GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

k294

OMG I would lose my mind if those were my pics. I am always referencing your threads as I slowly rework my trailer-- so this is entirely unacceptable (for me) Photobucket ;-)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Pics are back up and online. I finally received a response from PB support yesterday afternoon, and when I checked all of my stuff was back online. Coincidence I think...no. At least they are back!

Time to download them all to my Comp and then back them up to my online backup source (Crashplan - http://www.code42.com/crashplan/).

Phew.

VanIsle_Greg

This trailer setup is exactly what I want to do, too. Job well done, thanks for the inspiration.

Glad you like it! I basically looked at other builds out there and decided to take inspiration from a few and merge it all together. Feel free to ask for questions and let me know if you want to see any detail shots of anything I have done.

Side note. I HATE Tremclad paint. I painted up some parts I was working on, properly cleaned and wiped and dried...and it fisheyed all over the place! Not the first time either. I was out of Krylon, so I had to use what I had to move it forward. Ugh... why dont I learn it was on sale 50% off for the 25% more spray cans for a reason!!!

#sad face

VanIsle_Greg

A bit of an update.

I finally managed to get some work done to my trailer yesterday. I worked with my friend Mike (Wavebreaker here on ExPo) to design an awning attachment system for over the rear mounted kitchen. It needed to be removable, modular, have permanent awning storage and of course, be awesome. lol It is...

Uprights permanently mounted to the D Rings at the rear. Solid mounting and otherwise unused.

I used Alan key head stainless and it took FOREVER to drill through there. For the record, the D Rings are not very evenly attached (nor symmetrical) to the trailer, so getting my uprights correctly mounted was "interesting". Next up, I attached the center piece of the uprights. These all attack with a round tube welded into the square bar and then inserted into the lower square bar as a pin.

I was then able to attach the upper awning brackets to the awning itself and then space them out for attaching to the uprights.

Attached the awning to the uprights, adjusted for width and cinched up.

Now, for the permanent storage part of this. I Mike and I came up with a design to attach them to the hinge side of the trailer lid. Aluminum backing plates on the inside and some more stainless bolts with some RTV to seal up the holes. These worked out awesome!

Mounted up for travel.

No pics of it deployed as I ran out of time. Will test it out soon hopefully. Planning on camping soon, maybe...

T-Rey1

Adventurer
A bit of an update.

I finally managed to get some work done to my trailer yesterday. I worked with my friend Mike (Wavebreaker here on ExPo) to design an awning attachment system for over the rear mounted kitchen. It needed to be removable, modular, have permanent awning storage and of course, be awesome. lol It is...

Uprights permanently mounted to the D Rings at the rear. Solid mounting and otherwise unused.

I used Alan key head stainless and it took FOREVER to drill through there. For the record, the D Rings are not very evenly attached (nor symmetrical) to the trailer, so getting my uprights correctly mounted was "interesting". Next up, I attached the center piece of the uprights. These all attack with a round tube welded into the square bar and then inserted into the lower square bar as a pin.

I was then able to attach the upper awning brackets to the awning itself and then space them out for attaching to the uprights.

Attached the awning to the uprights, adjusted for width and cinched up.

Now, for the permanent storage part of this. I Mike and I came up with a design to attach them to the hinge side of the trailer lid. Aluminum backing plates on the inside and some more stainless bolts with some RTV to seal up the holes. These worked out awesome!

Mounted up for travel.

No pics of it deployed as I ran out of time. Will test it out soon hopefully. Planning on camping soon, maybe...

Very nice. I mounted my awning to the trailer lid next to the RTT

20140825_190229.jpg
IMG_1487.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

And deployed. Well, driveway deployed, but better than nothing. I set up the awning and then opened up the tent. There is a gap between the tent and the awning but I have a plan to deal with that, a rain gutter of sorts...but more of a rain guard.

Here is the awning deployed with the tent up and the kitchen out (incl water heater).

And the cat...18 years old, 19 in March, he is a pretty old cat.

Here you gan see the "Gap". Wet counter may occur.

Cat photo-bombing again. Pretty good coverage from the awning. I think I am going to grab one of the Ez Awning tent-rooms for the awning to get a full room off the back. I might be able to fit a cot in there for sleeping too. That or one of the CVT Black Bute end of awning ground tents. TBD...

Did some wiring too. I added a USB charger to the tent. Simple marine plug into the tongue box, so I can move it around a bit too it has about a 6' cord. Then...the plug on my tent light pulled off again. Cheap wires I guess? I will fix that this week sometime. HOPING to get out camping the weekend of the 20th... for the first time with this trailer this year. I think we have camped 15 days this year in the other trailer, not enough though. Sigh.

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

Very nice. I mounted my awning to the trailer lid next to the RTT

Looks good, I like that setup. Great awnings.

I noticed when I opened mine up that the little bag with the ground wires and the pegs is missing....DOH. I know it was there when I picked up the awning from its former owner, I checked. At least I can steal the one off my CVT awning on my XJ if I need to and cant find the other one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior