Grounded Overland Adventure Top

mletschin

I recently brought in a new hardtop from an overseas supplier and wanted to share some pictures. Similar to the Ursa Minor but had some features I really liked. This is a full replacement for the hardtop on either the JK or the JL.
  • Large Glass Skylight - nice to have a way to look out overnight and in the morning even with everything closed, it is tinted but no shade
  • 3 Layers of tent including a rainfly - Screen, solid and rainfly all integrated.
  • In vehicle entry - Opens on driver side only, good and bad in that it gives a solid base on the other side but is a smaller space to stand up
  • Awning Mounts on both sides
  • 3" taller than stock hardtop and ~120lbs heavier
IMG_8978.jpgScreen Shot 2021-11-18 at 12.49.56 PM.pngIMG_9003.jpg

Disclaimer that I did create a website (www.grounded-overland.com) to be able to bring other tops in. Not my day job just giving people a way to bring them in.

campertramper

How thick is the foam mattress? How much space is there above the mattress and the top when closed? Is there an interior entrance?

kootenay

Intergalacticsuperintendent
How thick is the foam mattress? How much space is there above the mattress and the top when closed? Is there an interior entrance?
From what I can tell there is an interior pass through.
Car-Perspective.jpg

IMG_7413.jpg

mletschin

The mattress that comes in it is a 1" thick memory foam. I normally have a self inflating sleeping pad and a sleeping bag up there and thats it.

As for space between the mattress and the top when it is closed, I cant tell you exactly because I cant get to it then. I leave the sleeping pads up there normally but not my sleeping bags. I am extra cautious though and just dont want to stress the hinges at all.

@kootenay is correct, you climb in from inside just behind the drivers seat. The door flips up for half the width of the jeep

campertramper

As for space between the mattress and the top when it is closed, I cant tell you exactly because I cant get to it then.
In case you are so motivated (and I will completely understand if you are not): If you remove the access panel and then close the top, you'll be able to measure the height between the floor of the camper and the roof of the camper.

Last edited:

mletschin

Very interesting, thanks!

I'm always shocked there are not more Ursa Minor competitors on the market.

Interesting to see that even though it's made in China, the price is almost identical.

-Dan
It took a while to find one other than the Ursa Minor without making my own.

Its still a bit less than the Ursa Minor and the quality is just as good with a slightly different feature set. The killer on it right now is the cost of international shipping.

mletschin

In case you are so motivated (and I will completely understand if you are not): If you remove the panel and then close it, you'll be able to measure the height between the floor and the roof.
I need to look. To be honest I have never even looked to see how the door would come off but will try to check next weekend when I have it open.

campertramper

Interesting to see that even though it's made in China, the price is almost identical.
Not anymore Dan. Ursa Minor increased their prices and the top now starts at 9K for the JK and JL. This is a $6200-6700 top so the cost difference isn't insignificant (28% less minimum). UM's were a lot cheaper when you picked up yours a few years back - be sure to price in the cost of a new top if you end up selling your jeep to that museum...

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 10.28.43 AM.png

Tjenkens

Very interesting, thanks!

I'm always shocked there are not more Ursa Minor competitors on the market.

-Dan

I am about to pick up my Grounded Overland Adventure Top and I choose it because it is at least $3K cheaper than the Ursa Minor, has a skylight window, was faster to get (even with shipping delays) and also allows me to still fit into parking garages (only 3" taller than a standard hard top, Ursa Minor is 10" I believe). This top has all the extras as standard: black all over ($750 savings), windows on both sides ($550 savings). I think the shipping ends up not being a whole lot more since the crating of the camper top is part of purchase price ($495 savings)...but I never priced out the actual shipping cost from CA to NC so can't be sure. My shipping was $1900, but that is changing every day so can't fully compare that either.
I will let you all know what my experiences are with the camper top as I plan to overland it to UT for a few months!

Tjenkens

Ok, I got my Grounded Overland Adventure Top and it is in perfect condition, no shipping issues! I have it installed along with the awning and can't wait for the first trip with it...coming soon! 3 people was enough to get it onto the Jeep, but next time I would suggest a person on either side near the window and one upfront to guide.

Image from iOS (21).jpgImage from iOS (112).jpgImage from iOS (102).jpgImage from iOS (17).jpgImage from iOS (8).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior