Grand Cherokee ZJ Builds (Share you pictures)

OceanOneH

I recently started building my Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ 1998, but have had difficulty finding parts for it. I was wondering If anybody else has their ZJ set up for an overland adventure? I'd like to see how people build theirs.

** I'll upload some of my rig in the next few days.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Mine’s more of an adventure rig. Not quite overland, not quite crawler. What parts are you looking for? Bummed I didn’t get the matching front bumper to this rear before they stopped making it.

787586c95c962cb26da0a01a89f83403.jpg

e91ef07ecdc17ed751be0b106fdb3817.jpg

bd498f68d0f9afe126449c5f0ddc0bc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OceanOneH

That's a nice looking ZJ! the gorund clearance on it, too. I like the rear bumper on it, too. It looks like it doesn't weigh as others I've seen.

I believe mine is in between two worlds, too. Not full overland, not just for fun, just tried to make it look good. I recently had a trip to the car wash and the water pressure was too much for the door trim panels. I am now missing my passenger side rear door exterior trim.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Plenty of ZJ parts out there, check out Clayton's, Iron Rock, Kevin's Off Road (he's retiring, but may some stuff left), and Iron Man.

The biggest weak point on a ZJ IMO is the factory upper control arm mounts. With heaver tires and axles they are prone to tearing off the unibody, especially if it's already been weakened by rust. This is fixed by going to long arms, which is expensive, but also gives a much better on and off road ride on a lifted ZJ. Some people will lift ZJ's 4"+ and stick with short arms, but I personally wouldn't do it. If you plan on heavy use, I would reinforce the unibody before it's too late. Mine has been wheeled for close to 20 years and is held together with bailing wire and duct tape.

Smileyshaun

Observer
I really miss mine some days , I went with the3” rubicon express super flex kit and some fender trimming to stuff in a set of 33x10.50 . It rode and drove great but if I had to do it again I would have gone with the super ride kit . The super flex kit works extremely well but having metal joints on both ends of the arms transmitted a ton of noise into the cabin 08D86EDE-1D00-4538-90CD-58D96D87C626.jpeg

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
That's a nice looking ZJ! the gorund clearance on it, too. I like the rear bumper on it, too. It looks like it doesn't weigh as others I've seen.

Thanks! Yours looks great. I’m blanking on the company that made my bumper but it is the prerunner style bumper and it weighs significantly less than most of the boxed bumpers which was one of the main reasons I went for it. Love the roof rack but just can’t get myself to go there yet as I’ve rarely needed one and I hate listening to them on the freeway haha but it would be nice to have somewhere to put more gear sometimes that isn’t inside the cabin.

I agree about the long arms though. I’ve driven ZJs with short arms and although it’s not bad, having long arms completely changes the dynamic of the vehicle. I’ve got the 4.5” rubicon express long arms and it rides super smooth and handles better than you would think with that much height added.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
I think Proto-Fab is the manufacturer on that bumper, not sure they're making them anymore either.

Yes! Proto-Fab! They don’t make any ZJ stuff anymore, last time I checked it was all classic Bronco stuff :(

Looks good. I really need to regear one day. Clayton is a 4 or 3 link in the rear?

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Regearing made a big difference for me. It was tolerable on 33's with 3.73's and bolt on mods to my V8, but with the 35's it really needed the gears. Ditched my Dana 35 a long time ago (15+ years) too for an 8.8. Yours should have the 44A so you've at least got a halfway decent axle for a mild build already.

The Clayton's set up is a triangulated 4 link in the rear. I've been running it for 13 years now I think? My current ZJ's unibody is pretty beat, but I have a 5.9 that I'll be swapping everything over to here soon, and will definitely be keeping the Clayton's.

Little Foot

Crawler/Overlander
Yah I have 33s right now and it’s tolerable, as you say. Been running the RE lift since 2011 I think but started in 32s and moved up to 33s a couple years later. Dana44a is a decent axle I don’t mind it, so I’ll probably just gear it one day unless I find some cheap axles to swap in and I feel like doing some fab work.

I was also thinking of getting a 5.9 and swapping everything over but the RE crossmember is welded to the frame in the rear. Either way I’m thinking of changing the rear over to the Iron Rock Off-road with the truss over the rear axle. I’ve broken/tweaked, reworded, replaced the track bar bracket too many times haha

rnArmy

Adventurer
98 ZJ 4.0, auto. Iron Rock (IRO) 3.5" lift, 31" tires on factory rims, A real Dana 44 (NOT a 44A) rear, Dana 30 front with 4.10 gears and True Tracks front and rear. RC winch mount with a Superwinch 9500lb winch.

The 4.0 seemed to have plenty of power. You don't really need a V-8 (in my opinion).

Attachments

• IMG_20160607_183859.jpg
    IMG_20160607_183859.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 91
  • ZJ parking garage.1.jpg
    ZJ parking garage.1.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 63
  • ZJ parking garage.2.jpg
    ZJ parking garage.2.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

jpat30

Adventurer
Nice looking rig you have there. I do love well built grands, I had until recently a WJ... As previously mentioned, try IRO and Kevins. And I see you from your plates, you are a Texan, what part? I am down in the Beaumont area myself.

nick_n_ii

Thanks! Yours looks great. I’m blanking on the company that made my bumper but it is the prerunner style bumper and it weighs significantly less than most of the boxed bumpers which was one of the main reasons I went for it. Love the roof rack but just can’t get myself to go there yet as I’ve rarely needed one and I hate listening to them on the freeway haha but it would be nice to have somewhere to put more gear sometimes that isn’t inside the cabin.

I agree about the long arms though. I’ve driven ZJs with short arms and although it’s not bad, having long arms completely changes the dynamic of the vehicle. I’ve got the 4.5” rubicon express long arms and it rides super smooth and handles better than you would think with that much height added.

Proto Fab is who built that rear bumper. I almost bought the same years ago with my first ZJ... (07-08ish)

slomatt

Adventurer
I sold my ZJ a long time ago, but still miss it sometimes. It wasn't the most reliable truck on the planet, but it was great on the trail.The fenders were heavily cut to allow 33x12.5x15s to fit with only ~3" of lift which kept the center of gravity low. Build details can be found here.

Most of the drivetrain should hold up to 33" tires pretty well, but if the front driveshaft has a CV joint then it can break if heavily shock loaded. After I fragged mine I replaced it with a new driveshaft with a 1310 u-joint, and also upgraded the front axles to chromoly ones with 760x joints. The viscous coupler in the NP249 transfer cases tends to fail leaving the center differential "locked", which is not the worst thing when offroad.

30_Matt_obstacle2.jpg

2941131740_f40cc8664d_b.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz