GX 470, 460 suspension lift concerns

Lmg

I am considering trading off my Jeep Wrangler JK for something with more towing capacity. I would like to go back to the Toyota family, so just today I started researching the GS470 and GX460 and I am impressed by what I see so far. However my last Land Cruiser was a 100 series and I had issues with a 2-3" lift, which included the Slee Diff Drop Kit. With a trailer connected and/or when accelerating to maintain speed on a hill, or for passing, the front end would lift enough that I had vibration in the front end. That is one reason that I have always preferred live axle in front, and that is why I now have a Wrangler.

So if I get a Lexus GX 470 or 460 and install a 2-3 inch lift, will I be having these issues again?

Who makes the best lift suspensions for these vehicles?

Thank you in advance for your input.

I have not lifted my Gx470 yet but it is coming. I will use Old Man Emu system. I have been a Jeeper since I was 14 years (now pushing on 50) old and have built flat fenders to TJs for offroad use. I had a Tacoma before my GX and really liked its all around use. I really like the GX and will not be going back to a jeep (now dodge) vehicle. Like you I want to tow and I still use the rig for some off highway trips. I dont think you will be disappointed.
Good luck

Neosapian

Innate Outdoor Co
A lot of people choose an excessively high front spring rate when they lift their rigs. Loading the rear axle with gear or hitch weight will exaggerate the front spring’s rebound rate and the nose will inevitably rise as weight shifts rearward, unloading weight from the front wheels. Momentary mis-alignment of tire’s contact patch, light or vague steering, shuttering and vibration in the case of failing bearings or CV axles. This sounds about right to me.

Choose a conservative shock and spring rate for the front of your short wheelbase truck, and you’ll avoid the sagging, Bro Lean, headlight glare and handling issues often attributed to these trucks when heavily laden...

At least that’s how ARB Australia and ARB of Seattle advised me while planning the OME lift for my 4.7L 4runner.

You mileage may vary.

Lmg

Washingtondave: I have had good luck with OME on my LC100 and 3 JK Wranglers. They would be my first choice as long as I am confident that my previous experience will not be repeated. I started with a 1978 FJ55 in 1981, probably about the time you started with Jeeps..

Neosapian: That is exactly what I did, plus replaced the front drive shaft/CVs, plus added air bags in the rear. That is why I am so gunshy about going back to IFS.

Thank you both for your input.

Stover

I'm buying a 2004 GX470 that has a 2" OME suspension w/Metal Tech rear coils springs. Brought it home tonight for an extended test drive. I will say this: The rear rides noticeably stiffer then stock. I kinda want to figure out a way to run bags in the 2" lifted arrangement. Gotta buy it first...

karlmagnum

Observer
Can't go wrong with OME. Bought this kit for my FJCruiser because it was on sale at 4wheelonline. Very pleased with the result and ride quality. My friend is running OME BP-51s and coils with SPC UCA on his GX460 .

moose545

Dobinsons and Ironman4x4USA are good options too. I run Dobs now, HD 2", later I like the Ironman FCP kit, 2.5-3", need to get UCAs then and BMC chop potentially, and bigger wheels and tires then, etc. That's later :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles