Guatemala and Back!

NoDinero

Adventurer
Just completed a 3+ month trip down the colonial center of Mexico and return up the west coast in a Sprinter van.motorhome. Here's the return trip report up the west coast, which was the easier part of the trip: MexicoTallman.Wordpress.com I am still working on the blog for the colonial center. Interesting to note the lack of American travelers on the route, even when we got up to the bigger parks and the bigger rigs in Acapulco, Puerto Vallartaa and Mazatlan. Canadians, yes. Americans, few and far between.

Patrollife

Explorer
I live in Guatemala and have yet to run into American overlanders. So far it's been German, Polish and Belgian. Looking forward to seeing your Guatemala write-up.

Darwin

Explorer
I got back back end of Jan. for similar time frame doing a similar route, we didn't see to many overlanders either, was kind of surprising. Met a few at the RV Park in Teotihuacan Mexico, a couple of other random ones, but that was it. The usual snowbirds in the bigger beach areas. Traveled in a truck and slide in camper. Also surfed and ran into Rene in at the park in Ixtapa, very nice, he helped install a little fan on the back of my fridge.

BlindWilly

TXpedition
I'd guess that the reason Americans aren't venturing across the border is that the media portrays it as a free for all south of the border. I get the notices from the State Dept and they aren't much better.
I know it's sensationalized, but I don't always get much of realistic view from Travelers lately.
For those of you that have driven down across the border, what's your take on it?
I'm hoping that in the next few years I can do an overland down to Lake Atitlan, Antigua and Guatemala City to see some relatives.

Patrollife

Explorer
I'd guess that the reason Americans aren't venturing across the border is that the media portrays it as a free for all south of the border. I get the notices from the State Dept and they aren't much better.
I know it's sensationalized, but I don't always get much of realistic view from Travelers lately.
For those of you that have driven down across the border, what's your take on it?
I'm hoping that in the next few years I can do an overland down to Lake Atitlan, Antigua and Guatemala City to see some relatives.

Guatemala is chill. I've never had any problems. I post most of 4x4/overland trips here:

www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/150234-Campsite-Picture-Thread-of-Central-and-South-America

NoDinero

Adventurer
Other than a very hot and chaotic border crossing, Guatemala was indded chill. Took us about 45 nights to get from Nogales to Guatemala City, 22 of those nights were spent by ourselves! Only Teotihuacan and Oaxaca (del Tule) had Americans, and those were a family of three from Colorado and a family of four from Virginia (see Vanamos.net) . I hope to get the southbound edition done soon.

High Center

Adventurer
It looks beautiful...

I am a fairly experienced traveler and not exclusively to the friendliest places in the world. I am not fearful nor am I xenophobic. That said,the numbers associated with San Pedro Sula are daunting (171 per 100,000 citizens compared to 30 in the worst American cities). It looks as though that violence is captured largely in that city- is that the case?

Best,
HC

Where in the hell is San Pedro Sula?"]PanAmTallman.Wordpress.com[/URL]

Honduras

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I made this same trip twice in the mid 90's before Overlanding was cool. The majority of my fellow travelers were either from Europe or exporting vehicles from the US to Central America. I would love to do this again, but with only three weeks vacation and 4 children still at home, I will opt to live vicariously through your report.

Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
thanks for posting and glad you had a great trip
I know it is easier to have a stand alone blog but many work servers won't let people see some stand alone blogs.
Shame you can't copy and paste your story here also

No matter what, thanks for letting us tag along on your adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles