GX 460 Research

ajn507

We went from a 4th gen V8 4runner to a 06 Land Cruiser to a 5th gen 4runner to a GX460.

I was never happy with the 5th gen. The trans/ wheel size/ gear ratio/ engine torque combo wasn't the best. Always seemed to hunt for gears on the highway when traveling at 65+mph. I'm not a big fan of the GX exterior but it has been a fantastic vehicle and I don't plan on replacing it for a long time. And if we did I would seriously look at a newer model year GX460, that is how happy we are with it.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We went from a 4th gen V8 4runner to a 06 Land Cruiser to a 5th gen 4runner to a GX460.

I was never happy with the 5th gen. The trans/ wheel size/ gear ratio/ engine torque combo wasn't the best. Always seemed to hunt for gears on the highway when traveling at 65+mph. I'm not a big fan of the GX exterior but it has been a fantastic vehicle and I don't plan on replacing it for a long time. And if we did I would seriously look at a newer model year GX460, that is how happy we are with it.

I agree, it is very dated (our 2011 looked identical and that was nearly 10 years ago) and they didn't attempt to update it with the latest revision aside from adding the already five year old LX steering wheel. Even with the lackluster infotainment and interior layout, it is still far and away a much better option when compared to the 5th Gen. I didn't think that the GX would be a long term option when we finally decided to add one last year, but the misses truly enjoys it (in some ways more so than the LX) and I can see keeping it until we hit 150-200K miles. In less than six months we've already racked up over 9K miles so it's getting some love.

I wish Toyota would fix the air injection pump failures. It's an expensive repair that seems to happen often to the 4.7, 4.6 and 5.7L. I've heard it's easier to replace on the 4.6L but haven't confirmed this.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I went 4runner-> J80 Land Cruiser-> 06 Sequoia-> I spent over a yr trying to figure out a Sequoia replacement. I didn’t want the 10-12mpg LC which was a big negative, zero interest in 4runner. The GX was interesting contemplated a new one actually but two buddies with 2017 and 2018 GXs with A/T tires stock size get a solid 10-12mpg! Its their biggest pet peeve. After 8 yrs of that in my LC I finally just nixed Toyota.

Bought a loaded 2019 Expedition instead. No I won’t be trail bashing it nor would the GX have been trail run. Dirt roads yes, snow yes etc. It crushes Toyota anything on the long pavement runs thats for sure. The Sequoia 15-16mpg stock rubber was pretty good tho. But 400hp and 21mpg averages between 70-80mph is awesome. Sadly I can’t see me owning another Toyota anytime soon. 30yrs of Toyota and no they weren’t magically cheaper or more reliable than the domestics my family and buddies ran. Just more expensive lol.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I went 4runner-> J80 Land Cruiser-> 06 Sequoia-> I spent over a yr trying to figure out a Sequoia replacement. I didn’t want the 10-12mpg LC which was a big negative, zero interest in 4runner. The GX was interesting contemplated a new one actually but two buddies with 2017 and 2018 GXs with A/T tires stock size get a solid 10-12mpg! Its their biggest pet peeve. After 8 yrs of that in my LC I finally just nixed Toyota.

Bought a loaded 2019 Expedition instead. No I won’t be trail bashing it nor would the GX have been trail run. Dirt roads yes, snow yes etc. It crushes Toyota anything on the long pavement runs thats for sure. The Sequoia 15-16mpg stock rubber was pretty good tho. But 400hp and 21mpg averages between 70-80mph is awesome. Sadly I can’t see me owning another Toyota anytime soon. 30yrs of Toyota and no they weren’t magically cheaper or more reliable than the domestics my family and buddies ran. Just more expensive lol.

If your buddies were getting 10-12 mpg on stock size AT's in their GX460's then something was very wrong with their vehicles. It is the norm to see 17-21 mpg with stock size tires and I have 32's and I still see 17.5 on the highway and 16 in town. I'll agree that you almost always give up good fuel economy with a Toyota product but you'll never see resale value and reliability in the domestics like you do with the Toyota. I've always had domestics and Toyota's alongside of one another as have my family members and the Toyota's crush the domestics in resale and reliability, the consumer reports and book values back this up as well. I like the new Expedition, it was on our short list last year and I am still open to adding one in the future but the eco-boost motor all but kills it for me at the moment and I fear it will be the only motor option in the upcoming Bronco that I am eagerly awaiting as well.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I wish Toyota would fix the air injection pump failures. It's an expensive repair that seems to happen often to the 4.7, 4.6 and 5.7L. I've heard it's easier to replace on the 4.6L but haven't confirmed this.

Is this the issue where the little sponge gets sucked into the pump and causes a failure? Or is there some other issue? I took the sponge out of my 4runners air injection pump and use a small Unifilter lawn mower air filter. This mod makes the pump very happy and is super easy to do. I try to replace the filter yearly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CJOTSA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://trail4runner.com/2018/12/18/4runner-air-pump-mod/

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If your buddies were getting 10-12 mpg on stock size AT's in their GX460's then something was very wrong with their vehicles. It is the norm to see 17-21 mpg with stock size tires and I have 32's and I still see 17.5 on the highway and 16 in town. I'll agree that you almost always give up good fuel economy with a Toyota product but you'll never see resale value and reliability in the domestics like you do with the Toyota. I've always had domestics and Toyota's alongside of one another as have my family members and the Toyota's crush the domestics in resale and reliability, the consumer reports and book values back this up as well. I like the new Expedition, it was on our short list last year and I am still open to adding one in the future but the eco-boost motor all but kills it for me at the moment and I fear it will be the only motor option in the upcoming Bronco that I am eagerly awaiting as well.
Resale doesn’t matter to me I keep cars a long time. All my Toyotas were considerably more
Expensive to keep than the domestics in the family.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
More expensive to keep?
Yup Maintenance on all my Toyotas exponentially more costly than the domestics in the family. Especially my LC which was a total cream puff cherry example of the J80’s. Sequoia was slightly cheaper but the Timing Belt service deal was / is a major negative compared to the competition

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Yup Maintenance on all my Toyotas exponentially more costly than the domestics in the family. Especially my LC which was a total cream puff cherry example of the J80’s. Sequoia was slightly cheaper but the Timing Belt service deal was / is a major negative compared to the competition

It’s only done every 90000 it’s not a routine thing. mine was done at 170 and the belt was in good shape.

ajn507

Agreed. I have stock sized tires but will easily get 20 mpg at 75 mph on the hwy on road trips. About 15 running around town.
We use 87 octane.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior