Gull wing doors for a JK hardtop?

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
Has anyone seen anything like this made for a Jeep? Pretty darn cool. Please post links or pictures if you have

http://www.emuwing.com.au/

Okay...lets try a different angle of the same thing. Has anyone done any DIY gull wing doors on a JK hardtop? If so pictures or links to a write up would be great. I am sure there are a few of you out there with incredible skills that have done this.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on a retrofit kit for factory hardtops to install either opening windows or cargo hatches in place of the factory fixed windows. The JKU slider window retrofit kit is ready for production, and I've also done prototypes of cargo hatches that can be installed to either open up like gull wings, or open down to serve as trail tables.

JKURetrofitKits_zpsg6kvmwiv.jpg

Some prototypes installed in hardtop fragments on the workbench:

HatchUp_zps5a4469d5.jpg

CargoHatchGullwingOpen_zps0cvzof1p.jpg

The Australian gullwings linked to in the first post in this thread use curved tempered glass and because of that are fairly expensive ($1200 US per pair); this design uses a "retrofit kit" which takes care of the curved window mounting surface and allows very affordable RV-style slider windows or cargo hatches to be installed.

A hatch installed in a prototype Safari Cab hardtop, this one is set up to swing down and serve as a trail table:

PopUpSim_zpsag0ue2hr.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Just before the pandemic shut things down, I was testing these preproduction windows for a company. They were to have hit the market this past spring, but production at the window company has been at less than 50% since March so these have been on the back burner. Hopefully when production gets back to normal these will get to market but I don't know the current status.

The ones I was testing were for the later model JK 2dr and the engineering work has also been done for the late model JK 4dr and for JLs. The last time I talked to the company they said if there is demand they could do these for the early model JKU and JK2 but their initial release would be for the late model hardtops.

ThePartyWagon

I have been dreaming of pulling the rear glass on my 2 door XJ and putting in Tern Overland style windows or hatches.

XJs are not where the aftermarket is focused at this point so I will have to make this happen on my own. I was thinking blank aluminum panels to replace the glass and then cutting in a window or hatch into that aluminum panel.

One day...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have been dreaming of pulling the rear glass on my 2 door XJ and putting in Tern Overland style windows or hatches.

XJs are not where the aftermarket is focused at this point so I will have to make this happen on my own. I was thinking blank aluminum panels to replace the glass and then cutting in a window or hatch into that aluminum panel.

One day...
The challenge with most vehicles is that the windows are not flat - in most cases they're compound curves (curved in both directions). A flat piece of aluminum won't hinge properly to a curved surface, so the design needs to accomodate the curves.

ThePartyWagon

The challenge with most vehicles is that the windows are not flat - in most cases they're compound curves (curved in both directions). A flat piece of aluminum won't hinge properly to a curved surface, so the design needs to accomodate the curves.

That makes total sense, I was hoping the rubber seal around the window would accommodate the flat panel even it it was not curved like the glass. I suppose the rubber seal is likely curved as well. It was always an unrealistic dream of mine but I would be so freaking cool.

Thanks for your input here Jscherb!

zgfiredude

You should check YOUR windows.....they may NOT be curved. He just said that "most" are.....I'd think that an XJ stands a good chance of being flat (or flat enough).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles