-Do I need UCAs for 2"?
-What suspension kits would you recommend?

Some contenders (will use Metal Tech rear coil conversion with isolators):
-Toytec boss (with what options?)
-Dobinson MRR or regular(reliable?)
-Ironman nitro/foam/profoam? (Which one)
-Old man emu
-Icon stage 1

Chiz45

I have had my GX for about a year and a half now. If currently sits on Billstein 5100s with FJ factory springs, and SSO rear conversion. I am running 255/80-17s with fender liner mods and trimming of the passenger front fender corner to stop rubbing. After the 5100s, my CVs started seeping, but new clamps stopped it. (http://www.pfranleds.com/cv-clamp-kit-6-piece/). I know it's only a matter of time before my boots have to be replaced, as I see cracking. Something to consider with your height/angle change.

I want to update to Dobinson's at some point (https://www.treatyoakoffroad.com/category/dobinsons) because my current spring rate is softer than I would like. According to GXOR, 2" lifts do not require UCA or diff drops, but it's your truck and YMMV. I have experience with OME on an 80 and Icon on a 5th gen 4runner, and both performed well.

Are you staying with 265/70? The spare tire location (if you are planning on storing your spare underneath) is not very generous, and can't fit much more than 275/70 at stock height. People on GXOR and forums claim to fit fully inflated 285s but I know mine couldn't in its current configuration. I have the full OEM tow package and a 3/4" spacer lift that came with the SSO conversion. Removal of the tow package and a higher lift supposedly gives you more room for 285 fitment.

Asfir, ARB make lightweight skid options. There are several other companies making steel options, but I haven't researched them yet.

Consider joining the Facebook GXOR page, there is a wealth of information available there.

Last edited:

JLee

Adventurer
Diff drops in the GX are a bad plan - they reduce clearance more than they help with CV angle.

D

Deleted member 96197

I'm currently running OME 2" with 255/80R17 Cooper ST Maxx, at nearly 100k miles my front shocks/springs were toast, so I went with this while I build it out the rest of the way. With 2" I'm not worried about the CV angle, although my old boots are pretty worn out, and I'm looking at upgrading with CVJ for piece of mind.

My end result is similar to yours, I threw these on because I needed to do something right away, although for future extended trips over rough roads (when I ship her back to CONUS) something with a reservoir is going to be in order to keep the shocks from fading over long distances. There is a lot of new (to us) stuff coming out of Australia these days, but I don't have any experience with any of them. I'm leaning toward ending up with ICON or King reservoirs. This will stress your $2500 budget, but they are tried and true.

I like the ride height at +2" the belly on these things hangs a little low, so 2" makes a significant difference.

As for gas mileage, I've already taken a pretty solid hit, 33's (without regear) + 2" lift, pushed me from 18 avg to 15 avg.
IMG_3784.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I have had my GX for about a year and a half now. If currently sits on Billstein 5100s with FJ factory springs, and SSO rear conversion. I am running 255/80-17s with fender liner mods and trimming of the passenger front fender corner to stop rubbing. After the 5100s, my CVs started seeping, but new clamps stopped it. (http://www.pfranleds.com/cv-clamp-kit-6-piece/). I know it's only a matter of time before my boots have to be replaced, as I see cracking. Something to consider with your height/angle change.

I want to update to Dobinson's at some point (https://www.treatyoakoffroad.com/category/dobinsons) because my current spring rate is softer than I would like. According to GXOR, 2" lifts do not require UCA or diff drops, but it's your truck and YMMV. I have experience with OME on an 80 and Icon on a 5th gen 4runner, and both performed well.

Are you staying with 265/70? The spare tire location (if you are planning on storing your spare underneath) is not very generous, and can't fit much more than 275/70 at stock height. People on GXOR and forums claim to fit fully inflated 285s but I know mine couldn't in its current configuration. I have the full OEM tow package and a 3/4" spacer lift that came with the SSO conversion. Removal of the tow package and a higher lift supposedly gives you more room for 285 fitment.

Asfir, ARB make lightweight skid options. There are several other companies making steel options, but I haven't researched them yet.

Consider joining the Facebook GXOR page, there is a wealth of information available there.

Thanks for the info. I'm on GXOR but find the FB format hard to weed through compared to a forum.

I plan on staying with the 265/70. I don;t need anything bigger for what I like to do and I want to run the factory spare location.

chunko

Observer
Thanks for the info. I'm on GXOR but find the FB format hard to weed through compared to a forum.

I plan on staying with the 265/70. I don;t need anything bigger for what I like to do and I want to run the factory spare location.
Staying with the stock size tire will definitely help maintain your current mpg. Although I have 255 75 17 (Just shy of 32") Cooper AT3's and found that I can still get up to 19 mpg highway on long trips. This size also fits in the stock spare location very easily.

As far as suspension, I think going with any 2.5" shock package greatly improves the performance of these vehicles. I have a set of used radflo's on mine and love how they soak up bumps on dirt roads. Also, I have 620 lb 2" lift springs and find that they are just about right for not having any extra weight up front. I have my shocks adjusted for very minimal lift (I like a slight rake) and installed UCAs but only as future proofing since I plan on adding a hidden winch setup.

Trimming the bumpers will probably yield the greatest benefits to your approach and departure angles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dcg141

Adventurer
I'm going with a 2 inch lift and 265/70-17's. I want to try and keep some of the stock fuel mileage.

JLee

Adventurer
Any thought on the Ironman pro foam cell?

I love mine, though I think it'd be a bit rough if you're mostly stock otherwise. I have a hidden winch, full skids (aluminum), sliders, and rear bumper / tire carrier and IMO it rides just about perfectly.

WhiteH2O

Observer
Any thought on the Ironman pro foam cell?

This is what I'm currently running. I like them, but I don't love them. I think that is because I'm way heavier than stock- over 6k#- and I feel like they are a tad soft for my taste, even with the heaviest spring rates. I think it is possible that I'm expecting a $4000+ suspension feel for less than half that though. That being said, they are a brazillion times better than Bilsteins that these replaced. I think that for your use, they would be a solid option paired with the correct spring rate. Mark at MetalTech would be able to get you all set up with a phone call; he can talk about lots of different set-ups and give you a good recommendation as well.

eloist

Adventurer
I'm installing a metaltech conversion, and a dobinsons front and rear kit with 2" medium front springs, and 1.75" medium rears this weekend.
I'll report back once we get it done and do some shakedowns.

JLee

Adventurer
This is what I'm currently running. I like them, but I don't love them. I think that is because I'm way heavier than stock- over 6k#- and I feel like they are a tad soft for my taste, even with the heaviest spring rates. I think it is possible that I'm expecting a $4000+ suspension feel for less than half that though. That being said, they are a brazillion times better than Bilsteins that these replaced. I think that for your use, they would be a solid option paired with the correct spring rate. Mark at MetalTech would be able to get you all set up with a phone call; he can talk about lots of different set-ups and give you a good recommendation as well.

That is pretty heavy. I felt my FCP's were too stiff before my rear bumper / tire carrier (though the front was perfect with hidden winch), so the sweet spot is probably around 5k lbs?

OME BP51s with Toytec HD Superflex rear springs. Heavy springs for the front COs.

Not for 2500 bucks though :/. I'd rethink that # if at all possible....buy once cry once?

Exigis

Last year did the following on my 08 GX because my original rear air suspension system was breaking. This setup gave me a 2" lift and a nice smooth Lexus style ride with better road handling. I didn't have to change the other suspension parts on the SUV like control arms etc. On washboard roads, I have gone 40-45mph on them without batting an eye. The 265/70/17 BFG also fit in the spare. I'm very happy with this setup except the only caveat is that Icon coil-overs recommend maintenance every 15K miles for street/dirt driving or when a leak develops (I wish I looked at this stat before).

SSO GX470 AIR TO COIL SPRING CONVERSION KIT
Moog K160072 Coil Spring Insulator
Icon Rear 2.0 Shock 56505
Icon Rear Coils 52700
Icon Front Coilover 58640
265/70/17 BFG AT load e

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne