GRMS radio/antenna help

txflyyaker

Observer
Literally millions of police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, forestry vehicles, work trucks, dump trucks, DOT trucks, etc... have been doing it for several decades with no issues at all.

I have two in my roof.

If you feel a bit iffy about it, I bet a pro shop that does those pro vehicles can do it for you with a warranty and with better cable such as RG8X and still be cheaper than that mount.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.
Just hate drilling a hole in the roof.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just hate drilling a hole in the roof.
The first time is always a big step in a ham's life. I mean holes in the roof, minds out of the gutter you pervs.

It is the best for performance and I think actually one of the least likely to cause new damage. Mag mounts almost always leave little swirls, for example.

If you ever want to sell the truck they make little plugs and no one will notice. If they do, well then "It was for a cell phone antenna" usually make sense to just about everyone.

dreadlocks

Thanks all for the info. I think I have myself talked into drilling a hole in the roof.?

Get yourself a nice sharp step bit, tape it all off, hit it with a small pilot to guide the step bit and so you know exactly where its coming in under.. you can go to the dealer and get a small can of touch up paint and paint any exposed metal if you'd like.

I used to have no problem drilling holes in all my old beaters, but I chickened out on the most expensive vehicle I had bought with its fancy aluminum.. ended up installing it on a frontrunner at great expense, and now I wanna run power up there so guess who's still gotta drill holes in the damn roof? this guy, hah.. at least its paid off now and its gotten plenty of dents and dings from usage, plus I think I'll probably be the last owner of this fine vehicle, so I'm more meh about it now.. will be nice running feedline through a nice cable gland instead of through the hatch.

Last edited:

Billoftt

The first hole is the hardest and most awkward to get through. After that, it becomes easier and second nature.

Sent by electrons or some crap like that.

JasmineCornishf7x

Thanks a lot for this advice. It can actually work, magnetic cb antenna may be helpful in this case, you know, you wouldn't need to drill your roof and search for the right grounding. I'm personally very satisfied that I purchased myself a magnetic cb antenna, its performance is highly efficient and they're really easy in use, I mean, the only thing you need to do is to install in correctly, which is pretty easy as it's magnetic. This article I've discovered on https://www.palmgear.com/best-magnetic-cb-antenna-reviews/ is very helpful when you need to make a wise choice, really detailed description and fair ranking!

Last edited:

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
Magnetic roof mount....no holes to drill. But you do need a steel roof for that not aluminum or fabric LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94