Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
I guess one can now buy the 10L90-E Supermatic transmission from Chevy Performance: 10L90, Chevy Performance

I like a manual transmission, but the NV 4500 in the truck now is not that stout when connected to 700 lb/ft of torque and the ratios are wide. Having 10 gears and 3 overdrive gears would be smooth as silk and likely get me a significant improvement in fuel consumption. A 4.70 first gear is more than adequate given the 3:1 reduction in the transfer case and the 10L90 is rated at 715 lb/ft from the factory. I would need only connect the TCU to the controller, and the calibration would be very close. Some tuning to address the weight of the truck might be necessary.

I remain amazed at what we can buy these days in terms of drive train options.

Did you ever get the leaky ARB sorted? I have a Detroit locker in my CUCV with an NV4500. When that locker loads/unloads on and off the throttle or clutch, it’s a clunky SOB.

As you well know, the options for the 14ff are limited. I was really leaning towards an ARB, but I don’t want anything problematic or unreliable on the trail. I don’t really plan on rock crawling or having a wheel in the air, so the truetrac would likely suffice.

Ouiwee

Observer
Did you ever get the leaky ARB sorted? I have a Detroit locker in my CUCV with an NV4500. When that locker loads/unloads on and off the throttle or clutch, it’s a clunky SOB.

As you well know, the options for the 14ff are limited. I was really leaning towards an ARB, but I don’t want anything problematic or unreliable on the trail. I don’t really plan on rock crawling or having a wheel in the air, so the truetrac would likely suffice.

Sorry for the slow reply. I also had a Detroit locker and agree they are a pain in the neck (the old version). I pulled the ARB locker and installed a Truetrac and haven't looked back. Clearly, if you end up with a wheel in the air, the locker is better...provided it doesn't have an air leak and works.

Ouiwee

Observer
I just got back from another trip to the Adirondacks and decided a shower curtain/stall was in order. The trouble is where the shower needs to live. It must fit under the tent when the tent is extended and under the shower head. The challenge here is that I would not be able to access the storage locker or the contents of the shelf...

v3nT4IU.jpg

I decided to fabricate a mount that would allow the whole unit to swing out.

d0AcjfL.jpg

The hinge was somewhat involved since I milled it from a solid chunk of 6061 and then welded it to a 1/4 plate that attaches to the bed rack.

CXaHo89.jpg

MEwDqk5.jpg

qh2WvsM.jpg

There is a lug on the hinge that stops the swing arc before the unit strikes the cab.

OS3bxau.jpg

The rear portion of the box has a mount that slides into a tab on the bed rack.

KYZjDvf.jpg

The tab at the top is where a latch will drag it tight to the mount on the bed rack (shown below).

uka8QaQ.jpg

VhVOUsF.jpg

From the top, one can see how the latch will connect to the tab (lower) and pull upward to secure the shower box.

CptAq7K.jpg

I have ordered a stainless latch and will post the final picture once I have it installed.

I weighed the truck with the bed rack installed, full fuel tanks, dog, and myself. She's a big girl at 7,600 lbs.

Ouiwee

Observer
I started another project. I seem to have lost interest in rummaging through pelican cases in the attempt to fix a sammich. It involves aluminium.

KIMG1759.JPG

And it fits approximately here.

KIMG1762.JPG

Part of the challenge with this is the brake work, which requires a large machine. So, I have jobbed out some of the work and it takes some time to get it done.

KIMG1781.JPG

That is a 60" piece of 1/8" aluminum. I originally thought it made sense to put the water tank, pump, and propane tank in the back of the kitchen independent of the slide. Then I decided to have the whole shebang pull out.

Ouiwee

Observer
It's cold out, so I am fitting things together in the dining room. Some of the picture quality is going to suck--just a head's up.

KIMG1782.JPG

Fit up with slides installed.

KIMG1783.JPG

Faucet location.

KIMG1784.JPG

I made the table and china cabinet myself, many years ago.

Initially, I thought the integrated sink and faucet to the right was just the thing. Then I realized I could save a bunch of space by using what I normally use when camping.

KIMG1767.JPG

It collapses, of course, and the contents can be thrown aside.

Ouiwee

Observer
The battery shown in the previous post is an RC car battery. It will run the pump and LED lights.

Some nifty brackets to hold the sink.

KIMG1789.JPG

Sink extended.

KIMG1790.JPG

Sink stowed.

KIMG1793.JPG

One can see the Partner stove location.

The light swivels from the sink over to the stove. I stuck a voltmeter in there as well as a couple of usb charge ports.

KIMG1795.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
Here is the location of the stove.

KIMG1797.JPG

KIMG1798.JPG

Now, what to do with all the space above the stove and sink? I made a box that can double as a step to stand on when cooking (for the less tall among us).

KIMG1808.JPG

It goes right here and slides right in. I figure it will store cookware and food.

KIMG1811.JPG

As viewed from the end with handles and latches installed. The additional switch is for the water pump.

KIMG1810.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
I need a water tank but also a place to put the pump, filter, and propane tank. Here is an initial mock up.

KIMG1816.JPG

I went with 304 stainless but in retrospect, I would just stick with aluminum.

KIMG1817.JPG

KIMG1820.JPG

I turned some 304 to make a pick up. Sorry about the picture.

KIMG1825.JPG

From the bottom.

KIMG1827.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
I had to sort out something for mounting the propane tank. The pump attaches to bolts welded into the stainless tank.

KIMG1830.JPG

It holds about 7 gallons of water.

KIMG1833.JPG

The tank is secured from the top.

KIMG1837.JPG

I had to add some fittings to the tank/regulator to get it all to fit. Here is the pump side.

KIMG1839.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
The space in front of the propane tank holds a cabinet with two drawers and a top that opens up (and provides counter space). I just got the cabinet started this weekend.

KIMG1844.JPG

KIMG1845.JPG

KIMG1842.JPG

I am using baltic birch here because I want to settle on a design I like before fabricating the cabinet from aluminum. The dividers are removable. The cabinet sits on top of the stainless water tank.

I have the frame out to have an aluminum shroud bent to fit over the sides and top of the frame. I will then need to make the front door and rear panel.

Ouiwee

Observer
I forgot to show the pull-out shelf thing that lives in front of the stove.

KIMG1805.JPG

I anticipate the completion of this project in the next few weeks. I'll post up the final product and it's operation once it is completed.

Perhaps this will provide ideas for others that might consider a similar project.

bistarr

This is great, excellent work! Thanks for sharing. Curious to know what tap/faucet you used for your sink?

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Ouiwee

Observer
This is great, excellent work! Thanks for sharing. Curious to know what tap/faucet you used for your sink?

Cheers,

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I found it on the jungle website. It is a

Foldable Kitchen Faucet 360 Rotation Turning RV Caravan Camper Faucet w/Hoses Cold Hot Water Mixer Faucet Copper Silver Tap

by Monipa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles