GregB_00XJ M101 CDN2 "Way too Red" Build Thread (finally)

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I finally had a chance to read through your entire thread. What an awesome build. It gave me several great idea. Thanks!

Thanks MF, yeah it has been a lot of work and a long time coming. Sadly it sits in the shed a lot doing nothing, but then again, its paid for and I can use it at my leisure so....all is good. Looking forward to a few trips this year, so little time, so few weeks of spring/summer/fall.

Anything you found particularly useful?

VanIsle_Greg

So I finally actually hauled the trailer out of the garage and did some work to it today. Actually about 5 hours of work...and cleaning. I had a friend weld me up some bits for a rear awning mount and a storage mount set for the side of the lid. I picked up a 7' Camping Labs awning that will go off the back of the trailer to cover the kitchen. The mounts needed to be strong and de-mountable. I think Mike and I designed something that will work awesome. Pics of that to follow...

I did a few things I have been wanting to do for a while today. I swapped out my rusty and worn looking triangle reflectors and put on the new Hella ones I got from another ExPo member.

Fresh.

I then took off the OEM safety chains and replaced them with some cables. With the lengthened tongue and the added chain it was pretty gawky and awkward to use them and they weighed a TON. Held on with grade 5 hardware for now until I grab a grade 8 bolt long enough.

At least if the ball becomes uncoupled I will not lose the whole thing.

I also cut the handles off of the front leveling jacks and welded on a pair of lug nuts that match the lug nuts on the trailer. Well actually Mike did those too.

No more handles to deal with

I also cleaned the whole trailer. It was gross after the last 9 months of sitting. I treated the awning covers and the RTT cover with 303 Aerospace Protectant... shiny and UV protected. Thats all for today, more this week. I am HOPING to go camping for a solo trip in the next few weeks, but I go to San Francisco for VM World at the end of the month for a week, so we will see. Just got back from 7 days camping in the Travel Trailer... that was good times!

VanIsle_Greg

With the 18v impact I was able to lift the trailer front off the ground from fully compressed in about 8 seconds....lol. FAST setup times now!!:)

Septu

Explorer
Could you still use the handle, by just placing it over the nut? Or would you have to remove the nut to use the handle? Just wondering if there's an easy way that doesn't involve power tools (last time I took my drill on the trail, it stopped working shortly afterwards).

Phoenix

Adventurer
Could you still use the handle, by just placing it over the nut? Or would you have to remove the nut to use the handle? Just wondering if there's an easy way that doesn't involve power tools (last time I took my drill on the trail, it stopped working shortly afterwards).

Fairly sure the nut is the same size as his lugs, so a tire iron will do in the case of a dead battery

VanIsle_Greg

Nope, it was cut off with a cutting disk.

Fairly sure the nut is the same size as his lugs, so a tire iron will do in the case of a dead battery

And we have a winner!

Yes, the lug nut and the ole tire spanner work for the trailer and now the jacks as well. I am actually going to toss and old socket and wrench in the tongue box just in case I am ever at a loss for how to lift it or better yet get it back down.

highlandercj-7

Explorer
That's the only way to fly IMHO. I use my Milwaukee 18v impact to run the jacks on my 30' RV. Last weekend the lot was so uneven I had the right side tires 6" in the air. I was like well now I know what to do to change a tire :)

VanIsle_Greg

Exactly.

Works awesome and the batteries last a long time. Thought about grabbing one of those 12v emergency impact guns that plug into your cig lighter/connect to your battery and keeping it in the trailer. If I find one on sale I might grab it.

Side note. My build thread photos on here and other sites are all FUBAR now. PhotoBucket (paid account) appears to have lost a few thousand of my photos from the past few years.

NOT impressed. Emailed support...not feeling hopeful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles