Ground tent for roof top

outofrshell

Adventurer
Has any one ever mounted a ground tent to a platform and made it work as a roof top tent? If so do you have pictures or ideas? I have a 9x8 Kodiak Canvas Spring Bow tent it seems completely plausible to mount it on a folding platform attached to a small trailer with just enough room underneath for cooler and other items. A Spring Bow Tent can be lowered flat with the roof still assemble so erecting it is just a matter of raising the roof. The hardest part of putting this tent up is pegging the perimeter down so that's why the platform.
CONS - The trailer would have to be a little longer than the average AT trailer
PROS - Cost, I already own the tent and I have the skills to build a trailer

kanmac

I've been working on that idea (in my head right now) for a few weeks. I just need to do a smaller version of the platform I have in mind to see if it works the way I envision. If it does then I'll do it full size and see how it goes, work out any kinks. This would give us the option of having the tent either on the ground or up high. Trouble is there are all these other things that kind of have to get done so this project always gets bumped back.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
One thing when dealing with Roof Top Tents is the difficulty of setup when the floor is shoulder level or above. The fold open accordion style of RTTs eliminates the problem but even the minor setup of installing poles to hold the window awnings open is still kind of difficult. It's really going to slow you down if you can't easily get around the tent while setting it up.

outofrshell

Adventurer
That is one of the things that makes the Kodiak Flexbow Tent a good candidate for this, once the top is assemble and the perimeter is fastened down to the platform there are only 2 poles to put up which lifts the top and they are on the outside. One other pro to using this tent is you can stand up in it although that maybe would not be good if it was on a vehicle but on a trailer I plan on put some kind of stabilizer legs under the platform. I did change my thinking a little and will turn the tent so the 8Ft is the long ways and with the 9Ft folding, the platform can be then made to fold to only 4Ft wide X 12" high. Picture shown with awning out but that could be done with legs going back to floor

winterbigtree

Have you completed this yet.. funny I have been thinking the same thing.. have a pick-up work topper.. with a hitch hand .. mounts into the hitch of your truck.. thinking of building a slide out platform from inside the bed and onto the hitch hand.. was thinking of using the kodiac as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles