GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Man... I haven't updated this in a long time now have I? Well, there is a good reason fro that. I have not done ANYTHING to the trailer since I last used it in June! Oh man, I feel sad every time I see it out there. We missed out fall camping trip this year as well, life got in the way for all of us. I am still hopeful I can get out before next spring, but not sure when or how? Kids, work, after school activities all take a toll on your camp time.

I was out checking it out a few days ago, dry as a bone inside and ready to go at a moments notice. Well sealed if nothing else. heh I sure love that thing.

Hopefully I have some updates before spring to share, in the meantime...back to living vicariously through you all out there...in your nice trailers and southern climates.

:coffeedrink:

hesterj

Adventurer
Well great!

I live vicariously through your page,so what does that speak about me?? The only reason my trailer ever moves is because I never unhook it from the jeep. It does see the trips to the feed store and here lately it's hauled supplies for a new fence in the lower pasture.

No excuses about the weather here. It was mid 70's this afternoon in Texas. Kids and the wife keep the list growing on things needed more then playtime.

Here's to your future trips and safe travels!

VanIsle_Greg

Hello HesterJ.
I used to use my trailer for errands and construction supplies etc... but with the water tank and all the other interior stuff now it is not possible. I ended up buying yet another utility trailer. heh I even tried to buy another CDN M101 but the guy wanted $2000.00 for it! Ouch

It has been very warm here, no snow, but lots of rain. LOTS. Still might try to get out in January, a few of my friends are itching to get out, but logistics are tough with so many competing priorities.

jays0n

Adventurer
i hear that, we havent been out since that weekend in Plain either (we were parked next to you, can see my yellow FJ in one of your photos). Sure was a hot weekend! We had just moved into a new house and spent the summer doing renovations. I have a bunch of changes planned for my trailer to do this winter for a Baja trip next fall, raise/lower the tent with linear actuators, more water/fuel storage, adding shocks, adding an inverter, etc but after gathering a pile of parts i broke my right hand last week messing around with my mountain bike so now i'll be lucky if i get it done my Spring. Really wish life would stop getting in the way of my fun!

Mattio41

Trailer Hitch

Hi Greg,

I think I have read your thread about 3 times now, and many of the modifications you made, look incredible. I was wondering if you might answer a few questions.

1) I noticed at one point you went with what I am assuming is a lock and roll hitch, but in later pictures, it looks like you converted back to a regular ball copular. Is there any reason for the switch?

2) You had contemplated doing your water tank under the tub. But ultimately changed your mind. Was there any one convincing factor to change your mind? I have a 2dr 2011 wrangler, and with the back seat, there is absolutely "ZERO" cargo space, so everything will have to go into the trailer. So all space will be crucial.

3) I noticed you mounted your tent directly to your lid. Was there any consideration to use a rack? My initial thoughts would be a moisture problem of the lid and tent with direct contact with each other.

I appreciate all your effort into putting together a well documented build. It is very inspiring.

Regards,

Mattio

VanIsle_Greg

i hear that, we havent been out since that weekend in Plain either (we were parked next to you, can see my yellow FJ in one of your photos). Sure was a hot weekend! We had just moved into a new house and spent the summer doing renovations. I have a bunch of changes planned for my trailer to do this winter for a Baja trip next fall, raise/lower the tent with linear actuators, more water/fuel storage, adding shocks, adding an inverter, etc but after gathering a pile of parts i broke my right hand last week messing around with my mountain bike so now i'll be lucky if i get it done my Spring. Really wish life would stop getting in the way of my fun!

Hey there, yes I totally remember the yellow FJ and matching trailer. You guys had quite a group there for the event. Thanks again for the ice cubes... hot Bourbon is just not awesome. I really liked your trailer setup, it was awesome...so clean.

I will be back at NWOR this year, looking forward to it! Hope you are there, also looking forward to the updates.

Sorry to hear about the hand, that just sucks. I have been riding mountain bikes for years, and have bruised, torn, broken and otherwise tattered myself many times. Heal up fast!

Hi Greg,

I think I have read your thread about 3 times now, and many of the modifications you made, look incredible. I was wondering if you might answer a few questions.

1) I noticed at one point you went with what I am assuming is a lock and roll hitch, but in later pictures, it looks like you converted back to a regular ball copular. Is there any reason for the switch?

Hey Mattio. Yeah I did indeed have a coupler, it was/is a custom made unit. The reason for the switch back to a ball is simple, the coupler I have is not DOT approved. It works awesome offroad, but for on road towing I use the ball for insurance reasons. Maybe I am being overly cautions, but just in case. I carry the coupler in the trailer with me in case it gets really twisty!

2) You had contemplated doing your water tank under the tub. But ultimately changed your mind. Was there any one convincing factor to change your mind? I have a 2dr 2011 wrangler, and with the back seat, there is absolutely "ZERO" cargo space, so everything will have to go into the trailer. So all space will be crucial.

Yeah, I thought long and hard about it. Really what it came down to was complexity and ground clearance. While I don't plan on doing a lot of "rock crawling" with this setup, it would hang very low, so a skid plate was going to be crucial. The cost, complexity and effort involved meant it was more work than I really wanted to do. I have 13 gal internal in my tank and it only takes up about 4 square feet. I don't haul enough stuff to really notice the loss of cargo space, and the security of having the water inside is pretty nice. Under would work very well, my friend Mike did an under belly tank in his teardrop...it works great. He also has a big belly skid plate to protect it too.

3) I noticed you mounted your tent directly to your lid. Was there any consideration to use a rack? My initial thoughts would be a moisture problem of the lid and tent with direct contact with each other.

The tent sits on 2 rails, so the tent floor is about 2" away from the top of the lid. With the way the tent cover hangs down, it actually keeps the area under the tent perfectly dry even on the highway in pouring rain. I have not had an issue at all, it has worked out well. Having said that, I do want to build a rack, and lift it with Linear Actuators (18" stroke). The reason, get the weight off the lid and lift the tent higher off the ground when deployed. Works well enough now, but if someone is in the tent, no more tub access...which I found out at NWOR is a hassle.

I appreciate all your effort into putting together a well documented build. It is very inspiring.

Regards,

Mattio

Thanks for reading, hope my thread and answers helped!
Greg

silvrzuki77

explorer
Don't feel bad I have barely touched my trailer! 8 months and just got the water tank finished!Well almost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VanIsle_Greg

Don't feel bad I have barely touched my trailer! 8 months and just got the water tank finished!Well almost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have kids and so on... I get it, same here. Love that trailer too, can't wait to see it out there again. I might be in Las Vegas for a conference in August 2016, if I make it this year I will have to look you up? See that sweet trailer in person.

:drool:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I know that trailer!I saw itnow and then when i Used to live in Esquimalt till 2 yrs ago . USED to be towed by Iltis's [Ilti?] in the CF . nice build

VanIsle_Greg

Thanks!

This particular unit was from Vancouver prior to me picking it up. I live in Saanich, but do drag it around from time to time. heh

Should be getting it out soon for a trip, and headed to NWOR in June again. PPCLI, I assume you served or are still serving with the CDN forces?

VanIsle_Greg

Hard to believe it has been 6 month since I updated this. I guess as this is a "build thread" and I have not really done any building on it per-say that is ok. I have been doing some planning, and am still looking to build a trailer rack/lift system for the RTT. Funds somehow got diverted into building a new roof rack system for the XJ and adding a second RTT to my stable of things.

I worked with my friend and fabricator Mike (Wavebreaker) on a design, similar to an ARB rack I found online.

ARB

He picked up the material and had a fellow he knows with a sick Tube Shark bender go to town on the bends. Tacked it up and mocked it up in place. She's a Big-un.

There will be a wind deflector on the front, plexiglass as with my last rack. There is a 20" dual row light bar getting mounted up front too. In the rear there are 2 x 6 LED single row lights mounted under for backup lights. I sold my last set with the old rack, and I really liked them! The RTT is a prototype from O-Spec (https://o-spec.com/index.php/product-category/rooftoptents/) called the Roof Tent Alpha, and this will be the only one in the world with the Camo print. Sweet.

The trailer... well, it has been used a few times this year, but only a total of 3 nights...sadly. I am hoping to get out in a few weeks for a couple of nights. Oh yeah, and that pic above has a "Foxwing" style awning attached to my friends trailer with my tent on it (demo purpose). Might need to get one of those too. lol

:coffeedrink:

VanIsle_Greg

Spent a few hours grinding and prepping my rack for paint. Then... painted it.

Grinding, sanding, prepping, and mounted my lights for a test fit.

Sprayed it with a number of coats of Zero Rust in satin. MAN I love this paint... so easy to work with a dries quick. No primer required either as it is direct to metal.

So much mesh...

It will be getting a plexiglass wind deflector up front soon. Need to make a template ASAP.

I must say... painting expanded metal mesh is a PITA. So much waste. Custom gutter mounts (clamping portion not shown) and tie down rings.

PCO6

Adventurer
That turned out great. I like the design and the paint finish turned out just right. Where did you source "Zero Rust" paint?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior