Gx460 secondary air pump issue

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have been looking for my next adventure buggy and for many reasons have zeroed in on the early GX460s. Being a Toyota guy, I wanted to stick with the traditional reliability and quality past experience has proven.

However, it seems the GX has some not minor problems? Rear air suspension is well known and now I'm reading about secondary air pump problems that can stick you in limp mode and is expensive to fix. And common?!

any insight on these concerns? Perhaps a 4Runner would be a better long term option?

Last edited:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
If a pump fails it can put you in limp mode but a simple hack will keep you back going full speed. I did the bypass mod on our 06 LX470 before I had any problem and never looked back.

bkg

Explorer
Gonna ask a stupid question.

Lx570, gx460, 4Runner. OP has been looking for vehicles for a few weeks in numerous different threads (really could be consolidated, IMHO), which is all well and good.... but we are comparing apples to oranges to pine cones with the differences in vehicles... and other than hunting and light trail work, there is not nearly enough information provided to help answer the OP’s somewhat circular questioning.

So... what do you Want? What do you need? And why so impatient on getting a new vehicle that you’d look at three very different options? /confused

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Gonna ask a stupid question.

Lx570, gx460, 4Runner. OP has been looking for vehicles for a few weeks in numerous different threads (really could be consolidated, IMHO), which is all well and good.... but we are comparing apples to oranges to pine cones with the differences in vehicles... and other than hunting and light trail work, there is not nearly enough information provided to help answer the OP's somewhat circular questioning.

So... what do you Want? What do you need? And why so impatient on getting a new vehicle that you'd look at three very different options? /confused

I appreciate your interest in my now three month old quest. If that is impatient... I started inquiring here as my frustrations grew and opportunities diminished. Let me clue you in a bit more: 1) I live remotely, far from a large population base and my local options are very limited. 2) I am casting a wide net to hopefully zero in on a rig that works and also isn't a piece of crap. 3) I have wasted two airfares looking at LX's that passed carfax and texted pics only to have serious, deep corrosion problems. I learned that many Lx460s have pretty serious corrosion problems due to a second party coating supplier used by Toyota and Nissan. 4) Second choice is the GX460, and by asking questions here I am learning more from informed members. 5) 4Runner is my least favorite option and of course, is plentiful. There are many different models offered now compared to the last ‘95 I owned, so again I'm trying to learn about them.

The common denominator here is a slightly used, comfortable SUV with off road chops made by Toyota in a price range they all slot into. Better?

Last edited:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
If a pump fails it can put you in limp mode but a simple hack will keep you back going full speed. I did the bypass mod on our 06 LX470 before I had any problem and never looked back.

Thanks for the input. Is this a mod you do yourself like the PHH on an 80 or does it require new components? I see some kits people have ordered but no follow up info thus far. Is resetting the OBDII the hack to get going again?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input. Is this a mod you do yourself like the PHH on an 80 or does it require new components? I see some kits people have ordered but no follow up info thus far. Is resetting the OBDII the hack to get going again?

The air pump bypass in a 5 minute plug and play with zero issue or special knowledge. They say you once the key goes to the on position you should start the vehicle within a small time window. But because wife girls also use the vehicle for travel I tested it and left the key on for extended periods of time and nothing has ever showed up so I never told them they had to do anything special. For me it seemed less problems to do the bypass rather then explain how to get the LX out of limp mode to the girls.

IIRC the hack requires you to unplug the pumps and do a reset but you get a code but drivability is restored. Some thing I did want to explain to my wife on the phone when she is in Mexico. ~$200 and never look back

SnoViking

Adventurer
Hey OP, Call up your local dealer and ask about it. From what I've read over on Club Lexus; most people are getting these fixed as impromptu recalls. My 2010 had it done by the local dealer right before I bought it and it was a zero cost repair. I ended up replacing the little foam filter with a clamp on UNI filter just in case.

bkg

Explorer
I appreciate your interest in my now three month old quest. If that is impatient... I started inquiring here as my frustrations grew and opportunities diminished. Let me clue you in a bit more: 1) I live remotely, far from a large population base and my local options are very limited. 2) I am casting a wide net to hopefully zero in on a rig that works and also isn't a piece of crap. 3) I have wasted two airfares looking at LX's that passed carfax and texted pics only to have serious, deep corrosion problems. I learned that many Lx460s have pretty serious corrosion problems due to a second party coating supplier used by Toyota and Nissan. 4) Second choice is the GX460, and by asking questions here I am learning more from informed members. 5) 4Runner is my least favorite option and of course, is plentiful. There are many different models offered now compared to the last ‘95 I owned, so again I'm trying to learn about them.

The common denominator here is a slightly used, comfortable SUV with off road chops made by Toyota in a price range they all slot into. Better?

Wasn't trying to offend. Just piecing the pieces together of the various random threads/questions. Easily could be in one thread, but that's besides the point.

Look at it from "the reader's point of view." Three very different vehicles being asked about, three different areas of focus, so it's hard to respond with any "advice" when, other than "Toyota suv" there is nothing tying them together. They are all just that different.

If a 570 fits your needs, keep looking. If a 460 is better, keep looking. Don't settle for a 4Runner because the others have some issues that need to be corrected - all vehicles have issue, including a brand new 4Runner.

Point being - don't compromise on needs or wants simply because it's been a challenge.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Wasn't trying to offend. Just piecing the pieces together of the various random threads/questions. Easily could be in one thread, but that's besides the point.

Look at it from "the reader's point of view." Three very different vehicles being asked about, three different areas of focus, so it's hard to respond with any "advice" when, other than "Toyota suv" there is nothing tying them together. They are all just that different.

If a 570 fits your needs, keep looking. If a 460 is better, keep looking. Don't settle for a 4Runner because the others have some issues that need to be corrected - all vehicles have issue, including a brand new 4Runner.

Point being - don't compromise on needs or wants simply because it's been a challenge.

Problem is, I am out of time after three months looking and dealing with sellers BS in many situations. We have 15 inches of snow and while the Camry does quite well with snow tires, it wont take me skiing, snowshoeing, out for backwoods photography, and worse still if a situation arose that I NEEDED to get out in inclement weather, I would have a problem.

LX570 - 4Runner - Gx460 - all fit what I am looking for and in the same price range with only model year variances.

As far as one thread - 1) this has been an evolutionary process protracted by experience, 2) I doubt many on ExPo really care.

But thanks to new info, I am going to look at a GX this coming week as its only 300 miles away

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Trail

I responded on one of your other threads. If it were me I’d go GX and never look back. You are bound to have something come up on ANY vehicle but I wouldn’t shy from it as long as it’s within reason. Just get a Trail edition 4Runner. It’ll hit on everything you’re looking for without the need to run premium plus you have a plethora of mods available. As for me when spring hits I’ll be looking to buy a 10-13 GX. Cheers!
DAC01D29-F71F-486A-8DB9-FD1BF6A8D760.jpegEE9A1F97-B479-47D1-80C7-DFE881DFFBEB.jpeg

hayde89

I am fine with these questions as I am moving from a 2016 4runner trail edition to a used GX preferably a 2010, LX 470 or Land Cruiser. But if I had to buy a 4runner again I would go for the 2010-2013 trail edition. In my opinion that was the most rugged 5th gen they made.

MightyP

Observer
The GX and 4runner are close-ish. The LX is a very different animal. If you want the extra size and to stick with a V8, you might consider the Sequoia or even a Tundra. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles