GX460 vs LX470?

Portage2Forage

Hi All,

Have a budget of roughly $20k to buy my next vehicle.

Have 2 dogs, a motorcycle that I’d like to hitch to the back and a Flycraft boat.

Narrowed it down to 1998-2007 LX470 or 2010-2013 GX460. Leaning LX simply because I think they are quite comparable and like the aesthetics of them much better.

Questions
1.) Is there a huge cargo difference between the two if you aren’t using the 3rd row seats?

2.) Plan to eventually get a travel trailer. Is one better than the other for towing?

Any other considerations that would make you lean one over the other?

Our other vehicle is a new outback. This would primarily be used for long roads trips and fishing trips.

Going to test drive both this week but wanted some insight going into it.

Thanks in advance!

T-Willy

I recently looked at both in person. The most important difference I observed is that the LX has more cargo room. Its third row seats fold up or can be removed, whereas the GX third row seats fold into floor, resulting in a considerably higher floor height.

Portage2Forage

I recently looked at both in person. The most important difference I observed is that the LX has more cargo room. Its third row seats fold up or can be removed, whereas the GX third row seats fold into floor, resulting in a considerably higher floor height.

Thank you! Was thinking that may be the case.

Pull the trigger on either?

I was ready on 2 but were gone by the time I called, will have to keep watching.

T-Willy

Thank you! Was thinking that may be the case.

Pull the trigger on either?

I was ready on 2 but were gone by the time I called, will have to keep watching.

We did not, but both are sturdy and comfortable platforms.

We actually pulled the trigger on a second, lower mileage triple-locked 80 series instead. Had we gone the Lexus route, we'd probably go for the 570 (with a low lift and different tires and wheels) simply because its cargo volume is similar to the 80 which our gear pack is based on. With technology advancing so quickly, it's an awkward time to be shopping. We went with another 80 (and will retire the other) on a five year plan, with an eye toward something much newer later, when there are hopefully capable hybrid touring options available.

Portage2Forage

We did not, but both are sturdy and comfortable platforms.

We actually pulled the trigger on a second, lower mileage triple-locked 80 series instead. Had we gone the Lexus route, we'd probably go for the 570 (with a low lift and different tires and wheels) simply because its cargo volume is similar to the 80 which our gear pack is based on. With technology advancing so quickly, it's an awkward time to be shopping. We went with another 80 (and will retire the other) on a five year plan, with an eye toward something much newer later, when there are hopefully capable hybrid touring options available.

yeah, good call.

That is my plan as well. Get something that will be very reliable and meet our needs for the next 10 years then hopefully something in the hybrid/electric space will be available that meets those same needs.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
The 100 series/LX470 will be wider in the cockpit than the GX460 but the GX460 doesn't give up any space in the cargo area with the third row jump seats still installed on the LX470. If the jump seats are removed then the LX will obviously have more cargo room. The motor in the GX has a timing chain instead of a belt like in the LX, it has a radiator that isn't prone to cracking like the one in the LX and it has a six-speed transmission instead of the 5-speed. The GX makes just as much torque as the V8 in the LX and it makes 26 more horsepower. Both have a towing capacity of 6500lbs so they are comparable there.

Will the LX470 feel slightly roomier, yes. Will it be older tech and not as comfortable to live with on a daily basis, yes. I'd pick the GX between the two purely for the better and newer drivetrain but if looks and slightly more interior room are the most important attributes it's hard to beat the 100/LX470. Both are starting to get long in the tooth but I am willing to bet that you'll have a harder time finding a clean low mile LX470 in your price range as they are slightly older and going for silly prices at the moment.

Sacmaster

I have both- an 03 LC and a 13 GX. I go back and forth on selling one of them since they really are fairly similar.

The GX is much more refined and quiet. It’s a bit more nimble too. It is not as roomy in the front, although the back seats are pretty similar. The 03 has more room to stretch my legs while I’m driving, and I think the seats are more comfortable. The cockpit of the GX is narrower. It’s also much more modern compared to the 100. The AC seats are nice but not as soft as the seats in the 100. The cargo area in the 100 is much larger, and I prefer the tailgate to the side opening door on the GX. I feel like the 100 tows better. Yes the engines have similar power but the 100 is a more stable tow platform. The GX gets better mileage by about 4mpg which is significant.

Overall I really like them both. If I could buy a brand new 100 with updated electronics it would be the best of both worlds. So my answer is I can’t answer the question.

Portage2Forage

I have both- an 03 LC and a 13 GX. I go back and forth on selling one of them since they really are fairly similar.

The GX is much more refined and quiet. It’s a bit more nimble too. It is not as roomy in the front, although the back seats are pretty similar. The 03 has more room to stretch my legs while I’m driving, and I think the seats are more comfortable. The cockpit of the GX is narrower. It’s also much more modern compared to the 100. The AC seats are nice but not as soft as the seats in the 100. The cargo area in the 100 is much larger, and I prefer the tailgate to the side opening door on the GX. I feel like the 100 tows better. Yes the engines have similar power but the 100 is a more stable tow platform. The GX gets better mileage by about 4mpg which is significant.

Overall I really like them both. If I could buy a brand new 100 with updated electronics it would be the best of both worlds. So my answer is I can’t answer the question.

Thanks so much, this was reallyhelpful!

Put a deposit on a 05 LX470. Everything seems to be checking out, appears to have been well maintained on the carfax. Going through an inspection at the Toyota dealership currently. A few small cosmetic issues on the exterior but for what I will be using it for, that won’t bother me much.

Appreciate everyone’s input! Hopefully this works out, looking forward to flying out and driving it home.

KarmaKannon

We have been looking for a different car for my wife and I've been pushing the gx pretty hard. I have an 06 tundra so the engines at least are very similar and the reliability is very higher. I started to consider the lx but damned if I can find much that doesn't have 200-250k miles. I see many gx470 with around 150k and that's a more comfortable place for me personally.

Not that either the lx or gx can't go 300k miles plus without a major issue. The lx might be better towing with slightly more vehicle weight and slightly longer wheelbase. The gx still isn't light not is it very short so I think either would do it. How tongue weight impacts either is beyond me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles