Grease

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Grease. Hopefully a less controversial subject than oil. We'll see.

What kind of grease do you use?

I had been using some random Valvoline stuff. Not really sure what it is. All I know is that when I go to add grease through the zerk, the grease has solidified and won't flow any grease. I have to remove the zerk and heat it with a torch- where it usually spits out flaming hot grease.

But what about the grease inside the ball joint? It can't be in good shape.

I picked up some Green Grease from Advance Auto. I picked it based on some Amazon reviews:

First impression is good. The Green Grease is very tacky- much tackier than my previous stuff. Time will tell.

Explorerinil

Observer
For oil and greas questions I usually go to bob is the oil guy forums. For my wheel bearings I only use redline cv2, I like the 500 degree flash point, it’s a very very good wheel bearing grease. In my boat trailer I use Lucas marine wheel bearing grease. On my grease zerts, my tractor and everything else I use Amsoil heavy duty 5% moly...it’s the grease with a high hoe picture on the tube.

I’ve heard of green grease, whatever you use make sure you read the specs and don’t mix grease of different brands/types.

Explorerinil

Observer

I had been using some random Valvoline stuff. Not really sure what it is. All I know is that when I go to add grease through the zerk, the grease has solidified and won't flow any grease. I have to remove the zerk and heat it with a torch- where it usually spits out flaming hot grease.

I picked up some Green Grease from Advance Auto. I picked it based on some Amazon reviews:

First impression is good. The Green Grease is very tacky- much tackier than my previous stuff. Time will tell.
The grease looks ok spec wise, their website doesn’t list the specs automatically which is telling to me, looks more like marketing gymic at its finest. I think the grease is fair at best and there is much better options.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Greasy information that should give you a lubricating answer!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Doesn't matter much which grease, it's keeping things greased that matters.
And if you use a quickie oil change service, don't trust them to be hitting ALL of your grease fittings. GMT800 vehicles have a fitting on the high side of the steering idler mount that is blocked from below by skidplate and above by intake breather chamber, they never get greased. Nor will the inboard ends of your inner tie rods.

tatanka48

everyone has their opinion about WHICH BRAND to use and i wouldn't begin to dispute anyone's decision

i would however suggest considering using MARINE/OFF ROAD grease(the blue-green stuff)

many years ago i started keeping the stuff in all my guns incl for boat trailers(bearings have lasted over 20 years on one trailer that is still getting dunked in both fresh and salt water), off road toys (including enduro competition bikes), and for all my farming equipment

this decision has been the cause of quite a few heated discussions

all i can say is that i haven't had a failure of any parts due to grease related issues

btw i get mine @ Tractor Supply

T

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Lucas Green Ag and Marine is my go to for hubs and joints. Lucas red and tacky for universals.

MOguy

Explorer

Dino grease can be hard on some rubber materials. I always use synthetic if there are rubber seal, such as a ball joint, U joints TREs. I grease after ever oil change and more often if I am in a lot of water or mud. I get Lucas red tacky 2, or something like that. On my drive shafts, the part that compress I use a GL #1 instead of #2. It is thinner and is supposedly better in places with tighter tolerances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles