GX470 Advice (2003 vs 2004)

I3erto

Found two GX 470s. One 2003 with 150k miles all maintenance done, service records from new, needs alignment done, but otherwise great shape, original owner for 8k. One 2004 with 125k miles all maintenance done, new rear shocks, but no records, broken cd player, cracked dash, 3rd owner for 9900. I am leaning toward the 2003, but was hoping the good people here would way in as well.

Car will be a daily driver (drive maybe 10-12miles a day) and used for camping and light offroad (basic overlanding - no rock crawling).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

JLee

Adventurer
The cracked dash can be replaced by Lexus under warranty.

My last purchase was a 2005 w/KDSS, 179k miles, maintenance up to date (ball joint boots are tearing, timing belt at 120k so due in ~30k), some body damage (dent on the driver's door, scuffed up bumpers) for $8150. Between those two options, I would get the 03 without question.

I prefer 2005+ for the VVT-i motor, though many people insist there's a minimal difference (~35hp). No-nav is generally preferable because the upgrade options are severely limited because the climate control system is integrated with the OEM navigation setup. GROM V-Line is the only upgrade option now. If you're not there yet, check out the GXOR group on Facebook. It's ridiculously active and there is a lot of knowledge there.

XPLRMOR

Nothing beats service records and checking it out. How do the fluids look? Has the timing belt been done? How are the manifolds (very pricey), do they leak? Given a chance I would hold out for with the VVT-I like JLEE suggested, unless of course your looking at a smoking deal. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose!

I3erto

Thanks. I agree the non-nav would be ideal, but I just couldn't find one. Seems there is a mixed bag on the 03-04 vs the 05 and later, I read some things that said the air injection in the 05 and later could be problematic at times and are expensive to fix. I had it checked out by a mechanic and the only issue is the alignment is slightly off and needs a brake job in the front. Apparently it got new pads but not new rotors so it has a little shimmy when braking. Other than that all it needs is a new rear wiper blade. The mechanic and the smog guy actually wanted to buy it off the guy if I wasn't going to. It seems like a pretty smoking deal.... 03' with 150k miles for 8400. So it seems like a good decision.

JLee

Adventurer
Thanks. I agree the non-nav would be ideal, but I just couldn't find one. Seems there is a mixed bag on the 03-04 vs the 05 and later, I read some things that said the air injection in the 05 and later could be problematic at times and are expensive to fix. I had it checked out by a mechanic and the only issue is the alignment is slightly off and needs a brake job in the front. Apparently it got new pads but not new rotors so it has a little shimmy when braking. Other than that all it needs is a new rear wiper blade. The mechanic and the smog guy actually wanted to buy it off the guy if I wasn't going to. It seems like a pretty smoking deal.... 03' with 150k miles for 8400. So it seems like a good decision.

The air injection can fail - there's a Dorman part availble for ~$100 to fix it or you can install a bypass kit and eliminate it entirely.

drizzler

Looking at an '03 with 111K miles

It's listed by a local used car dealer for $10,500. BB value for private party in Oregon has it pegged at $7,600 - $8,500. I want it for a daily driver and to pull some light off road duty hauling bikes, roof top tent, canoe, SUP and two kids on backcountry weekends and camping trips. Im new to the forum and joined in hopes of getting inspired to work some mods into this rig or one like it.

Can anyone offer up a list of items I should be looking for before I negotiate for this rig? There are some service records to go with it, but I have not seen them yet. I'm mechanical, but I only try to fix stuff as it comes up if there is a youtube guide I can follow. What I dont know is what I should be looking for that could be coming down the pike in terms of major services or wear out components that are going to be expensive to fix. I also would like to know how much to budget for a 2.5-3" lift (OME or similar) if I am going to need to have it installed by a pro.

Thanks

I3erto

Look to see the timing belt and water pump were replaced. Those need to be done every 100k. Possibly the radiator. No leaks in the engine (that's a really big one). Some have issues with the rear airbag suspension but if ur swapping it out anyway that wouldn't be a deal breaker. Not too much rust. I would just find a local mechanic to inspect outside of the used car dealer. Other than that these trucks are pretty bomb proof and should give u plenty more miles. The ones in really good shape seem to go a little higher than kbb. At least down here in Southern California. And then what the above posters said non nav models are easier to upgrade to more modern tech in the console. Hope that helps

Cheers!

JLee

Adventurer
It's listed by a local used car dealer for $10,500. BB value for private party in Oregon has it pegged at $7,600 - $8,500. I want it for a daily driver and to pull some light off road duty hauling bikes, roof top tent, canoe, SUP and two kids on backcountry weekends and camping trips. Im new to the forum and joined in hopes of getting inspired to work some mods into this rig or one like it.

Can anyone offer up a list of items I should be looking for before I negotiate for this rig? There are some service records to go with it, but I have not seen them yet. I'm mechanical, but I only try to fix stuff as it comes up if there is a youtube guide I can follow. What I dont know is what I should be looking for that could be coming down the pike in terms of major services or wear out components that are going to be expensive to fix. I also would like to know how much to budget for a 2.5-3" lift (OME or similar) if I am going to need to have it installed by a pro.

Thanks

I would call Mark at MetalTech4x4 (they're in Oregon) and ask him about the Ironman Foam Cell Pro suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior