GX vs 4Runner - is GX too "fancy" for me?

rstl99

Adventurer
The deal on the 2011 4Runner fell through, but I just bought a pretty nice 2004 GX470. Happy with it so far. Nothing wrong with a bit of luxury, indeed!!! ;-)

IMG_7656.jpgIMG_7661.jpg

MrWesson

Adventurer
The deal on the 2011 4Runner fell through, but I just bought a pretty nice 2004 GX470. Happy with it so far. Nothing wrong with a bit of luxury, indeed!!! ;-)

View attachment 348057View attachment 348058

Great choice and color.. They look awesome with the side skirts removed and aggressive tires.

I came so close to buying one(same color too) and like some things vs the 4Runner..

They are all 4wd.. being in Florida and sifting through dozens of ads trying to figure out if a 4runner is 4wd sucks.

I think they look better both in stock form and modified.. Just my opinion.

Cool to have something different.. You wouldn't notice a GX just driving around but with a couple of modifications those suckers will snap necks vs a modded 4runner(which is more common sight).

They have a nice upscale interior.. Its what you see and touch that matters day to day..

Enjoy your ride i'm looking forward to seeing what could have been vs my current setup.

Last edited:

wingysataday

Adventurer
I love my GX. It's gonna stay around for a while. We have 3 kids already and just getting started so 8 passengers is pretty awesome!

ulyist

You'll be happy with the 470, couple things to look for is the transfer case shift actuator leaking (fixed on the 2005 and newer models same as the AWD 4runner) and pin holes in the radiator but that may just be for the ones with the 6500lbs tow package and it looks like yours has the 5000lbs package. Here they are cheaper then comparable 4runners so thats how i got mine.

JLee

Adventurer
The aftermarket for the GX's is exploding. OPOR sliders are now KDSS-compatible, SouthernStyleSpeed makes bumpers, MetalTech now makes a front bumper and rumors are they're working on a rear bumper as well. Someone on ih8mud posted up a roof-mounted LED bracket setup. 4th gen 4R / FJ suspension works, and you can easily convert the rear air to coils.

I had an 07 for a while and sold it after I moved to the rust belt. I was shopping for a new older one within a day...

NMBruce

Adventurer
The aftermarket for the GX's is exploding. OPOR sliders are now KDSS-compatible, SouthernStyleSpeed makes bumpers, MetalTech now makes a front bumper and rumors are they're working on a rear bumper as well. Someone on ih8mud posted up a roof-mounted LED bracket setup. 4th gen 4R / FJ suspension works, and you can easily convert the rear air to coils.

I had an 07 for a while and sold it after I moved to the rust belt. I was shopping for a new older one within a day...

Metal tech will have a rear bumper out in a month or two

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier