Great ground tents

TwinStick

Explorer
Anyone needing a great ground tent ? They are on super sale at Cabela's. The Alaskan Guide tents are on sale cheaper than I have ever seen them. We ordered 2 of them. 1 for my wife & me & 1 for our daughter. The gift she wanted for her College graduation, & it was on super sale---what are the chances of that ?

TwinStick

Explorer
Well, good for you. Maybe others have yet to purchase theirs & wanted to save some money on one. Which is why i posted it up.

damon1272

Observer
That is a great deal. I have an 8 man alaskan guide for me and my two boys. Only downside is I could never get it back into the original bag. Fits well into a sea bag. Thing is great in the wind, rock solid where at the same camp site 50% of the tents were taken out by 30+ mph winds. Kind of pissed as they are about half the cost of what I paid. I would highly recommend them. The fiberglass poles though are very sturdy though. lots of storage and drink holders inside. Eight man is great to stand up inside and a nice large vestibule. correction - Aluminum poles are not offered anymore.

Last edited:

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
That would be a great tent for the cold and wet conditions that it was designed for. Cool that it has stand up headroom as well.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Anyone needing a great ground tent ? They are on super sale at Cabela's. The Alaskan Guide tents are on sale cheaper than I have ever seen them. We ordered 2 of them. 1 for my wife & me & 1 for our daughter. The gift she wanted for her College graduation, & it was on super sale---what are the chances of that ?

Thank you posting. I love Cabelas gear. We usually make a day of it. Went just a couple of weeks ago. I could spend the whole afternoon in just the Gun Library.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jonnyquest

Adventurer
I have an Oz Tent so I already have a "Great Ground Tent"

I checked out the OZ tents several years ago at the Overland Expo West. I wasn't impressed. Maybe they didn't have it staked properly but the thing was rickety and floppy. And the price! Ho Chi Minh!!! I ended up going with the Spring Bar Outfitter 3. Half the price, much sturdier, MUCH more compact, made in America, and did I mention half the price? Actually less than half. When I expect truly bad conditions, I have a Cabelas Extreme Weather Tent. Super heavy duty with a bunch of tie downs. And still much, much less than an OZ tent. But I'm glad you're happy with yours.

jonnyquest

Adventurer
Owned an OZ Tent as well. Best ground tent money can buy. Only sold it to move to a RTT.

Hmmmm. I spent a lot of time researching tents when I was wanting to buy. I think the truly best, long life, 4 season tent that money can buy is the Dave Ellis Torrent or one of its variations. About the same price as an OZ tent, but exponentially better for foul weather. It packs much more compact than the OZ. Dave will also customize one for you although it's pretty well set up as is. It comes with a stove jack for true winter camping. But the OZ is a fast set up with a smaller foot print than an Ellis. Great for KOA's.

dms1

Explorer
They are discontinuing the original Alaskan Guide tents and replacing it with the Cabela's Instinct® Alaskan Guide® 8-Person Tent which has the aluminum poles.

Winterpeg

I checked out the OZ tents several years ago at the Overland Expo West. I wasn't impressed. Maybe they didn't have it staked properly but the thing was rickety and floppy. And the price! Ho Chi Minh!!! I ended up going with the Spring Bar Outfitter 3. Half the price, much sturdier, MUCH more compact, made in America, and did I mention half the price? Actually less than half. When I expect truly bad conditions, I have a Cabelas Extreme Weather Tent. Super heavy duty with a bunch of tie downs. And still much, much less than an OZ tent. But I'm glad you're happy with yours.

Yep, I have one of those as well and love them.

They are rock solid in the wind. We've retreated into the XWT to get away from the wind before... when it's so windy you have to yell at each other outside.... and inside the XWT it's quite a bit more peaceful.... until the kids start arguing about which bunk they want to sleep on... lol.

Here is a good example video (not my video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymZ2Ls915f8

I love my Alaskan guide tent (4 man) holds up great even in strong midwestern storms (no issues in 50mph gusts with heavy rain). I still havent upgraded to the aluminum poles yet but the fiber glass poles are holding up well.
I dont have any issues getting my tent back into its bag...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles