Guidance Please -Adventure Bike

deminimis

Explorer
I can't believe I'm asking this, but looking for a little guidance for a possible Spring purchase. Currently riding strictly off-road KTM 505XC-F and Beta Rev2 270 bikes. I would like to add a plated bike to the stable. BMWNA pissed me off so much in regards to my last BMW (my 3rd) that I swore I'd never buy BMW again. Now that's its been a year since the last of my BMWs, I'm over it. So, not sure if a GSA is the ticket (with the typical BMW problems like over-priced and for-crap shocks), a KTM Adventure (with its quirks), or something else. Wouldn't mind being able to run from the PNW to the bottom of Baja. But wouldn't mind being able to clumsily make my way along some basic single track as needed too. I have my KTM when I need to get serious and I have my trials bike when I need to make a fool of myself. I'm 6'2" and over 2 bills, so I'm not sure a GS 800 would have the needed umph should I decide a trip down to Texas was in order, nor a KLR. Not interested in a Storm. Over the past 3 years I've also tried (off-road trips) a HP2, KTM 690 Enduro, Husaberg 570, and a Husky TE (I can't remember, but I think it was a 510, but it could have been a 630) and I owned a nicely tweaked and plated XR650R, so none of those aren't really an option, for various reasons. I suppose this is now more of a self-help post: Probably need a GSA. If anyone has a better idea (like buying a Scrambler and outfitting it for off-road), please shout out! Thanks.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
New Tiger 800?
j7z18p.jpg

sprale

Observer
Are the limits off-road keeping you from looking at a Strom, or is it the styling? I'm really loving mine, a bit of a sport-touring tractor.

efuentes

Explorer
I would get one of those HP2s/Adventure conversions that pop up from time to time, light, plenty of power and cool suspension.

Saludos

RHINO

Expedition Leader
I'd vote for the KTM Adventure or Super Enduro if you can find one.

he said they were too small, besides i wouldnt ride either of them more than the next state on the hiway at a time, i had a 640A, just not made for it.

i think your on the right line,,, and as has been posted.

i'm not into the big rigs, but that super tenere is appealing for what your talking about,,, what about the 950A? i think its a bit more dirt than your after but i hear its a pretty good tourer if you set it up a bit.

traveltoad

Aaron S
he said they were too small, besides i wouldnt ride either of them more than the next state on the hiway at a time, i had a 640A, just not made for it.

950/990 Adventure... not the 640 Adv.

I guess the first question to ask is: How far off a dirt road do you want to go? I guessed from your other bikes that you would want the equipment to go pretty far off the beaten track.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well duhh i shoulda got that from the super enduro in your suggestion,, sorry bout that.

RabidRover

Observer
I would wait until the spring ... Triumph and Yamaha are coming up with some nice looking alternatives. :bike_rider:

deminimis

Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas. Sorry I didn't respond quicker, but not getting my notifications for some reason. I rode my buddy's HP2 a couple years back. However, seems that I read of some frame failures somewhere. I could be completely wrong about that though. There was something else that didn't curl my toes about the bike, but I could only guess what that might have been now. The KTM 690 Enduro wasn't much better on pavement than my former highly mod'd xr650r, but the XR smoked it off the road. I've always had a soft spot for Triumph, so not opposed to trying one out. Other buddy had a Storm, but it wasn't quite right for me. Basically, a Hummer H1, in motorcycle form is my goal. A GSA or perhaps a big Ktm is my likely direction. I love my 505 like you couldn't believe, but I've read of maintenance issues with the big orange bikes (access, surging). I need to try the Ktm for sure. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles