Griddle Purchase - for Camping

kathleenmelissa

I am considering buying a griddle and am looking for some experiences to help make up my mind. I am mainly considering the CampChef 600 4 burner and the Royal Gourmet 4 burner griddle. They both have things I like but they are both missing something.

I have cooked on Blackstones before and I like them but there are 2 things I don’t like about the black stone. The front grease catch and grease channel is very messy. I really dislike that. I also do not like that it is very wobbly and feels unstable. The stand is not good.

The thing I like about the camp chef is that it has grill grates and the griddle. I don’t know how much I will use the grates but it’s a nice feature. I don’t know how well it works but it does have the front grease catch so I’m not excited about that.

Last edited:

geojag

On the smaller table top Blackstone, there is a new "Adventure Ready" model that has a rear grease trap that hangs off the back of the grill. I am not sure if it is any more stable, but the seem to get good reviews. I have the old version with the drawer type grease trap, and I agree it is a bit loose fitting. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I agree it is a bit cheap feeling. I have had the grill not slid all the way back and the grease missed the trap and went all over the front of the stove, I won't do that again.

They also make a very nice backpack case for the 17" Blackstone, but it costs as much as the stove does!

Cecald

I use a 2 burner camp check stove almost daily at the house and also camping.

i have it set up with a griddle over one burner and a grill over the other. The front grease catch can get messy but I’ve started to buy aluminum foil “buckets” that fit inside and are easily disposable. Walmart sells some that are inexpensive and fit well enough. The grease run gets, greasy, but you can easily wipe it out. This cooking setup has become so valuable to me that it’s completely replaced my four burner traditional gas grill for all but huge party grilling events.

Extremely pleased with the modular camp chef system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke