Grand Staircase-Escalant National Monument

Alex

Adventurer
Ever since I first visited this place with my Volkswagen Vanagon I have wanted to return with something that will stray a little farther off the beaten path. That time came this Memorial Day Weekend. My Sweetie and I had 4 days off and a Jeep loaded with camping gear to go with an ambitious list of sights to visit.

We left Albuquerque at 4:30am with hopes of catching the noon ferry at Halls Crossing. According to our GPS the ETA at the ferry was 12:05 so we took a slight detour down the Nokai Dome Road to the beginning of the Hole in the Rock Trail, where we had a hot lasagne off the manifold for lunch under the big cottonwoods of the camping area.

We arrived at the ferry ramp a few minutes early, pulling into line behind a BMW (big Morman wagon, according to the license plate frame.)
orig.jpg

We made a stop at the visitor center at Bullfrog Marina to grab a pile of maps and stuff, then headed north to the Burr Trail. These are the kind of road signs I love!
orig.jpg

The switchbacks on the Burr Trail, find the H3 Hummer for bonus points!
orig.jpg

In Muley Twist Canyon there appeared a sight for tired eyes... a beautiful roadside campsite all of our own.
orig.jpg

Next morning we drove the rest of the way up canyon, admiring wildflowers and arches aplenty along the way. The option we took at the end of the road was the hike to the Strike Valley overlook, which afforded otherworldly views of the Waterpocket Fold.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

We caught Scenic Highway 12 and a bunch more traffic at the metropolis of Boulder, UT. Dodging cars, motorhomes, busses and Harleys we headed for Calf Creek Recreation Area. The parking area looked like Dec. 23 at the mall so we kept on going, to the Interagency Visitor Center in Escalante. I have looked at the dotted line labeled "Left Hand Collet Canyon" on the map for years and wanted to drive throught there. The road conditions report on the Monument website shows it as impassable so I inquired at the visitor center. The desk ranger stated that it had washed out in the big floods of last October and didn't know when it was going to be fixed. This was belivable as I had spent a memorable week in Moab and Canyonlands during those big rains. While there I scored a road map for the Monument, as well as a flyer about the Twentymile Creek Dinosaur Trackway.

Alex

Adventurer
Believing the road report to be correct we took Smokey Mountain Road out of Escalante, instead of Hole in the Rock as originally intended. Another of those lovely road signs:
orig.jpg

...and a big surprise as we headed down Left Hand Collet: Fresh tracks of a front end loader that had cleared the road!
orig.jpg

We made a nice, quiet campsite right next to the road in the middle of the canyon, figuring nobody was driving that road anytime soon. I can see how the road could wash out bad enough to become impassable, the road and the creek share the same bed much of the time.
orig.jpg

When morning came, we verified that the road was clear all of the way to Hole in the Rock.
orig.jpg

After satisfying our curiosity we went to the dino tracksite. There are two types of tracks found here. Here is an example from a three-toed carnivorour therepod:
orig.jpg

A herbivorous sauropod left elephant-like tracks here also:
orig.jpg

In some places I literally walked in the footsteps of giants!
orig.jpg

This location must have really been teeming with life 170 million years ago as there were tracks upon tracks.
orig.jpg

Follow the shoes to see where this big guy (or gal) dragged their tail in the sand...
orig.jpg

Last edited:

Alex

Adventurer
After indulging in Jurassic Park fantasies we made the long, bumpy but colorful drive over the Kaiparowits Plateau to Lake Powell. Talk about a wide variety of terrain!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

After driving the better part of the day we found our reward: Alstrom Point.
orig.jpg

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly as we rested on folding chairs in the shade of our Cherokee's tailgate and watched the light changing on the land and waters of Gunsight Bay.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

It was by far the best trip we did in that whole month!

A map of our wanderings...
orig.jpg

...and more photos can be found here:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/A183AF7F91A33D3

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Most excellent web wheeling for me! Thanks for the post! I've driven the White Rim trail and this looks like something to plan for too.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Alex said:
After indulging in Jurassic Park fantasies we made the long, bumpy but colorful drive over the Kaiparowits Plateau to Lake Powell. Talk about a wide variety of terrain!
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

After driving the better part of the day we found our reward: Alstrom Point.
orig.jpg

The rest of the afternoon passed quickly as we rested on folding chairs in the shade of our Cherokee's tailgate and watched the light changing on the land and waters of Gunsight Bay.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

It was by far the best trip we did in that whole month!

A map of our wanderings...
orig.jpg

...and more photos can be found here:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/A183AF7F91A33D3

Crazy! Check out www.soaztim.com I was in the same area and took some of the same photos. I too went through collet canyon and even mentioned that it looked like we were the first to go through it since a blade had come through! We camped in the middle of it.
I never saw you, but we must have crossed paths... somewhere! :wings:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Your photo from Alstrom Point is breathtaking....

Great photos and write up. Renting a house boat on Lake Powell for a week or so has been on my trip-wish-list for awhile now.

Very cool stuff - :beer:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
cruiseroutfit said:
Looks like a great trip, excellent pictures! :cool:

Left Hand Collet Canyon is washed out, but passable... we drove it in December.
Its like a highway now. I'm glad or I might have been stuck and alone last weekend.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Outstanding! Your trip is wonderful, the photos downright stunning!

That's an area I've wanted to explore for some time, but "drama" at my office always seems to ruin my plans. :(

Maybe later this year?
:sombrero:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
One of my top ten favorite areas - thanks for sharing your trip and photos.

I never get tired of that view

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
SOAZ said:
Its like a highway now. I'm glad or I might have been stuck and alone last weekend.

Ah ha, I re-read and noticed you DID do Left-Hand Collet Canyon, I see a couple of pics that look familiar, albeit a much smoother road :D

Again, great pics & report :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94