Grinding sound in 4wd

glazener24

Hello,

With the recent snow in Oklahoma, I have discovered a new problem with my 2014 AEV JK350 Rubicon. When I put the jeep in 4wd, it makes a pretty loud grinding or buzzing type sound. The noise does not occur when in 2wd. I did some google searching (I am not mechanically inclined) and discovered that the problem may be a bad CV joint. I crawled under the Jeep and found that the rubber boot around the CV joint is torn open and that it has thrown grease all over. I have also noticed a quiet ticking type sound when in 2wd while driving around town. I never thought much of the ticking sound, but now I am wondering if it could be related to the CV joint as well. The ticking sound gets faster as I accelerate and slows down as I decelerate.

My question is, do my Jeep's symptoms sound consistent with a bad CV joint? And, if so, can I simply replace the CV joint, or does something like this typically require additional work to the front driveshaft?

Thank you all in advance for your help!

-Jake

Anything is possible, just remember that the front driveshaft is constantly rotating even in 2wd. If it is in fact that driveshaft its a safety issue, I'd have that fixed asap!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94