GrandiOdyssey: Circumnavigating the Globe in a '19 Tacoma Build Thread

Dalko43

Explorer
With a pickup, the need for larger replacement or auxiliary fuel tanks is greatly reduced. Just throw jerry cans in the bed and you're golden.

For the trip you're looking at I'd take OME (the old nitrocharger shocks or the new BP-51's) over Icon's and King's any day of the week. Yes the later two may offer somewhat better performance, but OME is well known for durability.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
This sounds like a great adventure! Make sure to check the requirements for car importation in Australia and New Zealand, they can be quite serious (i.e.clean car).

This sounds like a great adventure! Make sure to check the requirements for car importation in Australia and New Zealand, they can be quite serious (i.e.clean car).
Thanks Christian! Yes I have already started looking into carnet, road worthiness inspection, insurance, and customs clearance info, AZ and NZ are definitely on the strict side but nothing insurmountable.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
You’re travelling around the world, not California
If I was driving a 2019 2GR-FKS when I found good, clean gasoline (rather petrol, "gas" could mean diesel) I'd want to be able to fill up several cans. Same with suspension, I'd stick with easier to find OME for when the shocks blow out or a spring breaks. I'd ditch the fancy U.S. junk and stick to stock or common aftermarket things I'd actually find in the rest of the world. Although being stuck waiting on FedEx to deliver a stem seal or whatever bit you need makes for a good story later.

Finally had a chance to start in on some modifications today...
  1. First up was the TRD Pro grille as this really improves the look over the stock setup.
  2. Next was the Wet Okole Seat covers. These were a bit difficult to install due to their tight fit and finicky straps however the once they you get them lined up properly the fit great and have excellent fit and finish. I feel confident that these will be able to take some abuse.
  3. For floor protection we went with the Weathertech fitted floor mats (which even have special design to accommodate the cloth pedal on MT models). The fit is superb and I can't wait to see these covered in Siberian mud.
  4. To help arrange many small items such as chargers, battery packs, adaptors, etc we went with the Vehicle OCD glovebox organizer and tray. I really like the design which makes the most out of the small space by having so many separate compartments. The fit and finish is also top notch so we will also be adding the vehicle OCD glovebox organizer in the future.
  5. We found a seat back organizer on Alibaba for a fraction of the cost of the "overland" organizers and decided to give it a shot. We were pleasantly surprised by huge sturdy this thing is so we will likely use it on at least one of the seat backs.
  6. Finally we added some OEM mud flaps which are made of hard plastic. I'm not sure if these will rub when I get the 33in KM3s so I may need to cut them down in the future or get some rubber ones.
  7. I am planning on removing the 60 portion of the rear seats leaving only the single rear seat on the driver side...Does anyone have idea how to best utilize this space for storage of heavy items such as tools, drinking water, camping gear, recovery gear, etc? See a picture of the space I am referring to attached below
Til next time...
-GrandiOdyssey

Attachments

• IMG_0748-2.jpg
    IMG_0748-2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 122
  • 47293132712_69928165ec_o.jpg
    47293132712_69928165ec_o.jpg
    762.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 47345803691_e710f6605d_h.jpg
    47345803691_e710f6605d_h.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 111
  • 46430807885_18a7f7b32b_h.jpg
    46430807885_18a7f7b32b_h.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 103
  • 47345803131_91a8485356_h.jpg
    47345803131_91a8485356_h.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 46430807455_d10d2e303e_h.jpg
    46430807455_d10d2e303e_h.jpg
    978.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 46430807285_cb5cd804d3_h.jpg
    46430807285_cb5cd804d3_h.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 47345800861_1410ffcf95_h.jpg
    47345800861_1410ffcf95_h.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 91
  • 46430806905_e32e1ae8e1_h.jpg
    46430806905_e32e1ae8e1_h.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 40380459673_c80bfd96aa_o.jpg
    40380459673_c80bfd96aa_o.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 102

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Good luck with your trip preparations. I will be following this with excitement and jealousy. Not that any of us are world travelers so our advice is only worth $.02, but I echo what has already been said. I would choose suspension parts that are more available world wide like OME.

nickw

Adventurer
Tentative Build BOM:

Suspension:

-Custom Valved Icon Stage 6 suspension with 700lb front coils, OME heavy rear leafs with + 1 add-a-leaf
-Superbumpkit Poly Front and Rear Bump Stops
- +2 in rear brake lines

Engine:
-Stock

Trans/ Diffs:
-Stock 6spd MT (will test how well stock MT gearing works when loaded and running 33s...feels pretty short as is)
-Stock rear locker
-ARB diff breathers

Tires:
-255/85/16 E rated BF Goodrich KM3 (~33in diameter)

Body:
-Dobinsons snorkel kit
-BAMF full skids (may not run all of these due to weight concerns)
-BAMF rock sliders
-CBI aluminum front bumper
-CBI aluminum rear bumper (if available)
-Toyota OEM mud flaps
-TRD Pro Grille

Interior:
-Wet Okole front seat covers
-48 State Overland USB accessory mount
-RAM mount
-Vehicle OCD glove box and center console organizers
-Alibaba seatback organizers
-Custom light weight storage boxes in place of rear seats
-YI front and rear dash cam
-Campark action cams
-Weathertech floormats

Communications/NAV:
-Baofeng UV-82HP HAM radio with antenna extension
-Garmin inReach Explorer+
-iPad
-iPhone

Lighting:
-Cali Raised 20in LED (fitted into CBI bumper)

Misc:
-ARB single compressor with CBI under hood mount
-5 gallon NATO jerry can with mount
-Tuffy behind seat cubby

Recovery:
-2x Maxtrax
-Warn 87310 9.5 xp-s with synthetic rope
-Factor 55 flat link shackle
-Mophorn air jack
-Warn medium recovery kit
-Snatch strap

Habitat:
Four Wheel Camper Swift Model
Options:
-Furnace
-Thermal pack
-Yakima roof tracks
-Water heater and outdoor shower
-2 way fridge
-2 160watt solar panels with charge controller
-Power roof vent
-2 deep cycle batteries
-ARB awning
-Rigid Industries flood lights

Gear:
Over time we will add our gear list here
Nice truck!

What's the logic with the 255/85's? Most seasoned international travelers go with something that is more widely available, like 235/85's ore 265/75's, both 32". For international availability, 7.50R16 is probably the most available, which is essentially a 235/85. Smaller tires are also going to net you better mileage and less wear and tear on the drivetrain / knuckles / ball joints. What about re-gearing? I'm guessing it's a real possibility that you'd want to with 33"+ tires and as much weight as you are packing, particularly if you are going to be doing any off-piste travel.

I'd also opt for the std. OME lift over any sort of custom valved / proprietary spec system. The OME stuff is easily replaceable anywhere in the world.

Nice truck!

What's the logic with the 255/85's? Most seasoned international travelers go with something that is more widely available, like 235/85's ore 265/75's, both 32". For international availability, 7.50R16 is probably the most available, which is essentially a 235/85. Smaller tires are also going to net you better mileage and less wear and tear on the drivetrain / knuckles / ball joints. What about re-gearing? I'm guessing it's a real possibility that you'd want to with 33"+ tires and as much weight as you are packing, particularly if you are going to be doing any off-piste travel.

I'd also opt for the std. OME lift over any sort of custom valved / proprietary spec system. The OME stuff is easily replaceable anywhere in the world.
For the tire size we needed something that would be an extremely durable offload E rated tire that would fit on stock wheels, provide more ground clearance than stock, and would not rub with a 1inch lift. The 255/85/16 KM3s were a great high clearance option but we have also been looking into LT265/75/R16 KM3s as a lower clearance option. In terms of replacements BFG has large worldwide dealer network and we will carry two spared between two trucks as well as patch kits. Worst case scenario we would just replace all 4 four tires with whatever is available if we are in a pinch.

Given that our truck is a 6sp MT hopefully we will be able to avoid re-gearing (especially if we go with the 265/75/16s) given that the stock gearing is very short however we will test extensively at full load to see how the truck does.

With the respect to the suspension we have already purchased the Icon setup and had it custom valved for the the weight we will be carrying so I don't see us downgrading to something like OME. We will carry Icon rebuild kits and a nitrogen valve so any good motorcycle shop should be able to rebuild these but we will also talk to Icon about a swap program in case we get in a pinch that we can receive a spare via express mail.

DaveInDenver

I run 235/85R16 KO2 range-E with a 6 speed stick, although in a 2nd gen so 4.0L, on factory 7" rims. It's at the limit of needing to be re-geared (I got 3.73 stock). I intend to go up to 255/85R16 when I replace them but it will be coupled with lower gears, probably 4.56. My truck isn't nearly as heavy as yours though I do a lot of going up and coming down in elevation. Be aware that 255/85R16 might rub depending on wheel backspacing and suspension. I run Camburg upper arms so there's no adjustment, just a +2 degrees of built-in caster. I'll be running 1st gen Taco wheels to get a little less backspacing to hopefully clear the frame at full lock.

I run 235/85R16 KO2 range-E with a 6 speed stick, although in a 2nd gen so 4.0L, on factory 7" rims. It's at the limit of needing to be re-geared (I got 3.73 stock). I intend to go up to 255/85R16 when I replace them but it will be coupled with lower gears, probably 4.56. My truck isn't nearly as heavy as yours though I do a lot of going up and coming down in elevation. Be aware that 255/85R16 might rub depending on wheel backspacing and suspension. I run Camburg upper arms so there's no adjustment, just a +2 degrees of built-in caster. I'll be running 1st gen Taco wheels to get a little less backspacing to hopefully clear the frame at full lock.
Good to know Dave! After seeing how the truck feels with over 500lbs in the bed and looking at the shipping container door heights I think it may be a good idea to go with the 265/75/16 instead (31.6'' diameter) as opposed to the the 33'' tire.

nickw

Adventurer
Good to know Dave! After seeing how the truck feels with over 500lbs in the bed and looking at the shipping container door heights I think it may be a good idea to go with the 265/75/16 instead (31.6'' diameter) as opposed to the the 33'' tire.
265/75's work well for Tom Sheppard, and he's been known to do a expedition here or there :) I think it will work better for your needs personally.

Attachments

• 1552405746755.png
    1552405746755.png
    393.9 KB · Views: 47

DaveInDenver

265/75's work well for Tom Sheppard, and he's been known to do a expedition here or there :) I think it will work better for your needs personally.
As I understand it 265/75R16 is a common size around the world whereas the 255/85R16 is hard to come by. It's not even all that common State-side.

nickw

Adventurer
As I understand it 265/75R16 is a common size around the world whereas the 255/85R16 is hard to come by. It's not even all that common State-side.
Yes correct, 265/75s, 235/85s and 7.5R16 are all within 1/4" height of one another so IMO all fit into that "global" tire size spectrum. Obviously width varies, 10.4", 9.3" and 8.X" respectively....

Last edited:
Update! We just placed the order for our Swift Four Wheel Camper! We decided go with the two roof vents, thermal pack, hot water heater with outdoor shower, and forced air furnace in order to improve general comfort over a wide range of temperatures that we will encounter and to have the ability to wash up while on the road. The two way 65 liter refrigerator also gives us more space to store perishable food while using a relatively low amount of electricity.

In addition to the options spec'd from FWC we will be adding our own second 12v deep cycle battery in the camper with two 160 watt solar panels, a 400w solar charger controller, an ARB awing with wall attachments, a water filtration system, and some jerry can holders attached to the steel jack mounts.

Let me know if anyone has any other suggestions for FWC modifications in order to improve general livability, storage, etc.

PS during the 40% off TRD sale we also managed to purchase the '19 TRD Pro wheels (gloss black) which should look great in combination with our charcoal FWC.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 41

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles