Great White Buffalo - 2000 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke

jingram

Adventurer
I am also in need of my new shocks because my 2000 stock shocks are totally clapped at this point. I was planning on getting new ones when I did a lift but if these Konis are that cheap then it might make sense to just do the swap now and then replace them again in a few more months when I actually do the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, not sure why they are so cheap, especially considering what they cost for other applications. Can only assume it’s because they are trying to break into this market?

My thought is that if they are garbage and don’t last, I’ll replace them with a more traditional truck shock next time.

Next up, my Timbren kit. Haven’t decided if I am going to both the front and rear or just the rear. I run them on the X and love them, especially since the 2nd gen Xterra is so softly sprung in the rear. Anybody running them on a full size here?

REF

Nice truck. I know it was mentioned, but I’ll 2nd the recommendation, if you want to wake the old 7.3 up a bit, the PHP Hydra tuner is the way to go, I’ve run a few others on our rig and this is by far the best.
I’m running a 40hp tow and a 60hp daily and it’s nice to have the added juice, no rolling coal and keeps EGTs in the green, throttle tip in isn’t twitchy or jumpy. An 80hp tune is the highest I’d go without other mods like injectors, HPOP…
The only other mods are 4” exhaust, TruCool trans cooler and a Mag Hytec trans pan, keeping an eye on temps with a scanguage and both EGT and boost probes with analog gauges.

beef tits

Re: HPOP/injectors/etc; You’re on the wrong site for technical 7.3 discussion, check out FTE.

Also good luck with that thing. Hope it is better than mine was. My 2000 7.3 was the worst vehicle I ever owned.

cobro92

Nice truck. I know it was mentioned, but I’ll 2nd the recommendation, if you want to wake the old 7.3 up a bit, the PHP Hydra tuner is the way to go, I’ve run a few others on our rig and this is by far the best.
I’m running a 40hp tow and a 60hp daily and it’s nice to have the added juice, no rolling coal and keeps EGTs in the green, throttle tip in isn’t twitchy or jumpy. An 80hp tune is the highest I’d go without other mods like injectors, HPOP…
The only other mods are 4” exhaust, TruCool trans cooler and a Mag Hytec trans pan, keeping an eye on temps with a scanguage and both EGT and boost probes with analog gauges.

He has a manual so he won’t need trans upgrades. But year a 4 inch exhaust is a nice touch. Pain in the ass to install though.

jingram

Adventurer

Yeah, I’m considering a Hydra at some point. Figure once I have a game plan around the turbo, hpop, etc. is when I’ll make the move. Did purchase an F650 lower dash so I’ll have room for a couple of analog gauges and a number of switches and or the Hydra mount to keep it clean.

Anyone using a SPOD with one of these trucks?

jingram

Adventurer
He has a manual so he won’t need trans upgrades. But year a 4 inch exhaust is a nice touch. Pain in the ass to install though.

Yeah, considering options an MBRP 4” setup, but still new to this world and haven’t dug in deep enough yet to know what my best options are for the exhaust, up-pipes, down-pipe, etc.

jingram

Adventurer
Re: HPOP/injectors/etc; You’re on the wrong site for technical 7.3 discussion, check out FTE.

Also good luck with that thing. Hope it is better than mine was. My 2000 7.3 was the worst vehicle I ever owned.

I’m on FTE and Powerstroke.org, but most of those guys are building for maximum power or just trying to band-aid things along. I’ve been on Expo for 15+ years at this point and this is my crowd and figured this might be an interesting build for folks.

I am in the position to make this a fun project, while balancing between cost, reliability, and our overland needs, especially as the kids get older and bigger.
I like the thought of keeping this old iron on the road if I can. Financially we are fortunate enough that we could just as easily have gone out and bought a new Tremor or something, but purposely decided to give this a shot. That said, I’m not going to lie… the updated Silverado with front and rear lockers hitting in 2022 has a certain appeal.

my biggest concern is that my wife eventually has it with the noise and smell and says enough, but she grew up around this kind of thing in farm country and usually humors me. Keeps me out of trouble and off the streets. ?

mtnbiker4evr13

Love my 7.3 powerstrokes and support your decision over a tremor.

As to HPOP, Injectors etc.. Being a 99+ Super Duty you already have 140cc split shot injectors and the 17 degree HPOP so power wise it'll be solid if they are in good shape. You could check your HPOP duty % to see if its falling behind but if its not leaking externally and maintenance was kept up then they are long lived. High pressure oil lines can be an issue and there are good aftermarket options through Strictly or CNC Fab. Injectors wise some new Orings and a contribution test would be good peace of mind. Re-sealing the fuel filter bowl and doing a full coolant refresh (pump, belt, coolant etc..). Already good suggestions on batteries, CPS and related sensors. The Bosch 044 electric fuel pump might be good to have on hand if really remote as well, injectors will pull fuel for a short time if it goes out but not many miles.

Power wise, I was happy with a small tow tune, upgraded compressor wheel to fix turbo surge and a free flowing exhaust on my 99. Anything above that is useless offroad and strains other things.

BBslider001

Diesel Head
I’m on FTE and Powerstroke.org, but most of those guys are building for maximum power or just trying to band-aid things along. I’ve been on Expo for 15+ years at this point and this is my crowd and figured this might be an interesting build for folks.

I am in the position to make this a fun project, while balancing between cost, reliability, and our overland needs, especially as the kids get older and bigger.
I like the thought of keeping this old iron on the road if I can. Financially we are fortunate enough that we could just as easily have gone out and bought a new Tremor or something, but purposely decided to give this a shot. That said, I’m not going to lie… the updated Silverado with front and rear lockers hitting in 2022 has a certain appeal.

my biggest concern is that my wife eventually has it with the noise and smell and says enough, but she grew up around this kind of thing in farm country and usually humors me. Keeps me out of trouble and off the streets. ?

Absolutely not true. I have been on FTE for 12 years with 6 different 7.3 trucks. Most of the real knowledgeable guys build for longevity with a mix of power for towing heavy. I am not sure who you talked to over there, but those "max power band aid" guys don't last long. Check out the tech stickies and such. There is a wealth of info on the 7.3 you won't find here. The biggest thing is you have to understand the 7.3 and what makes it tick.....besides injectors LOL. Know your sensors, o-rings, and oiling system. Only use Ford Motorcraft parts if possible and beware of impostors on Ebay and Amazon. It is NOT the Cummins or the Duramax. The 7.3 is the best diesel engine built IMO and knowing it inside and out is simple.

Last edited:

displacedtexan

If you or the shop is anywhere near removing valve covers... I'd replace both of those gaskets.

They are somewhat failure prone, mostly the gaskets... There's no good time to loose a bank of cylinders. They definitely seem to fail at the most bad times though.

BackcountryAggie

A good maintenance item is your UVCH (under valve cover harness). They get brittle and break or short out over time, leaving one (or both) banks not firing. Not a great thing to have happen miles from town.

As for upgrades, my mindset was similar to yours, I did my build for simple, reliable power. I went with 180/30cc FFD injectors, new KC turbo, 4” exhaust, S&B intake, PHP Hydra tuner, and lots of miscellaneous maintenance items (glow plugs, starter, water pump, etc.). I wanted to make around the same power as my 6.7, with *hopefully* none of the issues that the high HP 7.3s have.

For your other question, I installed a Switch Pros 9100, which is similar to the SPOD unit. Very happy with the unit and operations, I put mine right next to the 4x4 switch. Definitely worth the money, I much prefer the cleaner look than in my last 7.3, which had 4-5 switches scattered around the dash.

StoicDemolisher

I’m on my second 7.3. First was a 2000 extended cab current one is a 2002 crew cab. No issues with either just needed/wanted to upgrade to a crew cab. I will echo what the others are saying keep an extra CPS sensor and watch the EGT and it should run relatively problem free. If yours is ESOF you may want to consider checking all the vacuum lines to the front hubs for leaks. As far as switches I took the lower dash from a 2005 and the upfitter switches and installed them. Works very well for me. Also consider swapping the rear seat. I swapped mine for a 60/40 one from a 2006 it allows for the back to fold flat or the seat bottoms to fold up makes storing things behind the seat easier. Uses the same bolt holes and also for more usable space for things in rear of the cab. Dogs usually in my case when I don’t need the seats for people.

Attachments

• 65755033-901B-46F2-B948-485A7F3214EF.jpeg
    65755033-901B-46F2-B948-485A7F3214EF.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 34
  • 61CD63EA-10EB-4F5E-9F82-58755989497A.jpeg
    61CD63EA-10EB-4F5E-9F82-58755989497A.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94