Group 31 Battery?

Vanhalo

I have decided to go the single Group 31 battery(Dometic PLB40/Battery Booster) route for a 12v fridge setup

What are folks generally using to mount this large battery in their engine bay?

I have considered 2 options

Buying the Dual Battery Genesis tray for $200 and modifying it.

Using these products from Savior Protected

Also, what are local options for Group 31 Batteries?

Northstar (no dealer close to me)
Oddysey
Sams
Batteries Plus

14JKURX

Observer
There was a good write up of a group 31 install by Comanche Scott if you can find it.
If I remember right it just took a slight modification to the stock battery tray.

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have decided to go the single Group 31 battery(Dometic PLB40/Battery Booster) route for a 12v fridge setup

What are folks generally using to mount this large battery in their engine bay?

I have considered 2 options

Buying the Dual Battery Genesis tray for $200 and modifying it.

Using these products from Savior Protected

Also, what are local options for Group 31 Batteries?

Northstar (no dealer close to me)
Oddysey
Sams
Batteries Plus
I'm a huge fan of the Sam's Club AGM for $180. The expensive batteries are just not worth the price over a quality AGM. You can replace the Sam Club AGM every 3-4 yrs (if necessary) and still have money in your pocket over the Northstars. I run this under the hood in a JSS battery tray for my 07 JKU - it acts as my starting battery and runs all my radios and camp lights while parked/camping for several days.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I'm a huge fan of the Sam's Club AGM for $180. The expensive batteries are just not worth the price over a quality AGM. You can replace the Sam Club AGM every 3-4 yrs (if necessary) and still have money in your pocket over the Northstars. I run this under the hood in a JSS battery tray for my 07 JKU - it acts as my starting battery and runs all my radios and camp lights while parked/camping for several days.

Do you have a pic of your setup? Is it a group 31 under the hood?

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
Do you have a pic of your setup? Is it a group 31 under the hood?
I have two DC breakers, a blue sea fuse panel, and 300A MBRP fuse for the winch sitting on a custom panel atop the battery. All I have to do is loosen the battery clamp and snip a few zip ties and I can remove the battery. The panel flips up and out of the way. It is a bit busy at the moment with the blue sea panel (which has not been very reliable as fuses have become loose with time).

On the driver side, I am running an Apollotech relay/switch panel and Bussman relay/disto box. I've been doing some maintenance, that's why many of the fuses have been pulled from the Apollo box. The Apollo box gets its relay power from a engine running tap in the TIPM whereas the bussman has engine running, accessory, and always hot relay feeds. All these relay power feeds are isolated via 4 discrete high current relays to avoid loading the TIPM circuits.

When I switch over to the lithium setup later this summer, I will get ride of the blue sea panel ... I will also install a 30aH starting only battery next to the group 31 (I think there is enough room in the tray if I mod it.).

All the wiring is GXL/TXL rated for the smaller stuff and high temp high flex wire for the big stuff.

If I were to do it all over again (and have to buy new), I'd use a larger Bussman panel and ditch the Apollo/SPOD & Blue Sea - these devices do not belong under the hood of a Jeep as they are not IP 5x or IP6x rated. The Apollo and SPOD devices are toys when compared to Bussman, Littlefuse, and the like. ( I had these already in my shop collecting dust and said why not)...I'd have a 2nd small Bussman panel located at the battery to handle all the small relays and always on circuits instead of the 4 discrete ones I have now

IMG_20190605_094859.jpgIMG_20190605_094648.jpgIMG_20190605_094626.jpgIMG_20190605_095854.jpg

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
I have an 07. The 12 and newer JKs can use the factory tray (modded) to fit a group 31.

Here is a pic of the rear aux setup that is in lieu of the 40 rear seat. It uses a 100/110ah Universal Group battery I had laying around.

Victron BMV 712, a CTEK 250s (buried) for sc charging duties, and a Victron 75/15 or sometimes 100/30 for solar. The CTEK MPPT battery charging algorithm is easily outperformed by the Victron.

I run two big batts b/c I work/camp in the back country and have lots of electrical loads...some days I'll be in the same spot for several days. The hood battery runs comms (ham), camp lights and cell charger and sometimes and aux freezer. the aux battery runs my domestic cfx65dz, other comms, my laptop (via inverter), sometimes a small printer, and other loads

I'd I didn't work in the back country, a single big battery would be fine for aux/starting. However, I would still carry a lithium jump pack and 12v/10-20ah battery to replace the main battery in case it fails.

IMG_20190605_102056.jpgIMG_20190605_102106.jpgIMG_20190605_102125.jpg

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Mine is an '07 2-door, so space is harder to come by. I have a group 31 in the rear but would like to get another under the hood. If I found that someone else has made it work, then I'd tear into it. Don't want to be the first one though. :)

vtsoundman

OverAnalyzer
JSS dual battery tray and modified battery hold down bar. Took me an afternoon. Group 31 under the hood. Get some thermal insulation to help with the battery... otherwise the tray gets hot. I used DEI Floor and Tunnel Sheild I had laying around. Do not use any of the aluminzed butyl crap...it can't handle the heat.

Edit : I spent some time sliding the TIPM holder forward to give me more space. I also ended up trimming the firewall mounting studs a bit. I don't recall any instructions. It was definitely a puzzle and reqd some addl trips for hardware (speed nuts) to get it done. I painted mine silver to match too. Not the best tray, but I recall getting it for a deal since it was bent at his shop in cotati

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
JSS dual battery tray and modified battery hold down bar. Took me an afternoon. Group 31 under the hood. Get some thermal insulation to help with the battery... otherwise the tray gets hot. I used DEI Floor and Tunnel Sheild I had laying around. Do not use any of the aluminzed butyl crap...it can't handle the heat.

Edit : I spent some time sliding the TIPM holder forward to give me more space. I also ended up trimming the firewall mounting studs a bit. I don't recall any instructions. It was definitely a puzzle and reqd some addl trips for hardware (speed nuts) to get it done. I painted mine silver to match too. Not the best tray, but I recall getting it for a deal since it was bent at his shop in cotati

Cool. Just knowing that it can be done will move it up on my Jeep list. Thanks for all the detail!!!

Vanhalo

I keep hearing about the SAM's Club battery...I may go this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke