Ground up DIY Build by OVX 2012

Uglyduck

Adventurer
I've been yapping to my wife (and anyone that will listen) about getting a trailer for the last year. Through various ups and downs we saved enough to pay for the materials and parts to build our own. I've been digging through threads and laying in bed too late at night thinking of the best design for us. I used Sketchup to piece it together and like the way it came out. Its a 6'L x 4'W x 2'H box on a 2x3 frame. My goal is to have it operational by OVX 2012 and by that I mean it will be complete short of the slide out galley and some of the bolt on accessories like jerry cans, propane tank, awning, etc.

Squar internal~.jpg Square interal - open.jpg

Using the Sketchup drawings as a base I reached out to the Expedition Portal community to ask some questions regarding trailer design, materials and suspension in this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76870-DIY-Trailer-Build-Fabrication-Questions I received a lot of valuable feedback, thanks again!

Last week i got the ball rolling and purchased the springs, axle, wheels/tires, and steel

1) Springs are from a Jeep YJ and purchased used locally at American Spring. This shop will build custom spring packs, install lifts, and do custom fab work (Bumpers and such). Good folks and awesome resource

2) The axle is a 3500lb Dexter with heavy duty hubs purchase locally from a family owned horse trailer builder/dealer called P&M trailers. Again, great easy going people and I'll pick it up on April 29th.

3) Wheels and tires were purchased used off of Craigslist to match my 07' Tacoma. This was during a whirlwind trip to Phoenix where I sold our old Bantam, made 6 stops (including 1 to Sierra Expeditions to pester Will), and literally drove around the valley and back to Flagstaff for some 600 miles. Not one spec of dirt road along the way :smilies27

4) The steel was purchased locally from Mayorga's Welding. This shop holds a special place with me...my godfather ran it until he passed away and his son has been for the last decade or so. They're THE shop in town for raw steel or fabrication and I'm not just saying that because of a family bias...really, they're it and they do an excellent job. They cut the frame steel for me and will be bending the main box out of a 6'x12' 14ga piece of sheet metal. In addition, the owner has been to the Overland Journal open house...so he's familiar with overland type trailers which made explaining the purpose much easier. Here's the box layout and I hope to have it on May 8th:

Main Box.jpg

5) The spring mounting brackets, shackles, and shock mounting brackets were ordered from Barnes4wd http://www.barnes4wd.com/. It was one of my goals to get these while in Phoenix but instead I got some weird looks at a commercial tailer outfit when asking for 2.5" spring hangers, shut down at two 4x4 shops and 2 other trailer venders, and ended up ordering it all online anyway. Thanks for the link Lesspavedroads

Today, with some help from my Captain and a cousin, we welded up the main frame using 2x3 (3/16) square tubing and here's how it turned out. It may not look like much but that was after 5 hours of work. I didn't know how to weld going into this (and still don't) but this little taste gave me a healthy respect for those individuals with welding experience and talent. I learned a couple of lessons here:

1) If the shop you buy the steel from can cut the material for you, just give them the exact measurements and save yourself the time, even if you have the tools to do it.
2) There's more to welding than...welding. Heat, warping, tips, angles, gas, penetration, grinding, prep...

IMG_0261.jpg

I came home today to a wife that wanted to hear about the progress. There's something cool about a woman that is excited about a simple steel trailer frame :sombrero:

I've been fortunate to have the resources and time available to make this happen so far. MANY thanks to skersfan, goodtimes, lesspavedroads, UK4x4, Greenmonkey, and all those that have pitched in to show me the way thus far. I'll post more when the spring hardware arrives (hopefully by May 4th) and we get the axle and tires mounted.

nijn

Hi Mitch,

Nice job so far.
Keep up the good work and I will follow your build closely.

Good luck, Ramon

Uglyduck

Adventurer
May 1st Update

I picked up the axle yesterday and mocked up the wheels.

I also ordered the taillights, side markers, and various brackets from AT. Bo at AT was very gracious in dealing with my questions. I went back and forth on side markers until Martyn straitened me out on federal lighting requirements. They added the side markers back to the order and should have it shipped out today. The tail lights will be mounted to the outside edges of the main box. I wanted to put surface mounted lights on the rear bumper but decided this would be easier to mount, wire, and replace if needed. The AT lights are a combination of stop, turn, tail, and one of them has led's for the license plate. All said and done it was cheaper (even locally) and more convenient than my original plan.

They'll be mounted in the same fashion as the AT Chaser except I'll have to come up with a different configuration for the license plate as it will interfere with the tailgate. I'll address that once the lights are mounted on the main box.
combo.jpg 1_chaser6.jpg

I plan on mounting the axle on friday assuming the hardware from Barnes4wd arrives by then and then work on electrical. I'll run the wiring, drill holes, then remove the lights for paint when the time comes.

pics of the axle
IMG_0264.jpg

I just ordered fenders from Sierra 4x4. Spoke with the owner over the phone and he confirmed they were boxed and ready to go so I ordered them. I received a tracking number 10 minutes later via email. I chose Sierra because they were significantly cheaper than AT yet still 12" wide. They're also 3" longer at the base which may interfere with the forward door but I'll work around that somehow. They should be here by May 4th.
Screen Shot 2012-05-01 at 2.16.13 PM.jpg

I also looked at these LED light bars for the box interior. I dont know anything about superbrightleds.com but they appear to be a U.S. based company. I avoid ordering something from oversea's if I can help it. I'll give this a hard look once the basic trailer is complete. If anyone has had dealings with them I'd love to hear about it.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=%2Flight_bars-rigid.html

timthumb.jpeg

Last edited:

drwer2

Good Job Mitch.

The LED's should be excellent. Easy to mount and service and low low power required.

The axle sure looks stout :eek:

I like the "steps" shown in the last example. keeps mud/water off the back of the lights and may provide a place to enclose/shield them too.

Keep it up Mijo.

:)

Uglyduck

Adventurer
May 3rd update

Everything I ordered came in faster than expected!

Lights from AT yesterday, fenders and spring hardware today. I have everything I need so I'll tackle it on Monday. Later than I'd like but I'm spending some time with the family this weekend and working a little on Sunday.

Since the fenders arrived I mocked them up in Sketchup to help me visualize the changes needed to make them fit. Turns out they'll be just fine!

Here's a JPEG of what the trailer will closely resemble with the new fenders and no accessories.
Squar internal~.jpg

I hope to make some post worthy progress by monday night. Tuesday I might be able to tackle the lighting and wiring and the box should be done then as well but I'm working so it'll have to wait till next Thursday :mad:. Once its done it'll be full steam ahead for 4 days!

Lesspavedrds

Observer
Mitch- I've been looking around Flagstaff for various things and found some trailer related items. Check out Total Grand Rental for trailer parts and the Army surplus/ Powdercoating place on Burris and 89. You might be surprised what they have in stock.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
The surplus shop has some good stuff...ammo cans, Partner Steel stoves, and carbon propane tanks. Decent prices too. I'll have to take a look at Grand Rental for the wiring harness, I hadn't considered them before.

That LED website looks good! A 5 meter strip for $50 is a good deal compared to others I've seen. Thanks G.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
We got some more work done today but not much worthy of pics. A few little things held up progress but I hope to make up some time on thursday. The spring hangers were mounted and paint arrived. I discovered that the u-bolt tie plates are too narrow for the 2.5" wide leaf springs (duh). I'll fab some new one's tomorrow and possibly tackle a little wiring. I also stopped by Mayorga's to check on the main box. The sheet metal should be here tomorrow so they'll start bending and welding. It'll be done later than expected but thats ok because I'm on duty for the next 2 days and won't be able to pick it up till thursday.

The paint I ordered is "Zero-Rust" which is similar to POR15. I heard about it on dieselcruiserhead's build thread and decided to give it a shot. It sets pretty quick and the aerosol will be nice for touch up. I ordered black for the frame and "Safety Red" for the main box. I did a test spot on some cardboard and was pleased with how well it matches the Toyota Radiant Red.

http://www.zero-rust.com/
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/30442-Frame-Off-Restored-M416-Trailer-(Independent-Airbag-Suspension-Kitchen-RTT-etc) - dieselcruiserhead build

Uglyduck

Adventurer
May 8th update

We had a little time today and got the springs mounted and axle mocked up. I need to "re-do" one of the tie plates...it was just a little off. :sombrero:
I may end up getting some from Sierra 4x4 eventually but these will work for now.

Now its starting to look like a trailer! I hope the box is done on thursday, we'll really be able to plug along then.

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles