Ground Clearance Needs

Smileyshaun

Observer
Just a bit of perspective here, and mind you I am an old fart. I lived in Arizona in college, and had a couple of vehicles I would offroad all over the desert out there. A '79 International Harvester Scout 2, a 65 VW Westfalia, a 65 VW Baja Bug, and a 76 Toyota Celica. And given the proper driving technique, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Celica to places I would take the Scout.

Still have the celica? Had a 76 and want another lol

FAW3

Adventurer
I always run the largest tire I can fit on stock rims and no extra work. Everytime that hasn't been enough a winch, tug, shovel, or pile of rocks fixed my problems. People worry so much about getting stuck but if you spend enough time off pavement it happens. I would invest in a shovel, a good jack, and a cooler. It's important to have snacks and cold water while you figure out how to get unstuck?

This guy (or gal) is an OVERLANDER! (y)

clift_d

I think the importance of ground clearance depends on your vehicle. Our VW Syncro T25 only has around 24cm clear underneath, but it also has independently sprung half axles, and so that means that there's no big diff casings in the middle to drag on the ground, like you might get with a Landrover. The only issue we've ever had with clearance was in Iceland with regard to the breakover angle of our van, which led to us catching the underside, just once, while going over a lava crest on the F910 in the Icelandic Highlands.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles