GX 460 Research

Dalko43

Explorer
Longtime Toyota owner here...most recent ownership has been a 5th gen 4Runner. I love the 4runner’s reliability and inherent off-road capability, however I’ve found the seat comfort and noise insulation wanting (granted I shouldn’t have high expectations for basic cloth seats). Thought for a while that I would be migrating to a pickup (Tacoma or tundra), but I really dislike the Tacoma’s seating position and 3.5l v6. Tundra seems quite a bit better in those 2 areas, but I don’t need that much capability and the size would be a bit much for where I regularly park and drive in the city.

I started off telling myself that I’d never consider a Lexus, simply because I don’t need that much luxury, but I’ve come full circle and I’m now at the point where the GX is starting to make lots of sense. It seems to check a lot of the boxes I’m looking for: more torquey engine, better seat and ride comfort, heated everything, better insulation, slightly better towing, uses vetted LC prado platform. As much as I love the billy goat agility of the 4Runner, I’ve rarely needed the rear locker and the ride and NVH can become a bit tiresome on the many long highway drives i do. I want something that can do 99% of what the 4Runner can, but with better comfort. GX seems to be the most logical and cost-efficient option.

Some questions I’m trying to work through:
1) does it get about the same mpg as a stock 4Runner?
2) how does the back space (with seats folded down) compare to the 4runner’s?
3) are the third row seats removable or fixed in place?
4) any added maintenance considerations for the 4.6l v8 over the 4.0l v6?
5) I know premium is recommended...will the engine survive If lower octane fuel is used (like in an emergency)?
6) do all versions come with tow package?
7) do all versions have the flip up rear window?
8) are any skid plates offered from factory?
9) ground clearance is listed as 8.1 inches which seems rather low...is that due to plastic side steps?
10) any recent changes to the 460 generation, or had the vehicle stayed mostly the same since 2009?
11) don’t want the air suspension...does that only come with certain trim levels?
12) does kdss come standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I'm not an expert, but have picked up a few things.
1. 2020 4Runner EPA 16/19 mpg; 2020 GX460 EPA 15/19 mpg.
4. No. They are both very reliable.
5. Yes. Might lose a few hp as the computer adjusts for the lower octane.

Last edited:

chunko

Observer
I tried to answer a few- you may want to post on Facebook gxor. I have a 470 but I see a lot of people posting about the 460.

Yes

I think just basic thin steel ones but any 5th gen 4runner set for kdss vehicles should fit

9) ground clearance is listed as 8.1 inches which seems rather low...is that due to plastic side steps?

That and the front bumper plastic

10) any recent changes to the 460 generation, or had the vehicle stayed mostly the same since 2009?

Front fascia, crawl control, updated nav, I believe hid's were not initially offered

11) don’t want the air suspension...does that only come with certain trim levels?

Yes, not all of them have them. I think only premium trim had it for a while

Yes

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

moose545

My GX is a 12' Base, no air suspension which is what you want. Also 2010-13 are the non-predator mouth front bumpers, so if you plan on going full build route that's something to consider, also the rear lights are different starting in 2014. I think MPG is about the same as a 4R, but a GX is MUCH more smooth and it does have stock skid plates, probably as useful as other stockers. I have full RCI steel skids, RSG sliders, and Ironman front/Dobinsons rear. Templates you get from AUS don't work, so it's a freehand job and lots of measuring prior to cutting, but it's worth it in the end. Any other questions ask away, but GXOR is the spot for EVERYTHING.

Sacmaster

I got out of a 12 4Runner Limited for a 13 460 after I bought one for my wife. Yes, we now have two black 460s in the driveway...

The 460 is night and day more pleasant to drive than the 4Runner. The power delivery is smoother. It’s much quieter. Much more comfortable. More spacious due to taller cabin. Rear air conditioning. Better visibility. I run 87 octane and still get better mileage than I did in the 4Runner. 17 average vs 15 avg. can easily get 19-20mpg on the interstate at 70mph. Oh, the seats are much better too. The 4Runner seat was like sitting on a park bench. The GX feels much more like a 3/4 size Land Cruiser whereas the 4Runner feels like a Tacoma station wagon.

Dalko43

Explorer
I got out of a 12 4Runner Limited for a 13 460 after I bought one for my wife. Yes, we now have two black 460s in the driveway...

The 460 is night and day more pleasant to drive than the 4Runner. The power delivery is smoother. It’s much quieter. Much more comfortable. More spacious due to taller cabin. Rear air conditioning. Better visibility. I run 87 octane and still get better mileage than I did in the 4Runner. 17 average vs 15 avg. can easily get 19-20mpg on the interstate at 70mph. Oh, the seats are much better too. The 4Runner seat was like sitting on a park bench. The GX feels much more like a 3/4 size Land Cruiser whereas the 4Runner feels like a Tacoma station wagon.

I'd really like to get into a 460. From everything I've seen and heard, it is decent improvement over the 4runner in most areas, perhaps excepting offroad capability.

The main issues holding me back:
1) Not a fan of the requirement to run premium fuel...at the average fuel economy and premium fuel prices, I'm estimating that I'll be paying as much, if not more, than it costs to fuel a Tundra.
2) The back area is offers no tangible size increase over the 4runner. With 1x large-sized dog, and another one possibly on the way, I don't think the 460, or the 4runner give me what I'm looking for.

If I didn't have the dog requirement, the 460 would likely be next on my list.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I'd really like to get into a 460. From everything I've seen and heard, it is decent improvement over the 4runner in most areas, perhaps excepting offroad capability.

The main issues holding me back:
1) Not a fan of the requirement to run premium fuel...at the average fuel economy and premium fuel prices, I'm estimating that I'll be paying as much, if not more, than it costs to fuel a Tundra.
2) The back area is offers no tangible size increase over the 4runner. With 1x large-sized dog, and another one possibly on the way, I don't think the 460, or the 4runner give me what I'm looking for.

If I didn't have the dog requirement, the 460 would likely be next on my list.

Just bought a 2010 469 with 120 on it. It’s an amazing truck. They are cheaper than 4runners.
I now have a 14 tundra
10 gx
86 cruiser.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Longtime Toyota owner here...most recent ownership has been a 5th gen 4Runner. I love the 4runner’s reliability and inherent off-road capability, however I’ve found the seat comfort and noise insulation wanting (granted I shouldn’t have high expectations for basic cloth seats). Thought for a while that I would be migrating to a pickup (Tacoma or tundra), but I really dislike the Tacoma’s seating position and 3.5l v6. Tundra seems quite a bit better in those 2 areas, but I don’t need that much capability and the size would be a bit much for where I regularly park and drive in the city.

I started off telling myself that I’d never consider a Lexus, simply because I don’t need that much luxury, but I’ve come full circle and I’m now at the point where the GX is starting to make lots of sense. It seems to check a lot of the boxes I’m looking for: more torquey engine, better seat and ride comfort, heated everything, better insulation, slightly better towing, uses vetted LC prado platform. As much as I love the billy goat agility of the 4Runner, I’ve rarely needed the rear locker and the ride and NVH can become a bit tiresome on the many long highway drives i do. I want something that can do 99% of what the 4Runner can, but with better comfort. GX seems to be the most logical and cost-efficient option.

Some questions I’m trying to work through:
1) does it get about the same mpg as a stock 4Runner?
2) how does the back space (with seats folded down) compare to the 4runner’s?
3) are the third row seats removable or fixed in place?
4) any added maintenance considerations for the 4.6l v8 over the 4.0l v6?
5) I know premium is recommended...will the engine survive If lower octane fuel is used (like in an emergency)?
6) do all versions come with tow package?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made this move last fall and it is my second GX460. Here are my replies and thoughts:

1) They get roughly the same fuel economy, on 32's I average 16-16.5 in town and 17-17.5 on the highway. Stock rubber I would touch 19-20 but that was never a factor as it didn't stay on factory rubber for more than 72 hours nor did I ever intend for it to remain stock.
2) Cargo space while shaped slightly differently is basically the same, that said, you do lose a few inches in height due to the higher deck with the stow away 3rd row seats. We have three Dobermans and while it's not as spacious as our LX for the dogs, it's not an issue.
3) The third row seats stow flush with the floor and hidden away until needed. Some people remove them altogether for a multitude of reasons. I never thought we'd use them since we don't have kids and much to my surprise we've already used them twice in five months of owning it. Eventually I might remove them for a sleep system and/or drawers but only if necessary.
4) This engine is as old as the 4.0 and just as solid and reliable. It makes better power and torque and has a timing chain. It's one of the huge upgrades when coming from the 5th Gen IMHO.
5) I only use RUG (87 octane) and I have never had any issues. I ran 87 octane in the 2011 I had with ex and never had any issues over 67K miles in that one either. I have no intentions of ever using anything else nor do many other owners.
6) The tow package is an option oddly enough not even found on a lot of the Premium spec builds. Most all come with the trailer wiring (those that I see here at Texas dealers at least) but they do not all come with a Class IV hitch and ball mount. Ours did not so I added a small bolt-on Class III hitch (rated to 5,000lbs) because I knew I'd ultimately move to an aftermarket bumper and have no need to tow anything heavier than 5,000lbs with this vehicle. I have other better options for that task. It works just fine to hold my dirt bike carrier and I have already towed 4,200lbs with it with no issue.
7) Flip up rear window is standard.
8) The skid plate is nothing of any real value, that's definitely an area that needs an aftermarket upgrade should you be off-road often.
9) I can only imagine that the lower clearance is due to the low hanging front fascia and the plastic side steps, both of which will likely be removed by most in favor of sliders and a front bumper.
10) 2010 was the first year of the 460 here in the states, other than front end changes and slight improvements to the Nav (still a joke) and improved headlights and altered tail lights and reflectors it is very much still the same vehicle 11 model years later. 10-13 were the same. 14-19 saw head light improvements along with the changes to the front end and rear lights. 2020 has new front end, new head lights, and new steering wheel, they also added the crawl control camera system as well. She ******** Nav and same interior have stayed the same for 2020.
11) Air suspension is only found on the Luxury trim models for 2014+, I am not sure about 10-13 models.
12) Yes, KDSS is standard.

The GX is night and day when compared to the 5th Gen. It rides quieter, smoother, and it's obviously more refined in regards to it's interior appointments. The head lights are better, the seats are more comfortable and it has most every option you'd want standard. The barn door sucks, the high beams don't match the lows (2019 and earlier, 2020 is a different story) and the rear seats don't fold flat like the 5th Gen making it harder to sleep inside unmodified. The look of the front end is not the best.

The things I miss about the 5th Gen (roll down rear window, rear locker, manual t-case shifter) I can easily live without in favor of what I gained with the GX. Should I ever find the center locking differential to be lacking for where I find myself going off-road then I can easily add in an ARB or Eaton, my ARB dual compressor is already under the hood so the ARB rear locker would be an easy upgrade. As much as I complain about the barn door in reality it isn't nearly as terrible as I make it out to be. Full-time 4WD is a double edged sword but it sure makes it easy for the misses when she's down on the beach or should she ever encounter bad weather without me. KDSS is nice but the AHC in our LX is even nicer. The one thing that the 5th Gen has over the GX that is almost impossible to fix is a sportier look that by some would be coined as more masculine. I hope to help improve that aspect on the GX with a front winch bumper.

I think the GX is a worthy upgrade over the 5th Gen and I wouldn't hesitate to make the move unless the finances in the swap don't make sense. I wouldn't worry in the least bit about the space being a detriment for your dog if you make the space in your 5th Gen work for you now. We have made automotive purchase decisions based off of our pets at times but I find that we don't have them with us as much as we anticipate and at the end of the day they are dogs, they don't need much and will figure it out, after all they are just happy to be with you, I doubt you'll hear them complain about the space haha. Best of luck with your decision, I hope we see you in a GX soon.

Dalko43

Explorer
I made this move last fall and it is my second GX460. Here are my replies and thoughts:

1) They get roughly the same fuel economy, on 32's I average 16-16.5 in town and 17-17.5 on the highway. Stock rubber I would touch 19-20 but that was never a factor as it didn't stay on factory rubber for more than 72 hours nor did I ever intend for it to remain stock.
2) Cargo space while shaped slightly differently is basically the same, that said, you do lose a few inches in height due to the higher deck with the stow away 3rd row seats. We have three Dobermans and while it's not as spacious as our LX for the dogs, it's not an issue.
3) The third row seats stow flush with the floor and hidden away until needed. Some people remove them altogether for a multitude of reasons. I never thought we'd use them since we don't have kids and much to my surprise we've already used them twice in five months of owning it. Eventually I might remove them for a sleep system and/or drawers but only if necessary.
4) This engine is as old as the 4.0 and just as solid and reliable. It makes better power and torque and has a timing chain. It's one of the huge upgrades when coming from the 5th Gen IMHO.
5) I only use RUG (87 octane) and I have never had any issues. I ran 87 octane in the 2011 I had with ex and never had any issues over 67K miles in that one either. I have no intentions of ever using anything else nor do many other owners.
6) The tow package is an option oddly enough not even found on a lot of the Premium spec builds. Most all come with the trailer wiring (those that I see here at Texas dealers at least) but they do not all come with a Class IV hitch and ball mount. Ours did not so I added a small bolt-on Class III hitch (rated to 5,000lbs) because I knew I'd ultimately move to an aftermarket bumper and have no need to tow anything heavier than 5,000lbs with this vehicle. I have other better options for that task. It works just fine to hold my dirt bike carrier and I have already towed 4,200lbs with it with no issue.
7) Flip up rear window is standard.
8) The skid plate is nothing of any real value, that's definitely an area that needs an aftermarket upgrade should you be off-road often.
9) I can only imagine that the lower clearance is due to the low hanging front fascia and the plastic side steps, both of which will likely be removed by most in favor of sliders and a front bumper.
10) 2010 was the first year of the 460 here in the states, other than front end changes and slight improvements to the Nav (still a joke) and improved headlights and altered tail lights and reflectors it is very much still the same vehicle 11 model years later. 10-13 were the same. 14-19 saw head light improvements along with the changes to the front end and rear lights. 2020 has new front end, new head lights, and new steering wheel, they also added the crawl control camera system as well. She **** Nav and same interior have stayed the same for 2020.
11) Air suspension is only found on the Luxury trim models for 2014+, I am not sure about 10-13 models.
12) Yes, KDSS is standard.

The GX is night and day when compared to the 5th Gen. It rides quieter, smoother, and it's obviously more refined in regards to it's interior appointments. The head lights are better, the seats are more comfortable and it has most every option you'd want standard. The barn door sucks, the high beams don't match the lows (2019 and earlier, 2020 is a different story) and the rear seats don't fold flat like the 5th Gen making it harder to sleep inside unmodified. The look of the front end is not the best.

The things I miss about the 5th Gen (roll down rear window, rear locker, manual t-case shifter) I can easily live without in favor of what I gained with the GX. Should I ever find the center locking differential to be lacking for where I find myself going off-road then I can easily add in an ARB or Eaton, my ARB dual compressor is already under the hood so the ARB rear locker would be an easy upgrade. As much as I complain about the barn door in reality it isn't nearly as terrible as I make it out to be. Full-time 4WD is a double edged sword but it sure makes it easy for the misses when she's down on the beach or should she ever encounter bad weather without me. KDSS is nice but the AHC in our LX is even nicer. The one thing that the 5th Gen has over the GX that is almost impossible to fix is a sportier look that by some would be coined as more masculine. I hope to help improve that aspect on the GX with a front winch bumper.

I think the GX is a worthy upgrade over the 5th Gen and I wouldn't hesitate to make the move unless the finances in the swap don't make sense. I wouldn't worry in the least bit about the space being a detriment for your dog if you make the space in your 5th Gen work for you now. We have made automotive purchase decisions based off of our pets at times but I find that we don't have them with us as much as we anticipate and at the end of the day they are dogs, they don't need much and will figure it out, after all they are just happy to be with you, I doubt you'll hear them complain about the space haha. Best of luck with your decision, I hope we see you in a GX soon.

Awesome feedback!

Interesting to hear about using 87 octane...is that a common trend with GX owners? WIth the price of premium fuel, a GX might cost about as much as a Tundra to fuel....but with 87, that story obviously changes.

For space, I think that's the hard limit I'm hitting. My dog (100lb German Sherpherd) does fit in the technical sense of the word, but that doesn't leave much room for additional gear or another dog (which is in the works). I need to be able to fit 2 dog crates for 2 large-sized dogs...just not sure if the GX will be the optimal vehicle for that.

Might have to go to the local lexus dealer with a tape measure though...I really do like what the GX has to offer.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Awesome feedback!

Interesting to hear about using 87 octane...is that a common trend with GX owners? WIth the price of premium fuel, a GX might cost about as much as a Tundra to fuel....but with 87, that story obviously changes.

For space, I think that's the hard limit I'm hitting. My dog (100lb German Sherpherd) does fit in the technical sense of the word, but that doesn't leave much room for additional gear or another dog (which is in the works). I need to be able to fit 2 dog crates for 2 large-sized dogs...just not sure if the GX will be the optimal vehicle for that.

Might have to go to the local lexus dealer with a tape measure though...I really do like what the GX has to offer.

Do a poll over on Mud and ask the GX owners themselves how many actually run premium fuel (I think there are many of those threads if you do a search haha), I think you'll be surprised. I know of many people who don't use the recommended octane regularly and without issue.

We have three Dobermans but we don't crate them when in the vehicle. They have the freedom to roam about the rear cabin and settle at will, this is far different than needing to fit a certain set of kennels. Even though the LX is larger, I doubt you'd have much more room in regards to two full-size kennels in there either. Take the kennels with you to the dealer and test fit them, measurements work in theory but unless you try it yourself you'll never truly know.

Awesome feedback!

Just curious, why do they need to be kenneled in the vehicle? Hell, we travel with 2 big dogs in our Rav4. If you can't get it done in a GX460 then nothing is going to be big enough.

Dalko43

Explorer
Just curious, why do they need to be kenneled in the vehicle? Hell, we travel with 2 big dogs in our Rav4. If you can't get it done in a GX460 then nothing is going to be big enough.

A few reasons:
1) They're outdoor dogs...so they tend to track in a lot of mud and dirt...a kennel keeps that somewhat contained. Heck just my guy's head rubbing against the ceiling liner leaves some dirty spots (he's a tall German Shepherd).
2) They're working-line type GSD's...if a cop ever pulls me over (not that I speed or break the traffic laws), I don't want my dogs trying to lunge forward to the front window in an attempt to confront that person. Obedience of course helps, but some of that is just hard-wired into this breed.
3) In the event of a crash, I'd like my dogs to be contained rather sitting/moving freely in the cabin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles