Great read

billiebob

Taken from the article...

Analysis from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association has shown that pedestrians who are hit by pickups or S.U.V.s are two to three times more likely to die than those who are hit by cars. In fact, the number of pedestrians killed by vehicles rose forty-six per cent between 2010 and 2019. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, if you count deaths against vehicle miles travelled, 2020 saw the largest increase in pedestrian fatalities (twenty-one per cent) since nationwide tracking started, in 1975.

This has me thinking we will eventually see the after market winch bumpers we all love banned from the roads. Front end car design is all about pedestrian safety. Has been for 60 years starting with the spring loaded Marquee hood ornaments.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Taken from the article...

Analysis from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association has shown that pedestrians who are hit by pickups or S.U.V.s are two to three times more likely to die than those who are hit by cars. In fact, the number of pedestrians killed by vehicles rose forty-six per cent between 2010 and 2019. According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, if you count deaths against vehicle miles travelled, 2020 saw the largest increase in pedestrian fatalities (twenty-one per cent) since nationwide tracking started, in 1975.

This has me thinking we will eventually see the after market winch bumpers we all love banned from the roads. Front end car design is all about pedestrian safety. Has been for 60 years starting with the spring loaded Marquee hood ornaments.
Hopefully not in the USA, it really depends on our mindset- do we need the government to protect us from every little thing?

billiebob

Hopefully not in the USA, it really depends on our mindset- do we need the government to protect us from every little thing?
They have been designing vehicles to protect pedestrians for 60 years. Look thru any state vehicle regulation code and tell us which regulations you want repealed. Virtually everything about vehicle safety is highly regulated so..... YES.... even in the USA.

Unsafe-at-Any-Speed-copy.jpg

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
They have been designing vehicles to protect pedestrians for 60 years. Look thru any state vehicle regulation code and tell us which regulations you want repealed. Virtually everything about vehicle safety is highly regulated so..... YES.... even in the USA.

View attachment 705568
We don’t care about you over reaching opinions in the USA, they’re not welcome- you do Canada- and we will abide by that if we visit.

billiebob

We don’t care about you over reaching opinions in the USA, they’re not welcome- you do Canada- and we will abide by that if we visit.
Both of our countries use the same laws regarding vehicles, get used to it this is an International Forum.... If you need a regional forum there are likely many catering to your needs.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Both of our countries use the same laws regarding vehicles, get used to it this is an International Forum.... If you need a regional forum there are likely many catering to your needs.
We don’t use all the same laws-don’t pretend we do. Yes some things carry over but some things are different. I agree it’s an international forum- but we don’t go around telling every other country what they need to do- mind your own…

billiebob

We don’t use all the same laws-don’t pretend we do. Yes some things carry over but some things are different. I agree it’s an international forum- but we don’t go around telling every other country what they need to do- mind your own…
Definitely not ALL.....
But your cars and my cars only differ on tiny issues. Many USA cars are built in Ontario, ALL Canadian Jeeps are built in the USA. Stay on topic, other than daytime driving lights there are very few differences.

Are you sure you guys don't tell other countries what they need to do..... that is why I love international forums, because I know many other countries do things better. Which is why I love International travel. Every country has their strengths and weaknesses, great to find ways to adapt. Well almost every country, North Korea might be a stretch. Altho the people of North Korea are likely hardier and more resilient than most.

wow has this thread ever been hijacked eh

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
We don’t tell them what to do in this forum. I could careless about a Canadians opinion on American road laws. It’s real simple, if you wanted a quilted front bumper while touring the US of A, then knock yourself out- we’ll welcome you with open arms. It’s the suggestion that we need another mandate to save ourselves from the bumpers that I have a problem with.?

ABBB

We don’t tell them what to do in this forum. I could careless about a Canadians opinion on American road laws. It’s real simple, if you wanted a quilted front bumper while touring the US of A, then knock yourself out- we’ll welcome you with open arms. It’s the suggestion that we need another mandate to save ourselves from the bumpers that I have a problem with.

The US of A wouldn’t be great or the power it is unless we were constantly innovating. Our economy and thus our international sway are dependent on our constantly reworking things like bumpers and safety standards. Change is the only constant. You either participate in it or you get left out. A large percentage of American voters are furiously aggrieved currently bc of this very dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
The US of A wouldn’t be great or the power it is unless we were constantly innovating. Our economy and thus our international sway are dependent on our constantly reworking things like bumpers and safety standards. Change is the only constant. You either participate in it or you get left out. A large percentage of American voters are furiously aggrieved currently bc of this very dynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not going to comment on the political part you posted- I am merely saying we don’t care about an outsiders opinion of our laws. Personally I am tired of the American bashing. It’s hit us with one hand while the other hand is extended out asking for money.

NoDak

No, we don't. Doesn't it get tiring trying to be the internet police and make believe lawmaker?

Also, this is an American based forum about overland travel in North America and also International travel. We are all guests here regardless of our country of residence so stop trying to hijack it.

Here is YOUR regional forum billieboy: https://expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/international-expo-chapters.112/

Last edited:

Grassland

I have him blocked, but judging by the responses Billie is telling everyone how to live/think again?
Don't take it personally, he does the same to Canadians as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier