Great White Buffalo - 2000 Ford 7.3 Powerstroke

jingram

Adventurer
Well after years of driving compact trucks and SUVs, my growing family necessitated the need to get something bigger. While we still have the 2011 Nissan Xterra Pro4X with manual transmission of course, I started looking several years back for something that would comfortably haul my family and our increasing amount of gear comfortably.

I came really close to pulling the trigger on a brand new RAM 3500 with manual transmission back in 2018, but frankly couldn't stomach the price of a new rig. Subsequently, I realize that was a mistake, but am not interested in paying crazy money for used ones with high mileage either. Eventually that led me to start looking at older rigs, ideally pre-emissions. I knew I needed a crew cab, ideally with a manual transmission, and something that was well maintained and not from the rust belt. Being in the PNW, unless it is a rig on the coast, typically rust isn't much of a concern, but finding a rig that hadn't been beat to snot and put away wet, certainly proved to be a challenge.

After nearly 2.5 years of looking, I finally tracked down the rig we have christened the Great White Buffalo. Rig was owned by the same gentleman since new and we pretty well cared for. Some deferred maintenance, but not a ton. Manual transmission, which is nice. Definitely a big shift from more compact trucks. I grew up running full size rigs from the 70, 80s, and early 90s, but we all know that almost equates to midsize now.

Lots of goals with this one, but first and foremost is to take care of any deferred maintenance and then tastefully add functionality and capability. The end goal is to support a low profile camper - FWC, Alaskan, or some other kind of lighter weigh pop-up that won't completely compromise all functionality.

First up:
  1. New OEM Headlights - Parts have arrived
  2. LED Conversion for all ancillary lighting - arts have arrived
  3. New Tires - Parts have arrived
  4. New Android Auto Head Unit - including front and rear cameras - - Parts have arrived
  5. New Shocks - Parts Ordered
  6. New Batteries - Parts have arrived
  7. New Starter - Parts Ordered
  8. New Heavy Duty Intake - Parts Ordered

Long Term and this is where I need Expos help from all of you 7.3 experts
  1. HPOP
  2. Turbo?
  3. Glow Plugs
  4. Exhaust
  5. Sensors?
  6. Plenums
  7. Injectors?

Again, my goal is not raw HP, just dead reliable.

Without further adieu...

Attachments

• IMG_2891 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2891 (Medium).JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2886 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2886 (Medium).JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2893 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2893 (Medium).JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 68

andy_b

I have basically (my interior is tan :( ) the same truck! I also almost bought a Ram in 2018 lol.

Regarding your parts list, I would take it to a shop you trust and have them run through it, specifically for glow plug and injector testing. Otherwise, my limited experience with the 7.3L is that it is pretty good. The turbo pedestal often leaks which can be super annoying. The up-pipes also can leak; these are also annoying. The factory HPOP is probably fine unless you want more power; same for a new turbo, injectors, etc. I would buy a new camshaft position sensor and install it. Save the old one in the glovebox.

I have a PHP Hydra which was a great addition for more power. Otherwise, I've basically done much of the same things you are planning - leveled, Fox shocks, wheels/tires, Carplay, etc etc.

jingram

Adventurer
I have basically (my interior is tan :( ) the same truck! I also almost bought a Ram in 2018 lol.

Regarding your parts list, I would take it to a shop you trust and have them run through it, specifically for glow plug and injector testing. Otherwise, my limited experience with the 7.3L is that it is pretty good. The turbo pedestal often leaks which can be super annoying. The up-pipes also can leak; these are also annoying. The factory HPOP is probably fine unless you want more power; same for a new turbo, injectors, etc. I would buy a new camshaft position sensor and install it. Save the old one in the glovebox.

I have a PHP Hydra which was a great addition for more power. Otherwise, I've basically done much of the same things you are planning - leveled, Fox shocks, wheels/tires, Carplay, etc etc.
Yeah, it goes into DK Diesel up in Bellingham for a complete work up. They’ve done a number of projects for other expo folks including some mega cab extension/super single setups.

Work starts in earnest tomorrow.

BajaSurfRig

I would recommend having the hi pressure oils lines replaced. Mine failed 5 hours south of the border and it was a long tow home… Also replace the glow plug relay and starting solenoid. Some fresh AGM batteries can’t hurt either as the 7.3 needs a lot of juice to turn over. Regarding sensors you will want to replace your IPR or at least know the symptoms of when it is starting to go out (engine will die randomly when it is warmed up and then it won’t start until the IPR is cold again). Also carry a CPS in your glove box with the tools to change it. There is a bushing on the clutch pedal that can wear out and cause some headaches (at least on the OBS’s). I replaced that with a heim joint kit that worked really well. Buenas suerte!!

jingram

Adventurer
Well she has new shoes... had a lot of debate around this one. I know that most folks have not like BFG TA KO2 on these rigs and a lot of folks trend towards Toyo. In my neck of the woods, a lot of ranchers still run old school M-55s for example. In the end, I went with Falken Wildpeak A/TW3. Hopefully they perform well on this heavy beast! Also went up a size to 285/76/16s.

Next up is tackling the lighting.

Attachments

• IMG_3024 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3024 (Medium).JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3020 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3020 (Medium).JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 59

jingram

Adventurer
I would recommend having the hi pressure oils lines replaced. Mine failed 5 hours south of the border and it was a long tow home… Also replace the glow plug relay and starting solenoid. Some fresh AGM batteries can’t hurt either as the 7.3 needs a lot of juice to turn over. Regarding sensors you will want to replace your IPR or at least know the symptoms of when it is starting to go out (engine will die randomly when it is warmed up and then it won’t start until the IPR is cold again). Also carry a CPS in your glove box with the tools to change it. There is a bushing on the clutch pedal that can wear out and cause some headaches (at least on the OBS’s). I replaced that with a heim joint kit that worked really well. Buenas suerte!!

Yeah, great add to the list. I am really trying to get a handle on everything I need to do so I can tackle it at once. AGM batteries go in this afternoon! Great to know about the bushing on the clutch pedal. That one was definitely NOT on the list. I'll have to do some digging.

jingram

Adventurer
Got the AGM Batteries installed. I went with Northstar X2 Power Premium Group 65 AGMs. They have 930CCA. I have an Odyssey in the Xterra that was bought before Odyssey was acquired by Enersys and it has been running amazingly well for years and years. Hopefully these are just as long lived. I was going to wait to install them until the Ford/Donaldson AIS Severe Duty Intake System came in, but couldn't help myself.

I'll start tearing into the dash to replace the deck and replace a number of burnt out bulbs with LEDs this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_2965 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2965 (Medium).JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3028 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3028 (Medium).JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3029 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3029 (Medium).JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 28

cobro92

Nice rig! Looks just like mine. Mine is also a 2000.

616b18bd4a7303f20dc0b5f43430f920.jpg

Interested to see what you do with yours. Headlights and bumper are on my list but so far basically everything I’ve done has been mechanical.

One thing that I would recommend for reliability is to always keep a test light, glow plug relay, and CPS sensor in your glove box. This is something that my mechanic told me. I went with an aftermarket GPR from White Rodgers and my truck cranks up almost immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jingram

Adventurer
Nice rig! Looks just like mine. Mine is also a 2000.

616b18bd4a7303f20dc0b5f43430f920.jpg

Interested to see what you do with yours. Headlights and bumper are on my list but so far basically everything I’ve done has been mechanical.

One thing that I would recommend for reliability is to always keep a test light, glow plug relay, and CPS sensor in your glove box. This is something that my mechanic told me. I went with an aftermarket GPR from White Rodgers and my truck cranks up almost immediately.

Good to know about the new GPR. I have it on the list! Currently I know I have issues with the starter because if I go tap on it with a rubber mallet, truck starts right up. If I don't, hard start even with the new batteries. I'm going with the Genuine Denso Gear Reduction Starter - DENS-TG228000-8420, when I replace it. The thing is a beast and should put that issue to bed unless I have other issues. New Starter Relay at the same time.

jingram

Adventurer
Well, I got the headlights and grill swapped today. Headlights are OEM and grill is the newer style, but the one with the best reviews from Sinister Diesel with at least the two clips on the bottom. Grill was on sale, so bit the bullet. Went with OE Headlights over aftermarket because it came to a whopping $30 more and I figured the last ones were still in pretty good shape after 20 years. Certainly didn't want to deal with any odd condensation issues, etc. Chose not to bump to the 2005 style and cut the fiberglass front clip. I know I am the odd man out, but actually sort of like the older look and actual amber turn signals.

Certainly freshened up the front end a bit. Changed out all external lighting to LED while I was at it and started tearing apart the dash to replace the other builds, put in the HD relay for the LED bulbs, and replace the deck.

Shocks arrive tomorrow. Going out on a ledge trying Koni's new Truck Shocks, but ran Koni Shocks for years on my street and track cars, so rolling the dice on this one.

Making progress!

Attachments

• IMG_2964 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2964 (Medium).JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2963 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2963 (Medium).JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2960 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2960 (Medium).JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2961 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2961 (Medium).JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 39

jingram

Adventurer
Finished installing the updated lighting in the interior and exterior of the truck and the new Atoto S8 Gen2 Ultra head-unit.

The interior lights made huge difference, especially since I had so many burnt out bulbs. On the head-unit, I am really loving getting digital read-outs from nearly everything via OBD2. Now just need to figure out how to plumb in EGTs. The unit is pretty slick and I also added front and rear cameras at the same time.

Shocks got delayed a day, but have finally arrived in town this evening. They'll go on tomorrow once I have them in hand. Managed to get all of the old units off this afternoon and they appear to be original to the truck and are unsurprisingly totally shot after 21 years and 200K miles.

Attachments

• IMG_3031 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3031 (Medium).JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3032 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3032 (Medium).JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2999 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2999 (Medium).JPG
    156 KB · Views: 45

andy_b

Finished installing the updated lighting in the interior and exterior of the truck and the new Atoto S8 Gen2 Ultra head-unit.

The interior lights made huge difference, especially since I had so many burnt out bulbs. On the head-unit, I am really loving getting digital read-outs from nearly everything via OBD2. Now just need to figure out how to plumb in EGTs. The unit is pretty slick and I also added front and rear cameras at the same time.

Shocks got delayed a day, but have finally arrived in town this evening. They'll go on tomorrow once I have them in hand. Managed to get all of the old units off this afternoon and they appear to be original to the truck and are unsurprisingly totally shot after 21 years and 200K miles.

That is a cool solution for OBD2 data. I used an Edge CTS2 for similar data and the ability to monitor EGTs via their probe.

jingram

Adventurer
Getting the OE shocks off surprisingly wasn't terrible. A bit of the usual cursing and finagling, but they came of relatively quickly and I only had to use the impact wrench on the fronts. I did do the usually PB Blaster presoak a few times over the past few days, so I am sure that helped.

I am excited to get the Konis on there. Like I said, I've used them for years on my track and street cars, but this LT line is new for them. Not many reviews out there, but Grassroots Motorsports did do a review on them and were very positive overall. Usually I'm a Bilstein guy on my trucks, but the Konis are really affordable and worth taking a chance on. They were on sale at Tirerack and I paid roughly $55 per shock. Pretty hard to beat considering they are Koni and that is the same as bargain basement Monroe prices at Autozone. Time will tell if I made a smart choice or not.

Overall, the install went REALLY fast. I did lube up the spindles a bit with some Shinetsu, but that was about it. I was into the install maybe an hour tops and that was with futsing around.

First impressions are really good. Vehicle seems much better controlled without being overly harsh or stiff. It's still a 1 ton truck, but frankly, isn't an uncomfortable ride, even with leafs on the front axle too. Originally I was debating between Bilstein 4600, 5100, and the OME shocks, but people were all over the place. Many saying the Bilstein 5100s were too harsh and others swearing by them. Folks seem torn on the 4600 Bils as well and just few mixed reviews from OME. If Koni had these available for my Xterra, I would probably give them a shot there too, especially since I am still on the original Bilstein units that came with the Pro-4x and am at nearly 100K on the clock.

I'll update this post again as I get more miles on them both loaded and unloaded as they settle in.

Attachments

• IMG_3039 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3039 (Medium).JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3040 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3040 (Medium).JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3041 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3041 (Medium).JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3042 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3042 (Medium).JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3034 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3034 (Medium).JPG
    261 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3035 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3035 (Medium).JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3044 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3044 (Medium).JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3043 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3043 (Medium).JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3036 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3036 (Medium).JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 18

jingram

Adventurer
That is a cool solution for OBD2 data. I used an Edge CTS2 for similar data and the ability to monitor EGTs via their probe.
Yeah, the Atoto head-unit is pretty slick. Surprisingly slick for the cost. I’ll get some additional pics up a little later. Really like having all of this stuff in one unit instead of multiple screens. What you see is Forscan running. Also comes with Torque right out of the box.

cobro92

Getting the OE shocks off surprisingly wasn't terrible. A bit of the usual cursing and finagling, but they came of relatively quickly and I only had to use the impact wrench on the fronts. I did do the usually PB Blaster presoak a few times over the past few days, so I am sure that helped.

I am excited to get the Konis on there. Like I said, I've used them for years on my track and street cars, but this LT line is new for them. Not many reviews out there, but Grassroots Motorsports did do a review on them and were very positive overall. Usually I'm a Bilstein guy on my trucks, but the Konis are really affordable and worth taking a chance on. They were on sale at Tirerack and I paid roughly $55 per shock. Pretty hard to beat considering they are Koni and that is the same as bargain basement Monroe prices at Autozone. Time will tell if I made a smart choice or not.

Overall, the install went REALLY fast. I did lube up the spindles a bit with some Shinetsu, but that was about it. I was into the install maybe an hour tops and that was with futsing around.

First impressions are really good. Vehicle seems much better controlled without being overly harsh or stiff. It's still a 1 ton truck, but frankly, isn't an uncomfortable ride, even with leafs on the front axle too. Originally I was debating between Bilstein 4600, 5100, and the OME shocks, but people were all over the place. Many saying the Bilstein 5100s were too harsh and others swearing by them. Folks seem torn on the 4600 Bils as well and just few mixed reviews from OME. If Koni had these available for my Xterra, I would probably give them a shot there too, especially since I am still on the original Bilstein units that came with the Pro-4x and am at nearly 100K on the clock.

I'll update this post again as I get more miles on them both loaded and unloaded as they settle in.

I am also in need of my new shocks because my 2000 stock shocks are totally clapped at this point. I was planning on getting new ones when I did a lift but if these Konis are that cheap then it might make sense to just do the swap now and then replace them again in a few more months when I actually do the lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles