Great White: A Chevy K10 Build

Ouiwee

Observer
Since I had the supercharger off for a change of pulley, here is what the PCV valve delete looks like.

KIMG0194.JPG

I live next to an orchard. I took the supercharger off and had to vacuum all the stinkbugs.

Some shots.

KIMG0195.JPG

That is a constant tension clamp up top. I reckon it is a waste of money. The intake fits well and should have plenty of flex. I will make a huge filter that will sit on top of the engine with a snorkel...someday.

A shot from the other side prior to plumbing the coolant. I'm not sure I understand why a lot of LS swap guys change input for output hoses on the water pump. In my mind, the infeed should come from the bottom of the radiator where gravity assists.

KIMG0197.JPG

Hose setup on the water pump. I'm not impressed. I just might have to buy some mandrel bends and aluminum pipe and roll my own.

KIMG0198.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
While I had the sump tank out, I decided to drill and tap the 7075 plate that holds the whole affair so as to have a mounting point for the PCV catch can. Here is a shot of the clearance I was able to produce between the tank and the AC compressor. I think it should suffice and if it doesn't I'll just remove the vanity cap.

KIMG0200.JPG

Here is a shot up top.

KIMG0199.JPG

All the little parts that need made, well, the devil is in the details and it is fun indeed. Sorry for the picture quality.

KIMG0201.JPG

The nipple above will connect to a silicone hose that connects to the vacuum port on the throttle body. The climate control requires a vacuum source to operate.

I suppose I need a vacuum reservoir as well since this engine produces boost. I'd prefer not to install an electric vacuum pump. I figure I won't need to since the truck has hydro-boost brakes.

Overall, good progress this weekend based mostly on some good luck.

Ouiwee

Observer
I've been working on the PCV system. I think I have it sorted out.

Some pictures I promised.
KIMG0205.JPG

KIMG0207.JPG

KIMG0209.JPG

KIMG0210.JPG

I am reworking the power steering cooler, but it is cold outside.

Ouiwee

Observer
I spent the better part of the day just working on a vent part. I've gotten fickle about hoses and lines through racetrack adventures. I have two valve covers and a lifter valley to evacuate (or vent, depending on boost) and needed a way to pull all three into one line that goes into the dry sump tank. The gas/puke mixture is funneled around the sump tank to catch oil and then sent on to the catch can.

I did this once with hoses and just couldn't look at it. So, I bent and welded hardlines that merge into a -8 male fitting.

Sorry about this picture.

KIMG0212.JPG

I welded the center section of the merge.

KIMG0213.JPG

I turned a -8 male stainless fitting and welded the whole thing.

KIMG0215.JPG

The barbs on two are larger than the barb on the one below. Here is a test fitting.

KIMG0216.JPG

Ouiwee

Observer
I connect to the OEM fittings with high quality silicone hose and secure them with Oetiker clamps.

KIMG0217.JPG

KIMG0219.JPG

I'll anchor the hard line on the right using the 10mm bolts securing the supercharger cover.

Ouiwee

Observer
I managed to get some work done, despite the foul weather. The PCV system is set up.

KIMG0228.JPG

KIMG0229.JPG

The catch can is installed. Sorry about the picture quality...I ran out of time.

KIMG0227.JPG

I have determined where the power steering reservoir will go.

KIMG0242.JPG

I have one more brace to put on the bottom. The -10 feed is about a foot long and loops around down to the pump.

I got the damper and pulley removed. I should have the ATI damper and pulleys next week. I wired the vehicle speed sensor, the large cooling fan, feed pump, and primary supply pump in the sump. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the feed pump primed itself. It is loud as hell, so I'll have to get some rubber mounts to damp the noise. It produces 10 PSI at the sump tank, just pushing fuel back to the main tank. I can monitor that from now on to identify poor performance/issues before it becomes a problem.

Yet to do:
- Plumb the power steering and get the air bubbles out of the system
- Install the damper and pulleys
- Install the accessory belts
- Reinstall the interior
- Add antifreeze, supercharger coolant, engine oil, power steering fluid, fresh gas
- Prep for start up (heat oil in sump, remove plugs, turn over engine test for oil pressure and remove bubbles)
- Fire it up and check for problems

Kingsize24

Good lord this build is amazing. I always get a bit of a rise when I see you post. LOL

Never a dull moment on this build. Keep it coming!

Ouiwee

Observer
Good lord this build is amazing. I always get a bit of a rise when I see you post. LOL

Never a dull moment on this build. Keep it coming!

Many thanks. It takes me longer because I travel every week for work. I am attempting to do things the right way, as much as I can and know to do...which takes time. And the damned weather here has not been cooperating lately. The truck is too long to sit in the garage and I'd have to store my track car if it would.

Kingsize24

Many thanks. It takes me longer because I travel every week for work. I am attempting to do things the right way, as much as I can and know to do...which takes time. And the damned weather here has not been cooperating lately. The truck is too long to sit in the garage and I'd have to store my track car if it would.

Details take time, I understand. And I never feel I have enough storage space either.

Either way, you are doing it right. Keep on keeping on and it will be done in no time.

Jason

jkroberts

Observer
************ work man! And beautiful truck! I'm partial to the squares myself, I have a K5 and a K15! My K5 has an LS and coilovers, and my K15 has coilovers, with an LS on standby. I'm excited to see how that LT performs!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ouiwee

Observer
************ work man! And beautiful truck! I'm partial to the squares myself, I have a K5 and a K15! My K5 has an LS and coilovers, and my K15 has coilovers, with an LS on standby. I'm excited to see how that LT performs!

It's almost as if they were designing a truck engine with the LT4. I suspect the clutch I have now isn't up to the task of holding 650 ft/lbs. With nearly 480 ft/lbs off idle, it should be responsive, even with 6,500 lbs to push around.

2015-CorvetteZ06-LT4-SAECertified-HPTQcurves.jpg

I think the chart would be easier to understand if both axes were on the same scale. The torque curve is much flatter than what the chart would seem to indicate.

Ouiwee

Observer
I have made some progress. The power steering/brakes are connected and bled as best I can do without starting.

KIMG0257.JPG

The Evap system is all connected and good to go. The fuel system is wired and all seems to be in order.

Another shot of the engine bay.

KIMG0259.JPG

I even managed to build a heat shield for the wire harness that passes near the headers on the passenger side.

KIMG0263.JPG

The picture could be better. I ran out of time so did not get a picture of the shield, but I will tomorrow.

I cleaned up the wiring and got the interior installed, including the seat. The oil has been filled and I removed the plugs, disconnected the fuel pumps, plugged in the oil heater, and turned it over to get some pressure and fill the oil pan. I got 10 quarts in total into the system.

The coolant is filled and ready to go. I'll have to see about purging the supercharger coolant.

I am waiting for the 225 amp alternator (I did get the charge wire built today) and the ATI damper/pulleys. I have the stock damper pulled.

I'll be firing the engine as soon as I get the accessories installed. With any luck, I'll drive the truck this week.

Ouiwee

Observer
Here is the heat shield. I put some gold foil on there to help with radiant heat.

KIMG0264.JPG

It isn't a great picture, but you get the idea. The black cable is a ground to the cab using the same point that Chevy used. I would still like to get some inconel shields built for the headers, but one thing at a time.

Ouiwee

Observer
I got the alternator, damper, pulley, and belts today. Tomorrow, unforeseen issues notwithstanding, I intend to fire her up.

I hope that I haven't forgotten anything important. I wonder how it will sound. I hope the flywheel doesn't fracture in the center from torque and rip out the side of the bell housing. Maybe I'm over thinking things...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior