GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

AML

Adventurer
Looks great. I am finally starting to tackle my trailer. I like what you did with yours!

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That turned out great. I like the design and the paint finish turned out just right. Where did you source "Zero Rust" paint?

I picked it up at a local Autobody Supply shop. It was not cheap but it is good paint. Dries fast and hard. Sadly there is some rust coming out from under the mesh where it is welded to the tubes. I couldn't get paing into those gaps...argh. I am probably going to get it powder coated after all.

Looks great. I am finally starting to tackle my trailer. I like what you did with yours!

Thanks a lot! Post a link to your build thread or pics.

VanIsle_Greg

Finally managed to get the tent mounted to the new rack, and it is awesome. I was not a huge fan of the camo at first, but seeing it in person, I really dig it. Plus, this is the one and only camo RTT that is not a Tepui as they have exclusive rights to that for their tents. I understand that they were not too happy that this one was made...oops. So it is 1 of 1.

All that aside, here is the final product for now.

Rack mounted up.

And the RTT mounted.

And opened up for testing. Not going to lie, it is a pain in the butt compared to opening up my trailer RTT (because it is way up high on my lifted Jeep), but it is identical in every way and in some ways a little nicer than the CVT. The zippers are nicer and the fabric seems a little bit heavier. All in all they are almost identical. I also must say that I am a big fan of this type of ladder over the telescoping style. I like its simplicity and it feels more sturdy. Its a ways up but a nice climb and a great view!

My son very much approves of this!

So... now I am GTG for all of the family to come camping. Nice!
:coffeedrink:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Nice great setup! Biggest complaint on the roof tent on top of the truck is trying to zip it back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hesterj

Adventurer
The rtt set up fits the XJ nicely. Congrats on the camo score.

You may already know this,the expanded metal is a great tie down platform. Depending on the size of the metal you went with you might be able to slip ratchet strap hooks at any point on the deck. It has come in handy on numerous trips to the hardware store.

The only downside is that it will sing a little more then before at road speed.
...and if you ever cut the top off it makes for a great sun screen. Lol

The rust...good luck! Mine was stripped and redone because the rust water hitting my soft top. Lasted about one season here in Texas bouncing off the mesquite trees. Rattle can seems to be the way to go now for me.

VanIsle_Greg

The rtt set up fits the XJ nicely. Congrats on the camo score.

You may already know this,the expanded metal is a great tie down platform. Depending on the size of the metal you went with you might be able to slip ratchet strap hooks at any point on the deck. It has come in handy on numerous trips to the hardware store.

The only downside is that it will sing a little more then before at road speed.
...and if you ever cut the top off it makes for a great sun screen. Lol

The rust...good luck! Mine was stripped and redone because the rust water hitting my soft top. Lasted about one season here in Texas bouncing off the mesquite trees. Rattle can seems to be the way to go now for me.

Heh... yeah, rust socks. I touched it up with a brush and got it sealed up under the mesh for now. It will spend 99% of the winter under cover in a portable garage/shed, so for now it is ok. It seems to be pretty quiet on the road actually. I hear a little bit of a whistle off of the front 20" LED light bar, but otherwise it is pretty quiet. I am getting the wind deflector cut this week, should be able to mount it up by next weekend. That should also help.

Took it out for a drive with my son today in the sunshine. What a beautiful day, not too many of those left this year I bet... winter is coming.

Need to get back on topic about the trailer soon. Up next, a rack to lift the RTT!

wbusby

Looks good Greg! Do you have plans for the lift system for your trailer? I had something fabbed up so if you wanted to take a look just PM me - we are practically neighbours after all!!

Warren

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks PhotoBucket for accidently losing all 4000+ of my photos from my paid account. They assured me that this was "one in a billion issue... and it only affected a handful of customers". Um, doesn't that make it not one in a billion, more like a handful in a billion??

Needless to say, this build thread is now dead. Ugh.

Oh and BTW... do not EVER use Photobucket for anything. Even with a paid account, this is the 2nd time this has happened in the past couple of years.

VanIsle_Greg

That is awful. I am so sorry this happened to you. :squint:

Yeah me too. I am moving over to Flikr and setting it all up now. Maybe one day I will rebuild this thread? Or maybe edit all of my posts to remove the dead pics and post a summary at the end? Yeah, not happy at all.

Such a bummer! Loved following your build. Sorry man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah, it was fun while it lasted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles