Grenadier Questions and Answers? Post'em Up

SkiWill

Thank you very much Scott for the offer.

Well, since you offered, here goes:

1. I've read that Ineos plans on making the workshop manual publicly available. Presumably if they have started deliveries, the workshop manual is now available. Is there a way to access the LHD petrol workshop manual? It would be really insightful on what it will be like to maintain this vehicle.

2. Will the bull bar be available in the US market? It's not currently on the US configurator, but is on the Australian configurator. We've got big mammals running around all over the place on this continent as well.

3. What is the octane rating requirement on the re-tuned petrol B58 engine? It'd be really nice if this didn't require premium fuel.

4. I know you can't answer this one, but it's the question at the top of a lot of our minds. What is this going to cost in the US?

Thanks again, and I look forward to whatever you're able to provide.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm sure you've asked not to publicly discuss this, but Matt mentioned with some confidence that MFGs were actively working on pop-ups for the Grenadier. If you have not be sworn to secrecy, can you can add any more.

During the last Expo, I discussed the Grenadier with Jeremy from Alu-Cab and he felt his company had to come to market with something for the Grenadier even if initially it would not be a high volume seller and was in early stages of concepts.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I'm sure you've asked not to publically discuss this, but Matt mentioned with some confidence that MFGs were actively working on pop-ups for the Grenadier. If you have not be sworn to secretcy, can you can add any more.

During the last Expo, I discussed the Grenadier with Jeremy from Alu-Cab and he felt his company had to come to market with something for the Grenadier even if initially it would be a high volume seller and was in early stages of concepts.
I will check with Matt on this too.

nickw

Adventurer
Q1) Maintenance requirements; how have they thought through maintenance requirements and workflow around the engine and trans. The B58 is a well known engine with well known problematic maintenance requirements (Vanos / rear timing chain); are there workaround to maintain these and or local dealers we can depend on that can do it?

Q2) Have they bulletproofed the B58 & trans for use in the Gren vs std. use in the lighter SUV/Sedan platforms?

Thanks

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Luckily, the transmission is the same one used in the 392. It will handle the straight 6 with a turbo well.

nickw

Adventurer
Luckily, the transmission is the same one used in the 392. It will handle the straight 6 with a turbo well.
I have not seen any input on specifics on transmission, where did you hear that?

*Edit - unless things have changed, according to this article I don't think it's as lucky as you think:

"both engines come mated to a ZF eight-speed automatic transmission (codenamed 8HP51 for the petrol, 8HP76 for the diesel)"

Which seems to be aligned with chatter on some forums:

As a FYI the 8HP51 is NOT used in the 392, it's used in rigs like the Supra, Z4, 2-series, etc.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Darn, that’s what I get for looking at the diesel stuff. Yeah, the 392 uses the 8HP75 as does the diesel wrangler.

I did online "Chat" with Ineos marketing yesterday about seating. Only the 5 seat station wagon is coming to the US. Do seats fold flat? He said yes, but not level with the cargo deck. Do they unbolt easily? No answer. What is the wait list for US buyers? I didn't copy the answer but it seemed to be more about the EU wait list. I'm no mechanic so a 30 year old Troopy is not good for me. I've been budget camping/traveling since the sixties. (Bicycle, VW beetle, pickup) My Taco is great but it requires exiting the cab to get in the camper. In the US scenic areas are so crowded that campers are pushed farther out into the "shoulder seasons" of cold, heat, windstorms and dangerous weather. I want warmth and safety without the glamour. Will Ineos be the answer or just a "Chelsea Tractor?" Or in US language a "Day Care Armored Personnel Carrier."

Regarding start-ups. I spent an engineering career working for genius start-ups. Some failed, the ones that succeeded all got absorbed by bigger companies. My consumer experience is with the GM Saturn. I "bought American" and got stiffed by GM when they dropped Saturn. The local dealer was terrible and when all the service guys left, I followed them to Toyota, not knowing what I bought there would become an icon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles