Grand Wagoneer ?

MR. ED

Observer
I'm in the market for a new truck. I've always had a soft spot for the FSJ's, especially the GW. I've done a bit of research but, I'm still on the fence. I found an 85 with 95,000 miles, descent condition. I really like these rigs but, it's almost 30 years old! I'm somewhat mechanical but not much of a tinkerer! Looking for something, after very little modification, that can tackle mild Moab trails and get us into the hills a bit. Depending on where I read they are either really great or very unreliable! Wondering if I want to spend 10k on such an old rig or pay a bit more and get a 100 series cruiser-really like these as well! The GW does get horrible mileage, but the cruiser doesn't do too much better! Any advice for or against is appreciated. The thought of being broke down on the side of the road with 3 whiny kids is not appealing to me at all. Thanks.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
As much as I love Waggys, based solely on your description of your situation above, I would suggest you go shop for a used JKU (3 kids!!) and skip the GW. Might need more than $10k, but without the ability to properly go through the old GW, correct and upgrade its weak spots, and be prepared to deal with unexpected failures on the trail, you will likely be unhappy with the GW. I don't mean to be a buzzkill, but sometimes the fantasy is a lot better than the reality of dealing with an older rig.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
If you could locate a rust free one with a blown motor, have a current 5.3 drive train put in, you could make it damn near reliable. Diesel would be better but would blow the 10k out of the water. Find someone that is selling their project and go with it. For the Xtra $$ a cruiser would cost you would still have a used vehicle with unknowns. The devil that you know is better than the one you don't. :)
Waggy- Rides like a Cadillac, retro coolness and not one of the herd. Very beefy components from the factory and minor mods will net big improvements. Most parts are easy to find and relatively cheap for basic maintenance. Plus its built like a tank!

haven

Expedition Leader
Just as an aside, Jeep is considering resurrecting the Grand Wagoneer. It would be a version of the Grand Cherokee, stretched in wheelbase to permit a third row of seats.

Jeep already makes a stretched version of the GC. It's sold as the Dodge Durango.

[hijack mode off]

MtnClimber

Ready To Explore!
I had a '78 2 door with a 360 and 35's. Loved it except for the PO mickey mouse a lot of the engine wiring harness. Sold it. Miss it. Want another one...
$10K seems like a lot but that must means it's rust free and in immaculate condition!

MR. ED

Observer
Went and checked it out today. Very nice. Rust free. Interior was CLEAN. 3 speed transmission was a little slower than I expected. Yesterday I was ready to trade in my truck. Today not so much! The search continues.

Weeds

Adventurer
I have had a couple of waggys only older. A 1985 model has lots of electronics that don't always work well. Also expect 10 to 12 miles per gallon.
Good luck on your decision.

Skyler White drives one so thats cool. But one of my co workers drove one for several years and he had some finicky problems with things you would never think would break. The weirdest one was the plastic window track would always break on him and he would be stuck with a window down and it was never at a good time to have a window down lol. But I too have a soft spot for the SJ! We finished building one about 6 months ago, this thing is super sweet! King coilovers in the front with an LS2 under the hood, caged etc etc. Should be coming out in 4Wheel Drive mag. pretty soon if not already!

MR. ED

Observer
Photos may help push me over the edge. Hard for me to think about giving up my truck, even though it's starting to add up. That 3 speed sure was slow. Thanks everyone.

murryconst

Observer
My old jeepImageUploadedByTapatalk1371539183.299919.jpg
6" lift 33x10.50 tires
Doing 350/400swap
Do miss it
If lifting to spring over lift ride is way better

Not "Grand Waggys" but my two Wagoneer's. The yellow one used to belong to Brian Chuchua, hence the transit yellow factory paint.

The tan one is my DD, and I drive from Wrightwood, CA to Hollywerd, CA few times a week with virtually no problems. We also use it for camping too.

IMGP4884.jpg

IMGP3089.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke