Greastest Range - Single Tank with the 5VZ?

Howard70

Adventurer
I use our 2000 4runner for my 80 mile/day commute and have been trying to get my greatest range out of a single tank of fuel. Today was my best so far - 460.4 miles.

Filling the tank took 17.3 gallons which works out to about 26.6 m/g. If the tank is 18.9 gallons total (not sure about that) I still had 1.6 gallons left. That would be another 42 or 43 miles - making a 500 mile tank possible.

So has anyone run the 3.4l V6 500 miles on a single tank?

Our 2K 4runner is a bone stock 2wd with 197,500 miles. I get the best mileage running smoothly between 50 and 65 or up to 70 on the downhills or with a good tailwind. My commute is mostly via a flat rural highway (40 - 50 speed limit) with about 10 miles of interstate.

Howard Snell

slus

Adventurer
I'm lucky to get 260 out of a tank, but I have never put in more than 16 gallons. Took about a 2 MPG loss when I put on mud terrains, and another 1 mpg with the roof rack. My 5 speed also gets worse mileage than my auto did on the freeway as I'm turning ~2800 RPM at 70. If I stay under 55 I can pull better MPG but I would also get ran off the damn road by all the crazies in southern california.

4x4mike

Adventurer
The most I've ever gotten was 380 or so out of my '99, 4wd. I've got near stock sized tires but other mods have made me heavier. I've never been able to get more than 16.5 gallons in the tank as it has a few dents in it but it seems every 4runner owner have different capacities.

irish_11

Explorer
I can do 245mi out of my 99 Taco 5vz 5spd. I lose quite a bit with the lift, 32's, ARB up front, etc. But at the end of the day I would rather pay more for this than go back to driving my the Accord I had that I could not comfortably fit in.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Stock tank is right about 18.5gals. I have never seen more than 250 miles out of a full tank, then again I am supercharged. I added an aux tank and can get 500+ miles out of 38 gallons. I have a hard time believing you are getting 400-500 miles out of a full tank of fuel. The only way I see that possible with the 5vz is if you keep rmps below 2,500 for the whole tank of fuel. Oh and you drive on flat ground at sea level with a tailwind!

At 75mph with an auto I am at about 2,300rpms.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
My best since I started tracking mileage in 2008 is 311.5. It only took 17 gallons to fill but the 4Runner did sputter before I got to the pump, so it was pretty much empty. My best mpg was 21.5. This was with 33's and stock gears on a 5 speed.

I am now running 32's and and have had a best mpg of 23.6. I usually fill up around the 250 mile range but from running the numbers, I could easily go over 300 miles on a tank.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
The 2wd definitely helps the MPG because of less weight and rolling resistance from the front diff.

Is this a manual or automatic? Only reason I ask is because my 2004 Taco with the same 3.4 V6 got about 2 - 3 MPG more than my curren 4runner, despite the fact that the weight is about the same, and my observation is that the reason was the transmission (my Taco was a 5 speed manual.) That slushbox soaks up a lot of that power.

I once got an honest 27 mpg out of my Taco, fully loaded with two people. Of course, the circumstances were ideal: I was leaving the mountains and heading mostly downhill, on a freeway, with the cruise control set to about 65.

Howard70

Adventurer
More than 400 miles takes work.....

....I have a hard time believing you are getting 400-500 miles out of a full tank of fuel. The only way I see that possible with the 5vz is if you keep rmps below 2,500 for the whole tank of fuel.....

RMP&O: I don't blame you - I've had a hard time wringing that kind of mileage out of the truck! I do keep the rpms below 2,500 - rarely exceeding 65 unless I'm on the short stretch of downhill on I25 between Albuquerque and Isleta. The rest of my commute is pretty flat, but at 5,000 ft rather than sea level. The progression of "best ranges so far" was 405, then 425, then 430, then 450 and finally the 460 (there were other, lower ranges among these). I've checked the odometer against a GPS and it's fine.

There are several tricks - the first is to get an absolutely good fill. I've found that filling the tank fast until the pump shuts off leaves at least a gallon and sometimes 2 gallons out of the tank. I fill slowly from the start.

Another is don't go too slow. Below 45 the mileage drops off just like it does above 60. I'm lucky because most of the commute has a posted limit of 40 - 55 (outside of the interstate) so I can keep pretty close to 50 - 55 on that stretch. I'm usually outside of the commuter rush on the interstate so I can keep it at 65 on the flat, climb at 55 and descend at 65-70 while there.

I don't bother trying to get these ranges in the winter when the ethanol content of our gasoline is high. If possible I like to fill in the early morning when you might get denser gasoline which might provide more energy per gallon (there are different opinions about that).

Approach traffic lights to minimize idling time stopped, accelerate moderately and don't get stuck at train crossings!

The final trick is to get a good feel for how far you can push the "low fuel" warning light. I can't get over 420 miles without driving at least 40 or 50 miles after the light is on.

Edit - I'm also running Michelin All Weather (but not All Terrain) passenger car tires at 40 - 45 lbs (slightly over inflated). I didn't choose these tires - they were on the truck when we inherited it from my father. But I will replace them with something similar as this set has just turned 110,000 miles! That's the best I've ever gotten from a set of tires (they'll need replacement soon).

The 2wd definitely helps the MPG because of less weight and rolling resistance from the front diff.

Is this a manual or automatic? ....I once got an honest 27 mpg out of my Taco, fully loaded with two people. Of course, the circumstances were ideal: I was leaving the mountains and heading mostly downhill, on a freeway, with the cruise control set to about 65.

Martinjmpr - It's an automatic. I had an experience similar to yours with our 2004 double cab tacoma - about 26 mpg when stock (once, but 23 fairly regularly). After new suspension, 255/85/16's, 4.88s, winch, etc. the absolute best I can do is about 21, and 18 is more common. However, I wouldn't change any of that as the Tacoma is the field truck and the 4runner is the daily driver.

Howard L. Snell

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94