great info comparing Kodiak to Kirkham's Springbar

kingquad700

Wasn't sure if this has ever been posted before http://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/assets/images/Kodiak_Springbar_Comparison_6055.pdf

So you decide, do you want to buy a cheaper tent made in China that has little support after purchase from a fairly new company, or from a tent builder that has been around for over 70 years and you can still mail in for repairs or upgrades right here in the USA?

I happen to own a Kodak for the last 5 years. I have had one problem with it, called the distributor in Utah, and they sent the replacement parts free of charge. Actually they sent all the upgrade parts. If you are referring to Kodiak as "little support after purchase" then you are sadly mistaken and don't know what you are talking about.

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
But with the Springbar, you don't have to deal with all the annoying Chinese knockoffedness

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I'm still quite happy with my Kodiak and the quality is good. It did arrive missing one eyelet, but other than that I have no complaints. It wasn't worth even getting it repaired/replaced and I'm sure Springbar has sent out an imperfect tent before. I actually would have paid the extra for the Springbar just to avoid sending even more money to China. But Springbar had a 6 week lead time, so China got some more of my money. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Both are great products. I think to imply one is better than the other would be hard to justify. I think it comes down to this: If you want to save a bit of money you can get the Kodiak, if you want to buy American you can get the Springbar. But either way I think you'll end up with a quality product you will be happy with.

The_Dude

Adventurer
We have a Kodiak tent and love it. Heavy but makes the wife much happier when sleeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmarsden1968

I've never owned a Springbar, but as a Cub Scout leader, I have nothing but respect.

However, it would be impossible for me to be any more satisfied with a tent than I am with my Kodiak Canvas 10 X 14 VX Deluxe tent. I set it up in the dark for only the 2nd time this past weekend. Staking included it took me 10 minutes. Once up, I had 3 cots and 2 sleeping bags in it with room to spare. It was about 95 degrees F, but with the V windows open we were all manageably comfortable. That heavy vinyl floor made walking around barefoot actually comfortable! In the morning, no moisture build up. I laid there that night as I was falling asleep giving myself mental kudos for making such an excellent choice!

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I just picked up the baby Kodiak 2 person #6086 on clearance at Cabelas ($170 out the door). Looking forward to trying it out this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles