Grumman Sport Boat

Explorerinil

Observer
Don’t drill into that classic boat! Grumman’s are made to last several lifetimes. Tilt the tongue on the trailer up as high as you can get, cover it with a tarp and check it once and awhile or flip the boat over. Before you molest it, pm me I’ll take it off your hands.

Alloy

I've put these in. Also know people that tell the story of the day they launched boat and forgot to put the plug in.

Keep other non ferrous metals like copper brass away from aluminum. Never clean aluminum with any kind of ferrous metal.

If there happens to be a leak the rivets can be reset by holding a 10lb against the rivet on one side and striking the other side with a hammer.

51-uWbP9AnL._SX569_.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
I've put these in. Also know people that tell the story of the day they launched boat and forgot to put the plug in.

Keep other non ferrous metals like copper brass away from aluminum. Never clean aluminum with any kind of ferrous metal.

If there happens to be a leak the rivets can be reset by holding a 10lb against the rivet on one side and striking the other side with a hammer.

51-uWbP9AnL._SX569_.jpg
I ran my Boston whaler without a drain plug for an entire boating season once. I hate to admit it but I was one of those guys.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I got started narrowing the trailer. The factory bends and forms the frame rails so I un bolted them and sucked them in with ratchet straps. Good greif the spring and stored energy would flat out kill you if it got away from you but I got it. You can see the u-bolts where it used to be and now in its new location. I fliped the little bunk tabs around and bent them to 10 degrees to match the hull and bring them even closer to center of the trailer. The U bolt perches got ground off and rewelded. Welding galvanized metal sucks. It stinks bad and wont stick unless you grind it clean. I got redwood 2x6 all cut and drilled and should have them installed with carpet tomorrow. So far so good.

C8820481-7398-4C17-B948-FD1209A18648.jpeg

2824AD09-8864-4B08-8096-5B6064A0A861.jpeg

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The plate in the middle is so I can turn the boat upside down on the trailer and it will not fall thru and jam between the bunks. I fooled with bunk mods and wood blocks for an hour but having that flat suport in the middle worked the best. From experiance I learned that if your trailer is really easy to use you tend to use the craft more often and on a moments notice. Poke around here if you want more on small trailers. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/fitting-an-18-canoe-on-a-jet-ski-trailer.159299/

4C9FD1C5-3B69-47A3-ACEF-F8D40F529BF5.jpeg
2E2F89CD-833E-444E-AACE-9A76556B68EB.jpeg

MR. ED

Observer
I’ve wanted one forever. There’s a 15 footer for sale somewhat locally for $500. Hard to think about buying a canoe in the middle of winter when I really need new xcountry skis!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles