Gransfor Brucks Sweden - AXE Review

dwatsonkc

Stilwell, KS
6577847653_1fedbd93a6_z.jpg

I found out about this axe on this webiste sometime back. It is very well built, and a good size. I purchased the Forest Axe. I didn't want one too small or too big. It was sharp as a knife when I pulled it out of the box. It even cut paper just like a good knife.

I used it for about 4 hours today, and it was easy to use. I feel like it needs a few battle wounds on it as it looks too new. I purchased it to use. It still is very sharp after using it today. The picture is on a stack that I cut today about 3' high and 7' Long.

Any suggestions on how I should sharpen this?

I would highly recommend this Axe. Spend the extra money. It will outlive me, and my 2 year old son will give this to his kid. I have a Gerber and this is not in the same ballpark.

Last edited:

ssssnake529

Explorer
I have a small forest axe. I love it too.

Sharpen it like you would a knife, using a whetstone. If you manage to rip a big ding out of the edge, you can use a file to file out the ding, then switch to the whetstone.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
They sell them at Eddie Bauer... Very pretty and tempting. Now I just need to justify the $$$ vs an Estwing

762X39

Explorer
X2 for the Hunters Axe. There is NO comparison to lesser axes in construction but more importantly in use.:coffee:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i went back and forth on what axe i wanted when i was getting a new one, i ended up with a husqvarna and am impressed. same as gransfors and wetterlings, these axes are just in there own field from the regular ol axes i grew up with.

NothingClever

Explorer
X2 for the Hunters Axe. There is NO comparison to lesser axes in construction but more importantly in use.:coffee:

Boys, boys, boys....it's all about the painter, not the brush.

Let's not get snooty about a simple axe....this isn't any different than a bunch of women touting their Gucci shoes when the same style at Dillard's is manufactured in the same plant.

I have the exact same axe for $60 less. It has an American hickory handle, a high-quality leather sheath and the head (El Salvador) holds an edge forever.

That umlaut doesn't mean it will cut wood better than the next guy's axe.

Carry on....

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well no you dont have the exact same axe for $60 less, you just told us its from el salvador, i'm sure its a very different performing axe, not talking quality here, just performance characteristics.

i am always on the lookout for a quality product at a nice price, so, just out of curiosity what is the axe you are comparing? what size bit? what weight head? what length handle? what does the profile look like? uneducated folks dont think so but these are very important things that effect performance and usage.

Last edited:

thecriscokid

Explorer
Boys, boys, boys....it's all about the painter, not the brush.

Let's not get snooty about a simple axe....this isn't any different than a bunch of women touting their Gucci shoes when the same style at Dillard's is manufactured in the same plant.

I have the exact same axe for $60 less. It has an American hickory handle, a high-quality leather sheath and the head (El Salvador) holds an edge forever.

That umlaut doesn't mean it will cut wood better than the next guy's axe.

Carry on....

I don't buy any of that. I highly doubt that Dillard's has there stuff made at same plant as Gucci nor do I think american hickory and El Salvadorian mix can compare to a Swedish work of art. I have only a held a few of these Gransfors Bruks, a few pair of my wifes Gucci shoes(yup they are nice too), I have never found an axe as nice nor had shoes from Dillards.

Lets see this magic a:sombrero:xe

Last edited:

Manimal

They are not made at the same factory as other axes. They have been made the same way for the last 100 years at Gränsfors Bruk. Each axe is made by one person not by a Chinese assembly line. The axe smiths initials is engraved on each axe. You can read more about the history here: http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/index.html

Last edited:

NothingClever

Explorer
Alrighty...let me get a pic tomorrow.

That'll give you snooty girls ( :D ) 24 hours to memorize every nuance of your exclusive hand axes so you can quickly gossip down the one I bought from Sportsman's Warehouse.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well i for one am not plannin to gossip down your axe,,, as i said its not the same as the above axes but that doesnt mean its not a quality tool. i am more interested in the profile and size of it because the forest and tradition axes of europe have been designed over time to meet a need. most of the axes found in the usa for example are 36" handle big bit axes that arent all that great at carrying around and general use. dont think ive ever seen an axe from el salvador, i am really interested in what ya got.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
All very well and good, but around here, we need an axe that can chop wood as well the occasional 300+ lb. boar.
I'm thinking something Dwarvish from the Gimli Axe Mfg. Co.

Cheers,
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior